Sign in to follow this  
akira84729

2012 Ford focus will not start after indescript malfunction error

Hi All i'm in desperate need of advice here.

stuck at work. car won't start. i have 2012 Ford focus so i think Mk3. i was sitting the garage at work when it throw an malfunction message.i turned the car off immediately thinking the tone was due to it overheating or something. and now it won't turn on. i've read any number of things could be the issue from the bolts for the starter and alternator being lose, to a blown fuse, or even an immobilizer  malfunction. 

im coming here to ask if anybody else has encountered this issue before, and what their fix was? there seems to be no issue with battery, starter, or alternator. i unplugged the battery for about 30 minutes and it started. buuut, the power steering didn't work and when i turned it off and tried to start it back up it didn't start. desperately needing help and would appreciate any advice. 

Sounds like the battery is knackered, electric power steering failure is usually a good sign of that.

Ultimately you'll need a code reader on it if it's not just the battery...so best to call your Breakdown for tonight if you have any.

Also, check the battery negative black lead where it is connected to the car chassis. Is the bolt loose and does the lug make good contact with bare metal. Try using another battery to jump start it.