Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electrical problems

Ryan thompson

I have a Ford Fiesta zetec 1.4L and I’ve been having problems. I have been at uni for a few months and stupidly didn’t have the car started for a while, when I got back the car wouldn’t start and the electrics and displays weren’t showing unless I held the key at an angle. I assumed it was the battery that had died so I got my battery replaced, but it’s exactly the same problem... I was hoping someone might know why the electrics wouldn’t be working. Also if I turn the key fast it will start the engine but it only stays on if I hold the key fully turned, as soon as I let go the engine switches off... please help

many thanks,

ryan 

If I understand you correctly then the ignition switch is faulty. From what you describe it never sounded like it could be the battery. Under the steering column shroud there will be the electrical switch bolted to back of the mechanical ignition lock. Sounds more likely to be the electrical bit than the mechanical lock

Can you open the doors and close them with the key fob. Does the key fob have a bettery in it that might be flat. Have you tried a second key.

battery in key fob only affects the remote locking buttons. It does not affect the way it works in the ignition lock. The immobiliser chip is a lump of carbon or glass which is not connected to any power or anything else. It is kind of scanned by radio waves or something coming from the sensor thing by the ignition lock. Also, I think, but don’t guarantee it 100%, the car checks immobiliser chip In key only as you start the engine, once engine is running it would not matter if immobiliser chip was moved away from car (eg if key was broken and immobiliser chip fell out).  From the original post it does not sound like a key problem, but a problem with the lock or the electrical switch on the back end of the lock. It shouldn’t be hard to remove plastic shroud to access it

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club