Sign in to follow this  
mokes

Stupid stretchy belt, how to fit it?

I'm changing both the drive belts on my Focus and although they came off OK, but with some effort, getting the main one on ({for the PAS and alternator) is not working. I bought the Laser stupid special tool, which is rubbish and I dont think it works on the crankshaft double pulley set up. The problem is getting the belt to stay on the smooth pulley,  it slips off right as you think its worked.

There seem to be other tools available, such as the Gates special tool (which works wonders when the engine isn't actually in the car) but thats not an option at the moment, I need to get the car back together today.

The alternator has no adjustment either.

Have you loosened the idler pulley?

1 hour ago, mokes said:

I'm changing both the drive belts on my Focus and although they came off OK, but with some effort, getting the main one on ({for the PAS and alternator) is not working. I bought the Laser stupid special tool, which is rubbish and I dont think it works on the crankshaft double pulley set up. The problem is getting the belt to stay on the smooth pulley,  it slips off right as you think its worked.

There seem to be other tools available, such as the Gates special tool (which works wonders when the engine isn't actually in the car) but thats not an option at the moment, I need to get the car back together today.

The alternator has no adjustment either.

There were 3 tools with my belt kit, they all had to be used in conjunction with each other - when you say the smooth pulley are you on about the water pump?

Hi all. No idler pulley on these cars.

The smooth puley, I would say is the water pump but I thought that was driven by the cambelt?

No tools with mine, I tried to buy a Ford kit with them in it but was told they don't do them anymore and even the mechanic said they use  a flat blade screwdriver!

What I did in the end was remove the bolt from the top of the alternator and the nut from the top also (there are two fixings on the top.). Then slacken off the bolt under the alternator ( which was already very loose). This then gave the SLIGHTEST movement which with brute force, swearing whilst turning the crank with a long ratchet eventually it went on. All the time putting pressure against the belt thats around the water pump pulley to stop it slipping off. A two man job really, unless you have long arms which apparently I do.

It was not sitting on the alternator pulley correctly due to the alternator being slightly loose, but I kept turning the crank and it moved into the grooves. There is one fixing on the top of the alternator that is a threaded rod, which I left in place as it stops the alternator from moving too much. It then allowed me to simply replace the nut onto it, then the long bolt and then tighten the lower bolt.

Top tip for anyone doing this job....don't.

Pretty sure there was an idler on mine, when I had the car in for the coolant issue recall, as it was done badly leading to noise, and had to go back in, last time I let Ford touch my car. They said the idler needed replacing initially, then said it was their fault as they had aligned it all badly.

Usually there is an idler pulley, to take up the belt tension, but these stretchy belts are a stupid idea designed to give work to dealers I suspect.

Not sure how they told you they didnt 'align' it properly. It's either put on properly or not. No need to 'align' anything as far as I know?

What year is your car, as they didnt always use stretchy belts? 

Last time I did a belt was on my Qashqai, a breeze. Even easier was my old 5 series. 5 minute job. Mostly due to them having sprung tensioner (idler) pulleys.

I've got a tiny crowbar, bought from a poundshop about 8 years ago which is ideal for getting the stretch belts on!  Bit late now though lol...

I put together a guide a while back it didn't seem to get added though.

Small crowbar/flat blade screwdriver will do the job to some degree. The extra problem is wth a/c models, there are two pulleys mounted piggyback at the crank. This introduces an angle to the belt on install which makes it slip off the water pump pulley.

The trick is stopping the belt slipping off the water pump pulley at the very end just as the belt appears to be going on. That's when you need to be able to hold/push the belt onto this pulley whilst turning the crank.

Focus, a good guide but relies on having the special kit to do it

9 hours ago, mokes said:

Small crowbar/flat blade screwdriver will do the job to some degree. The extra problem is wth a/c models, there are two pulleys mounted piggyback at the crank. This introduces an angle to the belt on install which makes it slip off the water pump pulley.

The trick is stopping the belt slipping off the water pump pulley at the very end just as the belt appears to be going on. That's when you need to be able to hold/push the belt onto this pulley whilst turning the crank.

Focus, a good guide but relies on having the special kit to do it

When I bought mines off eBay it came with the kit. It's just a couple of bits of stupid metal but they work well.

I did see a couple of Ford 'ex stock' ones on Ebay but the belts were wrong size. They had some bits in with them so in hindsight I could have bought them and then the belts elsewhere. 🙄