Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake related issue

Grant2020

Hello I posted something last night (below)

Hello I have recently brought a 05 Ford Fiesta st and it's making a terrible grinding rubbing noise' the disc is very rusty and the pad is pitted, I got home tonight and went to reverse and it was like the hand brake was on but wat it was the back brake locked, I had to throw water over it to release it, will replacing the pads and discs solve the problem? As well as the noise whilst driving? If not any ideas on what this could be? 

I FORGOT TO MENTION THE ABS LIGHT IS ALSO ON.

I have phoned local garages and they said it is a faulty caliper, has anyone had a problem like this and can point me in the best direction? not strapped for cash at the minute as I have just done all new tyres and other stuff to pay out. I will have more money come pay day. 

Don't pour cold water on hot brakes, that's a good way to warp the disc.

Does sound like you've got a sticky caliper though.  Might be able to rescue it with a refurb but it'll be quicker & easier to chuck another on, preferably a good used one from a breaker if you're short of cash.  You will need a new set of rear pads & discs as well.

Ooops! Never new that.

How much are we looking at for a second hand one?

Will that also get rid of the ABS light?

Cheers for the reply

9 minutes ago, Grant2020 said:

Ooops! Never new that.

How much are we looking at for a second hand one?

Will that also get rid of the ABS light?

Cheers for the reply

£25-£50 for a used Mk6 rear caliper.  Try and get one with warranty if possible.

Did the ABS light only come on once the wheel had locked?  If yes, the light will go once repaired.  If it was already on before that there might be another fault.

Thank you.

Are they easy enough to fit yourself?

It will be my dad doing it of course, He knows how to do discs,pads and other stuff or is this for a mechanic to do? 

Easy enough to do yourself but you will need to top up the brake fluid and bleed the air out of the system afterwards.  I don't know your Dad personally lol, or what tools he has, so I don't know if that's something he'd feel confident with or not. 

I can't imagine a garage would charge more than an hours labour to do it if you'd prefer that. 

Grant2020, I've said this to a few others that have recently bought vehicles with problems and I'll say it again to you, if you've only recently bought the car, take it back to where you bought it and get them to sort it out, if you bought it privately you might not be able to but if you bought it from a dealer you definitely should, it's a serious safety issue and an MOT failure. I think you'll find that the rear brakes are drum and shoe, not disc.

7 minutes ago, Milkman said:

I think you'll find that the rear brakes are drum and shoe, not disc.

The ST comes with discs, all other Mk6s come with drums.

Thanks everyone so much it means alot, my dad knows and is confident in doing it all (caliper) just he's struggling getting a nut and bolt off, its rusty and just doesnt want to come off lol,any ideas how he can get the last one off? Thanks guys!

Heat it up until the metal expands and then it should loosen off.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club