Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Easy fill fuel cap

Jimmymc60

hi all just tried putting diesel in my mondeo and it was clicking off after just a few pence so tried another pump and I got a bit more in but still clicking off then realized it was pouring out on the forecourt does anyone know if this is a easy fix or a wallet draining garage trip 

Hi, assuming your tank is actually full, i found this whilst searching for the same symptoms as you describe, when i first bought my Mondeo. I've not had the issue since understanding what is actually happening on a refuel.

The New Ford (12/2007-) spring-loaded tank flaps close off the upper end of the fuel tank filler pipe in place of the filler cap. The first spring-loaded tank flap features a locking mechanism which checks the filling station nozzle for the right size. This locking mechanism consists primarily of a slider and two releasing notches. The slider has the diameter matching the right filling station nozzle. When the correct filling station nozzle is inserted, the notches move inwards, releasing the slider which in return releases the spring-loaded first flap. Further insertion of the filling station nozzle opens the second flap which seals the tank against the environment.

The following steps for re-fuelling the fuel tank should be explained to the customer:

1. Insert the filling station nozzle so far that the first notch of the filling station nozzle can be hooked into the capless system cover. The filling station nozzle should not be inserted any further either. Likewise in case of filling the car at the roadside with a jerry-can the funnel needs to be inserted until the ring of the funnel rests behind the cover.

2. If the customer experiences difficulties at some filling stations it helps to drop the filling station nozzle until it rests on the fuel filler pipe cover.
- Re-fuel the fuel tank (automatic cut-off or manual handling)
- Do not change position of the fuel pump nozzle during refilling. The fuel flow will be interrupted prematurely.
It is recommended to refuel the fuel tank until the first automatic shut off of the filling station nozzle.
A further refuelling until the next automatic shut off could lead to fuel dripping from the fuel tank overflow pipe to the ground.
After fuelling the filling station nozzle should remain for 10 sec. to allow a remaining quantity of fuel to flow into the fuel tank. Otherwise this quantity of fuel will be drained via the fuel tank overflow pipe to the ground.
  • Like 4

Thanks for the reply but panic over I tried it again with the supplied funnel and it went straight in so went to a different petrol station and hey presto no spillage. Must have been a dodgy pump 

• Like 2

Some places seem to have variations with their pumps and flow volumes.
When my local Sainsburys updated their pumps I had problems with flow cutting out numerous times.
I use Tesco now (only place I have that does 99 ron) and never get any dramas with overflowing or cutting out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Some places seem to have variations with their pumps and flow volumes.
When my local Sainsburys updated their pumps I had problems with flow cutting out numerous times.
I use Tesco now (only place I have that does 99 ron) and never get any dramas with overflowing or cutting out.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Back when I had my Mk2.5 Focus, I went to a Morrisons to fill up (never usually go there) as it was really cheap. The damn pump kept cutting out every 2 seconds.

I went inside the kiosk to tell one of the attendants, the old bat pretty much accused me of lying and making it up just to try and get free petrol. She said the pumps have gone through numerous tests and they're accurate (I never said they were inaccurate, I just said there was a problem with the pump constantly clicking off). I paid for the few quid of petrol I managed to get in, and drove off annoyed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had a problem with a Sainsburys Pump (went in there because I got low on fuel). The pump clicked on and off loads of times. So I paid for only £4.01 advising their pump was not working correctly which didn't seem to figure with any of the attendants; they just take the money and they have no idea of how anything really works... Here's why:

My experience of working in a Petrol Station Garage is the pump I used was rigged because I have very good control of a petrol pump having worked with them for many years. The pump I used was so obviously rigged because I double checked - it jumped from £1.99 to £2.01, £2.99 to £3.01 and then from £3.99 to £4.01 - It's called "Pump Clocking" where the loss of the 1p "clocked" in each £1 of fuel delivery is making the Filling station owner a lot of extra 1p's of cash per customer who fill up. Multiply by 20,000 customers a day and it begins to make big money! Too many Supermarkets are doing this - it's illegal, but it is going on. Beware.

If a pump does the above symptoms and keeps clicking off and on, don't use it next time. Not all Pumps will do this on a forecourt because when ad-hoc inspected, the Tester will be directed to an unrigged pump.

You can report it here also where it will get checked properly: https://www.resolver.co.uk/consumer-rights/petrol-stations-pump-inaccurate-complaints

• 1 year later...

Just purchased a Fiesta and although i love the car i am very disappointed by the design of the fuel cap which from an environmental prospective is commendable but i feel given the World we live in the system is flawed and gives the opportunity to the low life element an opportunity to cause damage to the vehicle if only in frustration that they are unable to steal fuel from the car.

51 minutes ago, APM1960 said:

Just purchased a Fiesta and although i love the car i am very disappointed by the design of the fuel cap which from an environmental prospective is commendable but i feel given the World we live in the system is flawed and gives the opportunity to the low life element an opportunity to cause damage to the vehicle if only in frustration that they are unable to steal fuel from the car.

Can't steal fuel as there's an anti syphon trap inside the filler pipe

42 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

system is flawed and gives the opportunity to the low life element an opportunity to cause damage to the vehicle if only in frustration that they are unable to steal fuel from the car.

I'm totally confused 🤪 are you saying that Ford should have designed the fuel filler system so that people could steal your fuel and therefore not be frustrated and damage your car ?

It's not solely designed to stop the low life stealing fuel. Its main purpose is to stop numpties putting in the wrong fuel to begin with. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club