Sign in to follow this  
mokes

Android head unit..recommendations?

I'm looking get an Android HU so that I have SatNav, music etc on tap rather than plugging in my phone.

I would prefer one with a cd player as I have loads, but really what I'm looking for is opinions from members that have got one.

Easy to install? Do I need SatNav or would it be able to use/download apps like Herewego ( its basically an Android tablet in the dash isnt it?)

On 2/21/2020 at 8:15 PM, mokes said:

I'm looking get an Android HU so that I have SatNav, music etc on tap rather than plugging in my phone.

I would prefer one with a cd player as I have loads, but really what I'm looking for is opinions from members that have got one.

Easy to install? Do I need SatNav or would it be able to use/download apps like Herewego ( its basically an Android tablet in the dash isnt it?)

I did this (install a custom android HU) back when I had my Mk2.5 Focus.

It was pretty easy removing the old unit and putting the new one in. But it took so much faffing about and cursing, trying to get the wiring harness to fit far enough back into the hole in the dash behind the head-unit, so that the head-unit wouldn't stick out, and the screws would align.

Most android head-units come with a GPS dongle - you need to place it on your dash somewhere, and then run the cable back behind the head-unit. If I remember correctly, you can run the cable behind the headunit, across and behind the glovebox, and then exit the cable near the A-pillar/door frame. I stuck mine to the front left corner of my dash with lots of blue-tack - barely noticeable when driving, and it never once moved in the years I had it.

Regarding GPS apps - install whatever you want. Download the APK for the app you want off the internet, transfer it to the head-unit via bluetooth, SD memory card, USB or whatever, and you're golden. I used Waze most of the time.

Ok, cheers. Most seem to be lacking the cd player, but then that leaves more room for the cables.😀

I gather that I can  buy a wiring harness that will plug into the cars harness connector. Then as you say, I need to join these wires to the relevant wires on the harness connected to the unit. Saves cutting into the vehicle wiring.

Just got to choose one now.

Ok, got my new Android unit and bought a quadlock connector/adaptor to splice into rather than into the original wiring. That was the plan anyway.

Got the Ford unit out and looking at the quadlock, there are a great many wires in there that do not have a matching connection on the adaptor or to the new unit.

Ford wiring diagrams on the web differ immensely, so not much help. Lots mention canbus adaptors but the Chinese seller assures me that I just connect key 1 and 2 to make steering controls work?

The speaker wiring side is ok, I can work that out, but steering wheel control (key 1 and 2?) the glovebox aux input and some other wires on the quadlock that are a mystery to me as to their purpose have got me stumped. I didnt want to start cutting into the vehicle harness, but seems there is no other way. I dont think the glovebox aux input is ever going to work either as there is no means of making a connection to the new unit.

Maybe its just me? Key 1 and 2 for example,  what on earth does that mean?

Just wondering if I should have spent more and got plug and play?

Had an old ISO connector knocking around so I got the wires and pins off of it to allow me to populate the rather lacking quadlock adaptor. Now I have power, acc, dimming without cutting into any wires on the car.

Seems all the other wires in the car side of the quadlock are for canbu ( 2x wires), radio keycode ( 1 x wire- dont  need that now) and alarm (1 x wire).

Still got to work out how to get the steering wheel controls to work, I think that is the 2 x wires in the small connector on the quadlock? (Brown/yellow and black/white.)

The other small connector on yhe quadlock is for the aux input, which I wont be able to use, but you can buy a 'usb to 3.5mm female adaptor' and as this unit has 2 x usb 'fly leads', I'll still have one free.

Well, after wiring up the Speakers it would appear that this unit is rubbish.

The sound is not as rich/clean as the stock Ford unit and the volume goes up in large steps, not gradually. After a point it suddenly jumps to such a high volume that the Speakers distort. Utter *****.

Ok, so neither are for steering wheel control then. Odd though as I'm sure that one of the small connectors only has two wires in it? (Brown/yellow and black/white.)

I'll take the cowling off the steering column and try to trace the wires back.

Bit of a moot point at the moment though as the unit is faulty.

Ok, the black connector has two wires in it as I said. Same colour wires as connected to the steering controller stalk.

After much fussing about, I worked out that despite what is says in the 'instructions' you have to connect key1 and key2 wires TOGETHER to pin6 on the black connector. The are the 'switch' wires and allow programming of the stalk. The unit then needs to be grounded via pin 8 on the black connector.

Some fettling of the equaliser has improved the sound.

Just so you know.