Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Legal?

H1ghlander1977

Only a guess, but if legal, the site would say so loud and clear. They don't look right to me, the pictures look like the car has a lighting fault, only my opinion and I'm not into modifying.

USDM means they are manufactured for the United States Domestic Market so they are unlikely to be ‘E’ marked, which means if you were pulled over you would have no proof it was a legal mod. One of the questions on the page asks about MOT and they do say that it depends on the tester, which to me says ‘no they arent’. 

Having said that, they aren’t bright so won’t dazzle if they are on with your dipped beam. Not sure if you are allowed to have amber as a solid colour of illumination on the front of a vehicle, Clive would be placed to answer that one. 

For what it’s worth, I’m not a fan but it’s not my car and you don’t have to care what I think lol, but if I see you about I’ll know who you are 🤪

• Thanks 1

I doubt if they would be illegal on a car that did not have DRLs when new

• Thanks 1

Well I'm going in all gung-ho and say they look pretty good on the websites pics , its a subtle yet dsitinctive mod 

As for the legalities , well being realistic its probably of little interest to traffic police with all the other illegal vehicles and poor driving to already contend with.

Its hardly any sort of annoyance to anyone else so crack on i say :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't really comment on legality, but I can say its not uncommon for the odd German car to have this as standard, but not usually something that is enabled in the UK..  Theres a couple of guys I know locally that have this on a Golf and a 320d, both enabled at dealer level and NOT aftermarket (They paid a complete whack for it!) And have had main dealer MOTs since.. it's very popular in the US, but I'm not sure if that's due to it being a legal thing in some states? I could be wrong but either way the guys I see now and then havent had any trouble as of yet with it.

• Thanks 1

Nothing in the mot manual to state they are failable test item. Drls factory fitted are only testable items on vehicles from march 2018.

As long as you still have white position lights that operate independently to the amber drl/indicator it should be fine as mot is concerned but point it out to mot tester first what they are.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone, I got a response from folk on the site. They can’t say if they’d be legal in my Country.

Think between you good folk here and reply from them, I’m gonna forget about going down that road. Wasn’t completely convinced they’d be legal. Hence my questioning.

Cheers again 👍👍👍

I'd have gone with them, but have been 'modifying' cars for 4 decades and have a healthy sceptical outlook on modification legality...🤣

• Like 2