Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diesel or Petrol exhaust backbox

James Hawes

Hi!,

I have recently added an ST diffuser/apron to my 2016 TDCI Fiesta.

I am now trying to address the exhaust end. The standard exhaust back box has to outlet bent over to point down and to the side. I cant fit a decorative end to this!

I want to change the backbox only (not the Cat) could I use a standard petrol backbox on a diesel engine? If I can there are loads of types I could fit, may or may not require an adapter/taper coupling, but that's ok. 

I'm struggling to find a backbox only that has a straight outlet for the exhaust tip. 

Maybe if a petrol backbox is fine- I could just use a standard petrol ST one??

20200216_135155.jpg

Cut the existing tip at the point it bends away and then fit a 'decorative' tip on then. Much cheaper

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Cut the existing tip at the point it bends away and then fit a 'decorative' tip on then. Much cheaper

Hi,

Thanks for this- I've thought of that but to be fair the current back box wont last another year so thought I'd do it properly. The decorative end I've got is a side-by-side double- if you look on my pic- the area where the current outlet attaches is of to the left side.

• Like 1

Why not buy a standard st back box from a motor factors. It'll fill that hole lovely

Diesel exhaust tips are pointed down for a reason, it reduces soot and fume dispersal into the atmosphere.

Cut off the downsweep and just glue your double exit into the bumper, no-one will even know. :wink: 

Also, how rubbish are the standard exhausts now if your backbox won't last into it's 5th year? :unsure:

On a serious note though, have you tried a custom exhaust shop?  They'll be able to fit & adjust a backbox and tip perfectly in the bumper cut out...can also add a little more noise if that's of interest.  Worth getting a quote I reckon.

You can buy cosmetic tips that have the cut out underneath for diesels and a false end for cosmetics.

Brilliant! I'm just struggling to find anything like that

20 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Diesel exhaust tips are pointed down for a reason, it reduces soot and fume dispersal into the atmosphere.

I don't think this is the case any more?  VAG stopped fitting downturned tips when they started fitting DPFs.  It's a very easy way to tell if a VAG car is DPF equipped or not.  

I'm sure Ford still fit straight tips on sporty diesels/Vignales as well, it's only the lower spec models that have a downturned tip because of the basic bumper.

Maybe you are correct- I found this on Ebay- wonder if it would be suitable for use on a 2016 model...

Screenshot_20200217-121142_eBay.jpg

Problem with decorative tips is that the outlet on the backbox doesnt just bend down- it also bends to the side....see below

20200216_124612.jpg

2 minutes ago, James Hawes said:

Maybe you are correct- I found this on Ebay- wonder if it would be suitable for use on a 2016 model...

Screenshot_20200217-121142_eBay.jpg

That's for the Mk8 Fiesta, I doubt the hangars and bumper cut-out would be in the same places on a Mk7 but don't know for sure.

They appear to be in the same place but who knows! I'm starting to think I should just get a backbox of a petrol ST MK7.5

They appear to be in the same place but who knows! I'm starting to think I should just get a backbox of a petrol ST MK7.5

Can anyone recommend a reasonable priced exhaust manufacturer then?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club