Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stew

Stew59

Car new to you and always like this? Or, was it working perfectly one minute, then not the next? Can you hear anything from main Speakers at all, even a mild hiss, or totally dead? On all inputs, CD & Radio, or just one?

• Like 1

It was working okay one day , then next day only coming through the tweeter's, same on cd playing and the radio .I've put in another radio that was working fine but still the same 

21 hours ago, Stew59 said:

It was working okay one day , then next day only coming through the tweeter's, same on cd playing and the radio .I've put in another radio that was working fine but still the same 

Then it's clearly not the head unit so it's either the wiring loom or all the Speakers are spannered.  On a 2005 it IS possible that all 4 Speakers are dead, they're only paper cones.  Over time I've replaced all 4 main Speakers on mt 2005 MK2, the rears died 1st and then the drivers door speaker started to play up so the fronts also got swapped, no problems since.  Just replacing them with some £20 JVCs has made a massive difference.

Before buying speakers (in case it's the loom) you could do with removing one of the door cards and putting a multimeter (in 12/20 volt mode) onto the connector block in the door to make sure the signal is actually getting to the door.  I can't remember the exact voltage when I checked mine but if the multimeter is set to 12/20 volt mode, you should have no problems seeing it pick up a 5 (ish) volt signal.  (it'll be somewhere between 5 and 12 volts, I just can't remember off the top of my head)

• Like 1

Hey Damian, I think even you would consider the OP to be damned unlucky to have both Speakers fail on him at exactly the same moment LOL But your suggestions on the wiring are 100%. I'm lucky that I've only ever had a speaker fail on me once in a Mitsubishi FTO. Easy diagnosis as when I removed the door card, a couple of litres of water ran out where it was marinating the speaker!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

if the multimeter is set to 12/20 volt mode, you should have no problems seeing it pick up a 5 (ish) volt signal

That'll need to be set to AC range rather than DC won't it?

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 12:02 PM, mjt said:

That'll need to be set to AC range rather than DC won't it?

Yup 👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club