Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Ban on new petrol/diesel sales from 2035 (or earlier!)

Eric Bloodaxe

3 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I'd certainly have no objection if all my concerns are addressed (price, range, charging time, weight, sustainability and recyclability of battery materials, welfare of workers mining raw materials, etc). Quite like the look of this projected 'R' version of the VW id3.

vw_id3_r_02.jpg

I want one...  In that colour too! :biggrin: 

We should be willing to pay similar prices to fillup our battery as we would to fill up our petrol tanks.

Why? I don't know how much it costs to charge a battery but I'm sure it's a lot less than a full tank of fuel. The profit of charging the same wouldn't go back into the infrastructure of electrically powered vehicles, it wouldn't pay for more charging stations it would most likely line the pockets of the government. I'm certainly not willing to pay more than it costs plus the 'usual' mark up.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yeah I probably worded that wrong.

I meant more that I wouldn't expect the charging to be free but people seem to think it should be.

• Like 1

Yeah I probably worded that wrong.
I meant more that I wouldn't expect the charging to be free but people seem to think it should be.
Ah right, I get you.
Electricity isn't free though so why should people expect not to pay, that will be the Prius drivers who are single handedly saving the universe lol

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Tesco are offering free EV charging...

https://www.electrive.com/2019/12/04/ev-drivers-in-the-uk-can-top-up-at-tesco-for-free/

22 miles worth apparently!  Good for me as I only live 2 miles from one! :wink:

That's ok when you're the only one wanting it, but what happens when everybody who shops at Tesco needs to charge their car for around 30 minutes? It won't always be free. The govt. will somehow need to raise just as much tax as they do now. Who's going to pay to rip up all the car parks and install the cabling? Will the local grid be capable of taking it? Electricity is not free to generate, and either comes with its own emission problems, or is not available unless the wind is blowing. Who's going to mine the raw materials for the batteries, and destroy much of the sea bed in the process? Where do all the batteries go which will be ****ed after a couple of years? Still a lot of thinking to do rather than just talking or we're all up s**t creek! Batteries just don't feel the right way to be going. I'd rather they were putting the effort into something like hydrogen cells which just has a much better sensible feel to it. Sorry, rant over!

• Like 1

I only go shopping when there's no one else about...can't stand people myself! :laugh:

On a serious note though, the sad reality is that there won't be a sustainable long term solution, we'll just continue with short term local improvements that cause issues elsewhere...  

• 2 weeks later...

I see that National Express is now aiming to have a zero emission fleet by 2035 and have said they will not buy another diesel bus. The Chief Exec stated that half it's buses operated on routes for which the currently limited ranges of electric buses were sufficient. The rest however would need buses with longer ranges that manufacturers did not yet produce. So they seem to be taking a bit of a gamble there! 

Interested to see the initial price comparison of diesel versus electric buses as currently available - £275,000 (diesel) vs £425,000 (electric). Hopefully some of that will be offset by lower running costs. 

Interested to see the initial price comparison of diesel versus electric buses as currently available - £275,000 (diesel) vs £425,000 (electric). Hopefully some of that will be offset by lower running costs.

And higher bus fares. 

1 minute ago, robuk2 said:

And higher bus fares. 

Oh yes, as with all this stuff no doubt we punters will pay one way or another!😞

It takes all the love out of cars i think like a nice exhaust system and stuff and if you do have one say you got a new car just before it was band to sell them they will hike the price up in a massive way the fuel and tax etc to force you into an all electric.

They want to get the energy/emission saving from these Grids first as the electric that will being used will me MASSIVE like they moan now about cutting back on normal house appliances so think of all the charging car points and in the house and another thing if you live in a flat or high rise you will have to pay at a charge point all the while.

I be close to retiring at that point so i will most properly just go and get me a top-of-the range old person scouter lol, Titanium model with auto cover for the rain.

This world had gone mad and only getting madder and worse in a lot of ways,thank god i had my growing up days of loud bikes/cars/leaded petrol etc.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 9:34 PM, iantt said:

My public transport currently takes 4 hours to get me to work if I didn't drive 20 mins in my car . Then another 4hrs back. This is for 14 miles each way. 

Daughter is going to college by bus she leaves the house at 5am and arrived at around 9:00/9:30 to get there.....If her fella takes her in his car takes just over half an hour.

When using the bus she has 4 bus change-overs......Public transport sucks

Has anyone gave this a thought.....ALL fossil powered vehicles are now banned....There's a very bad accident on the motorway and all lanes become gridlocked by waiting vehicles and it's winter so everyone has the heating on in their electric cars, from what i've been told the heating can only be on for no more than 20 minutes or the batteries start to get drained, imagine everyone having the heating on for a few hours and these type of cars are then dead!! We ain't talking about one or two cars but hundreds & hundreds of electric vehicles all DEAD, how on earth can they all be shifted to get the motorway running again.

Also the government has got to start installing powerpoints outside every single property, these will have a universal extendable charging cable, each powerpoint will work like a parking meter, type in your reg' number & bank details, plug in and charge, when the cable is placed back in the powerpoint, your bank account is billed straight away for the energy used.....Just this idea with the powerpoints is going to cost millions to do and at a good guess, the car owner is going to foot the bill for the rented powerpoint itself.

