Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head Gasket Blown

AndrewErroch

I might just get my car out of Arnold Clark, pay them what I owe them, and take it to Paisley Autocare, who did the Full service recently, just around the corner from me and see what they say... although they weren't too complimentary about Ford engines already. Thanks folks! Æ

18 minutes ago, AndrewErroch said:

The car can definitely still drive. I drove it 12 miles from Beith to Linwood with the AA man following me... and that error didn't come up, although I was taking it easy. If I put my foot down or go up a hill, it does come up. Æ 

I think we have a couple of different things going on here.  The contaminated coolant (and potential headgasket failure) won't cause the dash warning as there's no way for the ECU to detect it. 

The low fuel pressure fault will cause the dash warning though, and will also be most likely to occur under acceleration or higher load which sounds like the problem that you actually called the AA for initially.  Did the service garage definitely replace the fuel filter?  And if so, was it genuine Ford or a cheap 'Crossland' brand for example?  It should be itemised on your invoice hopefully.

11 minutes ago, AndrewErroch said:

I've found my latest HP statement. It was £12230 over 60 months and I still owe about £3000, which is well below the WBAC valuation of £5380 anyway. Æ 

I don't know much about finance I'm afraid, only ever bought cars outright, others are better suited to advise with that.  I assume you would take the ~£5000 from WBAC and pay off the current loan, leaving you with £2000 for another car?  That's really not much...

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I think we have a couple of different things going on here.  The contaminated coolant (and potential headgasket failure) won't cause the dash warning as there's no way for the ECU to detect it. 

The low fuel pressure fault will cause the dash warning though, and will also be most likely to occur under acceleration or higher load which sounds like the problem that you actually called the AA for initially.  Did the service garage definitely replace the fuel filter?  And if so, was it genuine Ford or a cheap 'Crossland' brand for example?  It should be itemised on your invoice hopefully.

I don't know much about finance I'm afraid, only ever bought cars outright, others are better suited to advise with that.  I assume you would take the ~£5000 from WBAC and pay off the current loan, leaving you with £2000 for another car?  That's really not much...

But it's OK as a deposit on another finance agreement... Æ 

• Like 2

Just now, AndrewErroch said:

But its OK as a deposit on another finance agreement... Æ 

Ah, fair point!  

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I just had a look at the Full service checklist from Paisley Autocare and it states, alongside Fuel Filter, 'Renew (Diesel Only)' and they appear to have put 'N/A' in the tick box... Strange... I'll need to check that with them. Æ

1 hour ago, AndrewErroch said:

I've found my latest HP statement. It was £12230 over 60 months and I still owe about £3000, which is well below the WBAC valuation of £5380 anyway. Æ 

As it’s HP, if you asked for an early settlement it would be less than £3k

3 hours ago, AndrewErroch said:

Member has breakdown repair cover for this vehicle.

Quote is from the 7th post on page 1. Does this not mean that the AA are paying for the repairs?

• Like 1

1stly, a 'sniff test' generally identifies a blown head gasket, tho' easier to detect on a petrol than a diesel. You can buy a sniff test  kit £20 ish, just look on eBay. A big garage would surely be able to do a pressure test..without removing the engine and sending it somewhere else . anyway, they just want to take you to the cleaners as they're used to billing business drivers. My advise, as car is driveable is find a garage which can do a pressure test or buy yourself a sniff test kit. Perhaps have the coolant changed 1st (proper Ford stuff you mix 50/50 with water... I use deionised myself.

And as has already been mentioned before, head gasket  blown on a diesel is unheard of, unless you've got a cracked cylinder head 'cos the antifreeze was too weak and it froze in the engine. However, Ford antifreeze has a 10 year life 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Finance Guy said:

As it’s HP, if you asked for an early settlement it would be less than £3k

I think I may well look into that... Æ

1 minute ago, AndrewErroch said:

I think I may well look into that... Æ

I’ve just got a settlement in for my pickup last week. If I let the payments run it would have been Just over £12k but settling early I only need to pay £10,900. 

If you do end up buying another, give me a shout and I’ll sort the funding for you. If you go to Arnold Shark or elsewhere they will only offer you PCP, where settling early cost more instead. I see you’re in Scotland as well (as am I) so would be happy to help. 

