Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handbrake Button Stuck in

andylloyd0808

I have just had two new front tyres and front wheel tracking on my Fiesta and when I have collected my car, my handbrake button is stuck in. It was fine before I took it in. It works ok but it is quite annoying. I think I'm going to take it back to the garage that fit my tyres next week for them to have a look at but does anyone know what could have caused this? 

A worn pawl or ratchet if the handbrake has been constantly raked when applied, not to say you have but you should depress the button and release it when you have lifted the lever rather than let the pawl rake over the ratchet. Sometimes the spring on the rod behind the button fails.

21 hours ago, Milkman said:

A worn pawl or ratchet if the handbrake has been constantly raked when applied, not to say you have but you should depress the button and release it when you have lifted the lever rather than let the pawl rake over the ratchet. Sometimes the spring on the rod behind the button fails.

Oh don't get me started on this subject...

All I will say is how do you think the ratchet in your socket set works and doesn't wear out? 

A socket set ratchet components are hardened blue steel, car handbrake ratchet is mild steel, the pawl is hardened steel which raking over the ratchet wears the teeth. It was always drummed into me when I was learning to drive, several decades ago, to depress the button before lifting the lever and only release it at the top of it's travel. I'm sure that the quality of the parts in older vehicles were of a far greater quality then than they are now, I've known those that have applied the handbrake so hard that they had to belt the button with a hammer to release it and also those that have torn the bracket out of the floor!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club