Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Focus 1.5 Ecoblue

Benchmarmer

I have a Mk4 Focus 1.5 ecoblue which has been a complete nightmare. To be clear - I'm a relatively high miler so probably experiencing issues ahead of many others. Issues started with an amber engine management light which, when I contacted Ford Assist I was told would go out again if I kept driving it. This turned out to be correct and was apparently the engine re-calibrating emissions.

The problems really started in January 19 when the car started to run very poorly and suffered intermittent loss of power. To cut a long story short, the car first had a reset of the fault, then a replacement sensor, then a software update, then a clean out of a course pre-filter, then a replacement of said filter and finally a DPF replacement (after Ford technician was sent to dealer to diagnose - data says that the DPF may have an internal crack). 

I've attempted to reject the car back to Ford but they won't entertain it - the car is too old (16 months) and has too high mileage (33k). I argued that the fault has been under repair for the best part of a year and after 9 attempts to fix it I feel justified in throwing in the towel. The battle is now with the dealer to buy the vehicle back.

I've long been a Ford fan and this is actually my 7th Focus with a gap of 18 months with a Kuga and I've never had any trouble at all. My experience with the latest will bring to an end my run of Ford loyalty. 

Be interested to hear if anyone else has been suffering too?

What type of journeys are you doing?

It is too old for a full refund but you might be able to pursue a pro-rated refund/buy back. The issue is that the fault started after 6 months from new so the burden is on you to prove it was at fault at the point of sale if they don’t play ball and you want to enforce your consumer rights. 

• 7 months later...

We have 2 2019 focus estates as our work pool cars, both exactly the same 1.5 ecoblue titanium manuals. One is perfect no faults, the other has just come back from the dealer for the 7th time in 3 months for pretty much the same faults as already mentioned. 

first was amber engine warning light, followed by a loss of power, to dealer, reset fault, didnt work, replaced a gasket second time....didnt work, new sensors for 3rd/ 4th and 5th times, then clean filter and just back and they have done nothing but clean the filter again! 

I think Lexautolease will be getting this one back at this rate!. they are both used for journeys from Southampton to Oxford, so its not like they arent getting warmed up or used as intended.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club