Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommendation For Accurate Tyre Pressure Measurement!

CallMeSteven

I have the FordPass App, which says my Tyre Pressures are 39/37/37/37 (PSI) - They should be 33 (for up to three people).

Today I measured the tyre pressures (from cold) and got an average of 34 PSI.

My brother has the same model foot pump as mine, but his read an average of 36!

Very confusing why all these different readings. Can anyone recommend a gauge to measure tyre pressures accurately ?

I've noticed the Ford pass app tends to tell you the readings from the end of your last journey, so they are warm temperatures. My app always shows pressures a good 2-3 PSI over what they are when cold.

I use this one and find it accurate. It won a group test from one of the car magazines some years back:

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-and-pressure-gauges/halfords-digital-tyre-pressure%2Ftread-gauge-239116.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, CallMeSteven said:

Foot pump?? Honestly buddy, treat yourself to either a digital tyre gauge, like a Michelin, or indeed, a digital air compressor with a built in cut off which will inflate tyre to correct pressure then cut out. (oh, and as said, always do from cold...)

michelin-4389ml-car-tyre-air-pump-tire-compressor-inflator-pressure-abtan-1708-10-abtan@1.thumb.jpg.8e2525cb661229f16269a7bd2b72e8f3.jpg

• Like 2

I'm still using my Father's "Dunlop Minor"....... Cast iron and brass, with a leather washer.

I check pressures with a decent pressure guage, and cross check with a second.

Mine are nitrogen filled. Keeps the pressures good and doesn't fluctuate wildly at different temperatures. 

• Like 1

The Ford Pass app does say that it is only a guide and not to be taken as gospel.
A decent hand gauge is essential.
I use this one-

Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge, Car Tire Pressure Gauge for Truck Car Motorcycle Bicycle with Hose and Backlight LCD Display https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0755V8JY2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_F3buEbHBRYM5X

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alexp999 said:

I've noticed the Ford pass app tends to tell you the readings from the end of your last journey, so they are warm temperatures. My app always shows pressures a good 2-3 PSI over what they are when cold.

I use this one and find it accurate. It won a group test from one of the car magazines some years back:

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-and-pressure-gauges/halfords-digital-tyre-pressure%2Ftread-gauge-239116.html

Yes, that’s the one I use and have found it to be very good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CallMeSteven said:

I have the FordPass App, which says my Tyre Pressures are 39/37/37/37 (PSI) - They should be 33 (for up to three people).

Today I measured the tyre pressures (from cold) and got an average of 34 PSI.

Very confusing why all these different readings. Can anyone recommend a gauge to measure tyre pressures accurately ?

I think the Ford  Pass app is just a guide. It says it is not to be used as a pressure gauge. It is probably  connected  to whatever sensor tells you that you have a problem. We use the one at Sainsbury’s usually. 

• Like 1

stressing over this is a total waste of time...

the pressures will go up and down 3 PSI dependant upon weather conditions

they then change up to 5 PSI based on tyre temperatures

thus if its sitting parked up on a cold day, say 10C and one tyre on the right front gets sun for 2 hour its at 32psi whilst the other side is at 29 PSI, you drive to the shops with a journey that's predominantly left hand corners going gently, at 4 miles in they are the same pressure they were when you set out.  Next day atmospheric pressure has changed and the both jump up 2 PSI, but everything else is exactly the same.  But you're late so you do the same trip in a hurry.  When you get to Sainsburys, left front is at 34 and so is the right front.  But you parked in a puddle and waited 20 mins in a queue now both tyres are now cold and are at 30PSI

except they weren't.... the left one got a nail yesterday and dropped to 25 and stopped... the garage you use has always had a tyre pump's gauge that misreads by 5 PSI… and no one ever explained you must use the trigger to release the air to get an accurate reading... So if you pumped one to 32PSI and stopped bang on, but on another you went over and dropped back to 32, one is really at 32 the other is at 30... and last time you fixed a puncture the garage didn't tighten the valve correctly and one rear one's been on 20 PSI for the last 4 months

Bung in about what it needs, check its about right regularly and the 1 to 2 PSI is irrelevant unless you get and manage around all the fun listed above.  The biggest change I get is summer to winter I see 3 PSI change, and if its your bike they leak out 3 PSI a month and modern geometry and silly tyres designed to understeer run a critical window where its al over the place unless you get the front inside a 5 PSI window.  Whereas most cars could be 8 PSI either side and 85 out of 100 drivers won't be able to feel the difference

If you get the readout from real TPMS, the reading appears more stable in Bar, 01 Bar = 1.5 PSI there is no way the sensors built for 30 quid can measure properly outside 0.1 Bar accuracy.  And don't for get all real TPMS sensors continually lie to make you feel better... as they broadcast over BT both temp and pressure and the car builds in compensation to the readings for temp impact as the tyres warm or very cold temps

• Like 1

Well good news. Further to previous post (above) I purchased this Tiretek Flexi-Pro Tyre Pressure Gauge, Heavy Duty Car. 

It confirmed that my tyre pressure guage correctly measured my pressure at 34 psi (my brother's gauge said 36 psi!)

The Tiretek is well worth the £14, lovely design and works very well.

• Like 1

Great choice, a true family heirloom, and pressure release valve often overlooked by cheaper gauges!

• Like 1

how about this tyre checker. trusty 1990 variant.  believe it or not  its still accurate when tested by our calibration guy who visits to check our tyre inflators and torque wrenches are within tolerences. 

20200226_181127.jpg

• Like 4

Iantt's is very similar to mine, about the same age as well. Small, reliable, no batteries. Ideal. Still available new for less than £10.

• Like 2

My 87 year old father still has one of those & uses it 😀

16 hours ago, iantt said:

how about this tyre checker. trusty 1990 variant.

That design goes way back. I remember my father using one in the 1950's (shows how old I am 😀) and it probably pre-dates that by a number of years. A classic design. I still have one.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 3:57 PM, alexp999 said:

I've use that model, seems to work well and handily also allows for easy tread measurements.