Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear passengers side brake please help

Grant2020

Hello I have recently braught a 05 Ford Fiesta st and it's making a terrible grinding rubbing noise' the disc is very rusty and the pad is pitted, I got home tonight and went to reverse and it was like the hand brake was on but wat it was the back brake locked, I had to throw water over it to release it, will replacing the pads and discs solve the problem? As well as the noise whilst driving? If not any ideas on what this could be? 

New discs (or a surface skim if they still have plenty of meat on them & aren't too badly rough), new pads plus a good service of the calipers would be a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply stoney871. This must be a brake issue for sure as the abs light is on too. How much does it cost to have the calipers serviced?

Hi Grant,

The discs/pads may need replacing but they're not the cause of the problem.

You really need to remove the caliper to find the cause;

Maybe the caliper piston is seized?

Maybe the handbrake mechanism is seized?

Hello henryv, 

i know nothing about cars it's my dad that's going to do the discs and pads for me.

is. Calipers piston easy to do yourself?

im not sure if it's the hand break as I know nothing about cars lol it's only the one side though, not looking good by the sounds of things :(

Grant,

Don't worry about the ABS:  The warning light is on because the ABS sensor has sensed that the rear nearside wheel isn't turning properly(which it isn't).  This tells us that the ABS system is performing as it should.

The pressure applied to the brake pads isn't being released for some reason. It must be investigated.

'How much does it cost to have the calipers serviced?'

It's not a big job for a mechanic to deal with.  Jobs like this are 'bread and butter' to an experienced mechanic and it Will be back on the road soon.  He'll probably recommend new discs/pads but he will cure the cause as well as the symptoms.

• Like 1

Plenty of self-help videos on YouTube on how to service your calipers. You can buy caliper seal kits from Bigg Red (and others) 

Top tip: (tell your dad)... don't use 12-sided sockets to remove the caliper frame bolts, instead buy a set of 6-sided impact sockets from Halfords. That way you won't be rounding off the bolts. (which are very tight) 

• Like 1

Grant,

For a mechanic it's almost certain to be a 'piece of cake' (sorry about the bakery puns)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the advice it's much appreciated it really is. Anyone know a rough figure on how much it will cost? I've just spent 240 on all the tyres and of course now the brake pads and discs :( should have learnt mechanics in college lol 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club