Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When wet opening hatchback dumps water into boot (MK2.5).

Nick Charles

Maybe this has been answered somewhere else but on a Mk2.5 is there anyway to stop the water that collects around the rear window from being dumped of the side from the window when the boot is opened? 

Water collects in the gap between the hatchback and the bottom of the window, gravity does the rest when I open the hatchback.

Most of the water doesn't get into the boot but even if their is no wind some of it ends up in the boot and if its windy then a hole load can get dumped in the boot.

• Like 1

I open mine slowly but it still gets wet☹️

i brought this up many years ago and still getting the same thing 

apparently ford fitted some  trim later on that stopped this happening 

We'll sorry lads but I'm glad its not just me. I did have an idea of filling the area at the bottom of the window with black silicon but I'll take a look instead to see if I can find some black trim that will do the same thing. There's a black rubber used for greenhouse glazing that might just do the job. Its just a space that needs filling so the water can't fill it. 

Ford did sell a pair of add-on trims for the sides of the glass but didn't really help a lot.

I used some door edge trim on my old MK2 and it seemed to help a fair bit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-Rubber-Trim-Seal-Strips-Car-Door-Window-Edge-Protector-Weatherstrip-Black-UK/312721238193?hash=item48cfa368b1:g:bwMAAOSwn~JeFsvN

Its the sides the water runs down but it seems to be that it collects in the gap at the bottom of the window so filling that gap up might solve the problem.

I did wonder if the problem was unique to my old 2010 focus (new to me) and if the rear window had been replaced as I spotted a bit of over spray possibly from a respray on the black trim. However on further inspection I can't find any evidence of a respray.

I raised this issue some time ago here, never got round to do anything about it. But reassuring to know I am not alone!

Nick, if you do get this weather sealing, would you mind posting a photo, and also, how you trim off both edges so that water doesn't make it's way inside it?

The plan wasn't to use the weather strip as any form of seal. Hopefully i don't have any problem with the actual seals. The plan is to fill the gap that collects water when its raining by pushing something like foam strip into the gap at the bottom of the window. If the water can't collect there it can't end up in the boot when you open the hatchback and gravity shifts it. The water that collects in the area in your picture doesn't get in under the seal in that area, not on my car anyway.

41 minutes ago, Nick Charles said:

The plan wasn't to use the weather strip as any form of seal. Hopefully i don't have any problem with the actual seals. The plan is to fill the gap that collects water when its raining by pushing something like foam strip into the gap at the bottom of the window. If the water can't collect there it can't end up in the boot when you open the hatchback and gravity shifts it. The water that collects in the area in your picture doesn't get in under the seal in that area, not on my car anyway.

I know, that's exactly my issue too... However, I just get the feeling that push a foam strip in the gap won't even survive a simple car pressure wash as it'll end up flying away LOL

I've never pressure washed a car LOL - well not in the last 20 years.

If I do buy that type of foam chances are I'll end up with enough to do the car a dozen times so replacing it occasionally won't cost anymore.