Surely we can't have cables hanging out of windows and fed to the owners cars ? cables everywhere will be one serious hazard ? Infact I've have read & seen pics where a vigilante has been going around disconnecting the cables so he or she can carry on walking on the kerb.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

When using the bus she has 4 bus change-overs......Public transport sucks

As I mentioned earlier in the post, it's very patchy. For our most common local journey (about 4 miles as the crow flies) we need to get 2 buses taking an hour or so (if you time it right). I can, and do, walk it in the same time but that's not on in bad weather or carrying stuff. Yet I can hop on a bus literally outside my door which will get me 60 miles plus much easier than driving. These things need to be addressed.

6 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Surely we can't have cables hanging out of windows and fed to the owners cars ? cables everywhere will be one serious hazard ? Infact I've have read & seen pics where a vigilante has been going around disconnecting the cables so he or she can carry on walking on the kerb.

They are now pushing the idea of burying charging pads all over the place as an answer to that.

As we've said many times on here, if governments are really serious about this zero carbon idea then a lot of hard decisions need to be faced about the issues you mention, how it is to be paid for, patterns of work and travel, etc, etc. Just imposing bans is simply not good enough.

• Like 1

It's a whole society change we need, public transport can't suit everyone as it is currently.

70 years ago people didn't drive everywhere, yet they still managed to get to work and shops etc...  Trouble we have now is everything has been built so far apart, the services we use are all in very different places and variable shifts/zero hours etc means people can't all travel at the same time.

As for heating draining the batteries, I'm sure they've put a failsafe in place for that, like the 1 hour stereo thing in cars now.  Heating should be shut off before it drains the range below a reasonable level.  Keep a blanket in the boot if you carry kids/elderlies! :wink: 

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

They are now pushing the idea of burying charging pads all over the place as an answer to that.

Something like a Severn Trent Water inspection water charge cover ? Where the cover is popped open to view how much was has been used ? But with a charge port inside it instead, can just imagine how dangerous such covers/pads after months of water getting in and then there's the safety issue of tripping over any left up ports.

Wonder how they are dealing with all this in the USA ?

26 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Something like a Severn Trent Water inspection water charge cover ?

Completely out of sight as I understand it, supposed to operate in similar way to charging pads for smartphones etc. Sort of thing mentioned in this article:

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-7839903/Wireless-electric-car-chargers-installed-UK-spring-2020.html

• Like 1

I worked in London mon to fri for many years in the late 90s and early 2000s.

The pollution was foul.  You got used to your bogeys being jet black.

I'd be glad to see the back of that.

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

The pollution was foul.  You got used to your bogeys being jet black.

Worked down a coal mine from 1984 until 1993 seeing black gob was the norm but I was still coughing up black gob 4 years after I'd left the pit!! Can't imagine what my lungs was like!!

• 1 month later...

The press seems to have gone a bit quiet on this one lately, due to the virus grabbing all the attention I suppose. Anyway, I did see an interesting item today, where research by the RAC has shown that the average electric car does 9,435 miles a year, compared to 7,490 for petrol engined cars and 12,496 for diesel. So perhaps they are viable for normal use and range anxiety is fading? Rather surprised me, I must admit.

Thinking post lockdown, but with the prospect of some form of social distancing likely to be in force long term, public transport may be a less attractive option for carbon reduction than it seemed a short while ago. I wonder if this will speed up moves to get us into electric or alternative fuel cars even more quickly, possibly with financial incentives?

• 6 months later...

This topic seems to have surfaced again this week, with various stories in the press that the PM is set to announce the ban being brought forward to 2030.

I do hope (probably wishful thinking) that all alternatives will receive consideration, but politicians do seem to have tunnel vision in the direction of electric at the moment, despite the issues of cost, range, charging infrastructure, increased vehicle weight, etc, etc.

I keep thinking back a few years to the different types of VCR and comparing it in my mind to the government backing Betamax over VHS when both were quickly superseded by DVD then Hard Disc drives and now streaming off the internet which no-one saw coming at the time.😃

Found this on synthetic fuels interesting, hope someone in government is paying attention:

https://www.bosch.com/stories/synthetic-fuels/

• 2 weeks later...

How long do these batteries last or is it buy a cheap car to get a cheap battery pack in them.

You see self charging one's out there now which would be good where you just need to give it a good charge once in so many days/weeks.

Never ending questions on all of this......... Looks like an horse and cart just a bucket at the rear for the garden plants.

The world has over a century of experience with petrol/diesel (some of us on here have 50 or 60 lol) but this is is largely unknown territory.

Most battery warranties are 8 years or so, I have seen reports of users getting 10+. It seems, like a petrol car, it can be affected by type of use, whether you can achieve the optimum charging pattern, etc.

Afaik there are not really any "cheap" batteries from a quality aspect, where a choice is available in a particular model you pay more for increased power, longer range, faster charging time, etc.

As you say, a lot of questions and things to learn on this!😀

Edit: NB most of the discussion on this topic now seems to be happening on this other thread:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/121302-petition-against-government-banning-sale-of-petrol-diesel-cars-in-2030/

Edited by Eric Bloodaxe
Extra sentence

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club