Although sounds like you may have some options for a cheaper fix, so I would hate to think that I’ve planted a seed to give you an excuse to get a new car when it’s not needed! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Finance Guy said:

I’ve just got a settlement in for my pickup last week. If I let the payments run it would have been Just over £12k but settling early I only need to pay £10,900. 

If you do end up buying another, give me a shout and I’ll sort the funding for you. If you go to Arnold Shark or elsewhere they will only offer you PCP, where settling early cost more instead. I see you’re in Scotland as well (as am I) so would be happy to help. 

Although sounds like you may have some options for a cheaper fix, so I would hate to think that I’ve planted a seed to give you an excuse to get a new car when it’s not needed! 

That's OK. I'll see what Paisley Autocare say, before I go down that road, especially as they did the Full service, MOT and Engine Flush recently. I only hope it's not the same story... Æ

25 minutes ago, AndrewErroch said:

That's OK. I'll see what Paisley Autocare say, before I go down that road, especially as they did the Full Service, MOT and Engine Flush recently. I only hope it's not the same story... Æ

Make sure you come back and update us...some of us are hanging on this story by a thread (get it?) 😄 Terrible joke.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Albert27 said:

That's OK. I'll see what Paisley Autocare say, before I go down that road, especially as they did the Full Service, MOT and Engine Flush recently. I only hope it's not the same story... Æ

I’m no mechanic. My posts are testament to that. But I assume Paisley Autocare flushed the engine because of the contaminated coolant. Also a full service, if it is a gasket or head , contamination works both ways, the oil cap and dipstick would be creamy. Surely they would’ve told you that if it was the case. I think they’ve ruled out blown head gasket or cracked head. My moneys on defective oil cooler. Few hundred quid..sorted. Get it tested (not by Arnold Clark) especially if money’s tight. 

Fuel pressure is something I know absolutely nothing about. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 12:42 PM, AndrewErroch said:

If it makes it any clearer, this is the main part of the AA report: -

Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control 1 - 9FA / Diesel CR/EDC SID 807P051200 - Starter actuation. Error Message : Malfunction.P228C00 - Fuel pressure regulation. Error Message : Pressure too low.P086B00 - Neutral position sensor. Error Message : Outside specified range.loss of power and eml light on. Basic checks ok. Coolant showing signs of contamination. Checked codes found code relating to fuel pressure issue. Carried out road test. Fault occur on two occasions with live readings dropping out of spec. Followed to dealer for investigation. Member has breakdown repair cover for this vehicle. Member must arrange for the vehicle to be taken to a garage without delay if it cannot be fixed at the roadside, any delay or continued use will affect the validity of a potential claim. Any repairs need to be authorised prior to repair, to make a claim contact AA claims department 0344 579 0042.

“Member has breakdown repair cover for this vehicle “ ! 

What kind of AA cover do you have? 

• Like 1

Get it out of Arnold Clarke, flush the coolant system (so it's clean) and chop the car in for a new one

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Get it out of Arnold Clarke, flush the coolant system (so it's clean) and chop the car in for a new one

That’s exactly what Arnold Clark would do! 
Really should have a proper mechanic pressure test etc. Might be an easy fix. Anyway the AA report suggests there is some kind of repair cover by AA. 🤔

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Bit of a thread necro, but what was the outcome in the end?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I've a 2008 1.8 diesel Focus.

Heater never worked (was going to flush core)

Drove ok, but then suddenly overheated a couple of times.

Then one morning wouldn't start. Turns over, doesn't fire. Sounds/feels like no compression in cylinders (ie 'dead' turnover).

Head gasket or something else (cheaper!)?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 9:50 AM, JBC said:

I've a 2008 1.8 diesel Focus.

Heater never worked (was going to flush core)

Drove ok, but then suddenly overheated a couple of times.

Then one morning wouldn't start. Turns over, doesn't fire. Sounds/feels like no compression in cylinders (ie 'dead' turnover).

Head gasket or something else (cheaper!)?  

Seeing as it's a really old thread about a different engine to yours, you're much more like to get a response if you post on your own thread.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club