Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Servicing clutch on 1.2 X reg Zetec

Thetufty1

The clutch on my X reg (2000) Zetec Fiesta has started to slip

When enquiring about a replacement it was mentioned the clutch is hydraulically operated

So, I wonder whether the clutch had insufficient lubricant to operate it properly

Hence my question - can the clutch be serviced by topping it up with the appropriate oil and if it can what oil would be needed, and where is the oil reservoir located

Would greatly appreciate your comments even if it is the bad news that a complete clutch replacement is necessary

Regards Steve

hydraulically operated means when you push the pedal it pushes fluid (same as brake fluid) down a pipe to release the clutch pressure. If there was a problem with this hydraulic pressure it would be the opposite of clutch slip, it would mean you could not declutch fully or not at all. 

check that the clutch pedal does come right up and has some free play when up, so you can be sure that the clutch slip is not caused by the pressure not being released fully due to something stopping the clutch pedal coming right up (very unlikely to be your problem).

it sounds pretty certain it needs new clutch which means removing gearbox which means removing drive shafts. A lot of work. Either the clutch linings have worn out or the spring in the pressure plate has got too weak, or both. When replacing a clutch it is normal to replace all the parts  - the plate with the linings on, the pressure plate with the spring in, the release bearing. 

1 hour ago, isetta said:

it sounds pretty certain it needs new clutch

Yep, it does sound like that.

Not sure if it's luck or the conditions I drive in, but I've never had to replace a clutch in 40 years of driving. Did 120,000 miles in my Toyota MR2 on the same clutch and about 100,000 on my MKI Golf GTi. The Golf I sold to someone local who had it for another 60,000 before he changed the clutch.

There's a guy I see in the local pub occasionally and he seems to be forever getting new clutches, then again I often see him at junctions holding it on the clutch and he seems keen to get away form the lights really quickly only to stop at the next junctions 300 metres up the road from the lights. Never did understand why people don't take it out of gear and put the handbrake on, must have money to burn along with their clutches and brakes.

I think if some people understood the mechanics of a car better they would be less likely to hold a car on the clutch on a hill. and never rest their foot on the clutch pedal when driving along. They need to see it dismantled and understand how the bits move etc. and how punishing to the clutch holding it on a hill is.

I am not suggest that   thetufty1   ruined the clutch, it might have been 95% worn out by a previous owner, when buying a car it is not possible to tell what % worn the clutch is.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club