Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Volume buttons on steering wheel not working Fiesta 2012

CraigJ123

Hi. My dad gave me the car a couple of weeks ago and I keep forgetting to query it but for some reason the volume down button doesn't do anything and the volume up button only changes the radio station and nothing when playing music. Any ideas?

Hi I would suggest gently lifting the button up and giving the contacts a light spray with contact cleaner through the gap. 

mine has similar problems but intermittent in what does what. sometimes it all works correctly (rarely) sometimes left and right buttons work but not up and down, sometimes volume will go up but not down etc.  it changes every few days. has done since the car was about a year old. perhaps you will find yours changes every now and then. personally I don't mind using the controls on the front of the radio except there is no voice control button on the radio itself and the voice control button on the steering wheel is the most unreliable of the buttons on mine.

I'm using a USB memory stick with songs I downloaded to. Some songs are quite different in volume levels and having a previous Focus, it had the volume next to the wheel or a big dial so it's a big change and a lot more fiddly. It seems more like a settings thing but could be wrong.

Had the same on my 2011 Fiesta, had to get replacement buttons from eBay, seems to be a common issue

Chris

I had the same problem on mine and I read on here that someone had success bu banging the steering wheel in the switch area, i tried this and the buttons work normally for quite a while afterwards. They still play up every now and then but another thump seems to correct them.  

I gave it a bang and also blew around the sides. It now works. Thanks. I did have a little go at trying to take the panel off. Glad I didn't after watching an auto repair video stating you have to disconnect the battery first which makes sense.

• 2 years later...

Hi   No need to disconnect the battery . You simply unscrew three screws on the underside of the steering wheel where the silver bezel is and you can then prise up the bezel off the steering wheel , disconnect the audio button carefully then you can remove it along with the bezel. Theres 3 screws then again to remove the button . Prise around the back of the button unit carefully and prise back the three tabs and you can then open the button completely . Theres a plastic grommet between the buttons and the board . Lift this and then use electrical cleaner carefully and use a cotton swab to clean around the copper junctions and then clean the rubber grommet and then reassembly in reverse order , plug back in first and test the button before putting it all back together and that should cure it , If not then there's something wrong with the board or the grommet has moved and the buttons are not alighned . When you poress volume down you might had a change of channel , this is where the buttons aren't properly aligned ,  a new one is about £80 

Hello unknown, you're 2 years too late to the party.

unknown.JPG

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club