Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Proactive oil change?

Guy Heaton

I've been thinking.  Car has done 5k but oil life is at 50% so will need an oil change at 14 months.  service is at 18k/2 years..

If I look out for an oil change offer somewhere z or even do it myself, I can reset the oil life so it coincides with the 2 year service.

Make sense or sound daft?

I'd probably just get it changed around the 12 months mark, halfway between new and it's first full service.

• Like 2

I’m new to brand new cars, does your warranty not cover that? 

Im also at 5k, 77% oil 

i thought oil life was worked out by time rather than anything else 

4 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I’m new to brand new cars, does your warranty not cover that? 

Im also at 5k, 77% oil 

i thought oil life was worked out by time rather than anything else 

You need to service your car to maintain the warranty. 

Warranty has never covered routine maintenance. 

oil life counter is a combination of time, temperature/journeys/driving style and mileage. 

• Like 4

I know a guy bought a new Kia ceed, 7 year warranty..great. 

Turns out the servicing to keep the warranty going is extortion. Poor boy hardly speaks English , salesman took advantage of his pigeon English. 

How longs the Ford warranties ? I don’t need to deal with any of that 

Base warranty is 3 years, can be extended to 5 when buying new. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

You need to service your car to maintain the warranty. Warranty has never covered routine maintenance. 

Oil life counter is a combination of time, temperature/journeys/driving style and mileage. 

Strangely I thought the oil life indicator was some to do with changes to the quality of the oil (not sure what). I know in VAG cars they have a sensor at the bottom of the sump to measure this. Not sure if Ford does.

10 hours ago, Jim H said:

Strangely I thought the oil life indicator was some to do with changes to the quality of the oil (not sure what). I know in VAG cars they have a sensor at the bottom of the sump to measure this. Not sure if Ford does.

Some have a sensor, others are based on PCM 'estimates'.

I'm surprised the oil life is so short on the petrols in this thread though.  It's usually DPF regens that dilute the oil causing the need for early changes.  

TBH 50% at 5300 would get me to 100% at 10600 which to me is a good time to change anyway.  IMO 18k is too long even with modern oils.

• Like 1

I don't understand my oil life estimation. After a year and 10k miles my oil life was about 90% now back to 100 after service.

2 hours ago, gillyallan said:

I don't understand my oil life estimation. After a year and 10k miles my oil life was about 90% now back to 100 after service.

If the oil has been changed at service then the oil life will have been reset to 100% 

If the oil has been changed at service then the oil life will have been reset to 100% 

Yes I get that but now over both years I've had car my oil life only seems to drop 10% over 10k each year. Folk here are dropping 50% at 5k.

2 hours ago, gillyallan said:

Yes I get that but now over both years I've had car my oil life only seems to drop 10% over 10k each year. Folk here are dropping 50% at 5k.

Diesels will drop more than petrols so maybe that's why? 

My car is down to 41% after approx 10k miles. 1.0 ecoboost petrol.

Diesels will drop more than petrols so maybe that's why? 
Mine is 1.0 ecoboost 125. Maybe I just do the sorts of drives it loves.

My Fiesta registered 1/3/2018 (pdi done 26/2/2018) is now showing 3% at just under 10,000 miles. I had the oil changed at the 12 month check but they didn't reset the oil life (it was on 56% then). service tomorrow.

For it to be back at 3% there must be sensors for oil quality?

12 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

For it to be back at 3% there must be sensors for oil quality?

Seems to me more like it's just counting down time.  56% at around 12 months (not reset at the oil change, as I mentioned) so 3% now at just short of 2 years seems about right on a time basis. 

As I think I mentioned in another thread I didn't know about the oil life monitor until I saw it mentioned on here, so wasn't watching it from the start. I assume it will be set back to 100% at tomorrow's service (I'll do it if not) and I'll watch it more closely from there to see how it goes.

Doh yes 3%.  In my head I had that as only 3% used.  😀

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I assume it will be set back to 100% at tomorrow's service (I'll do it if not) and I'll watch it more closely from there to see how it goes.

It was! Will keep an eye on it to see what happens from here.

Mines a 1.0 125 EB 1 year old next month with just over 5k miles and 54% oil life left. Do Ford recommend an oil change at a year old? I understand service schedules are every 2 years or 18k miles, but should we be having a yearly check/oil change?

56 minutes ago, Criot said:

I understand service schedules are every 2 years or 18k miles, but should we be having a yearly check/oil change?

That is the official service schedule but they do suggest a "convenience check" at 12 months, which also gets your breakdown cover extended for a further 12 months. The check does not include an oil change but a lot of members have had one at the same time. The official price is now around £105, though some dealers seem flexible on that.

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/service-and-maintenance/service-promotions/convenience-check

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club