Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to tell a 1.5 150bhp from a 182bhp

Thoric

Hey all,

I'm taking a Focus for a test drive tomorrow, it's the 1.5 litre 182bhp version, but I understand the 150 bhp version is the same engine.

I want to know, to be sure I'm not getting cheated, how can I tell this car is a genuine 182 bhp model if externally they look the same as a 150 bhp model?? Should it be in the car's documentation? Or maybe written into the engine bay somewhere?

Ask to see the cars V5C document.

On the first inside page under Vehicle Details look at the lower left of that box and you'll see the entry P.2:

This gives the maximum net power rating expressed as kiloWatts.

Multiply this figure by 1.341 to give you the BHP.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thank you! I would never have figured that out for myself, I'll be sure to check today.

• Like 1

Neither of those will show the bhp data.

• Like 1

If you are test driving it. It should also say the power output on the b pillar sticker. 

10 hours ago, Thoric said:

Hey all,

I'm taking a Focus for a test drive tomorrow, it's the 1.5 litre 182bhp version, but I understand the 150 bhp version is the same engine.

I want to know, to be sure I'm not getting cheated, how can I tell this car is a genuine 182 bhp model if externally they look the same as a 150 bhp model?? Should it be in the car's documentation? Or maybe written into the engine bay somewhere?

As far as I know the 1.5L 182 is only available in the ST line X and the Vignale. Not sure which models have the 150bhp version. I’d take the advice above as I’d think there’s very little difference between the two. 

TBH under normal driving there's no difference between the 150 and 182. From an earlier thread

Both produce the same torque from idle to about 4500 rpm. Then the 150 map starts to reduce torque output to maintain 150PS max, where the 182 PS keeps going until about 5500rpm where it runs out of puff.

In other words, if you typically change gear before 4500rpm, they are EXACTLY the same performance.

Otherwise the 182 PS, just gives you an extra 1000rpm of peak torque.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ianincheshire said:

TBH under normal driving there's no difference between the 150 and 182. From an earlier thread

They’re my words. 😉

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nard said:

Surely on the motorway at 70mph the 182 will have lower rpm?

Why would it? Same engine and gearbox. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the advice - this is a great forum with some really helpful folk.

So I took it for a test drive. Personally, I was a little underwhelmed when I hoofed it on a straight, was expecting to be pressed back into my seat a little.

I asked the seller for the V5 to check some details, he refused to show me, said something about Data Protection and that the previous owner's details are on it, so he can't. I suggested that, were I to buy it, the new V5 would always show the previous owner's details anyway and he told me that they've changed and they don't anymore - is this true or seller BS?

I also asked to see the documentation, to review service history etc. He vanished for a few minutes, and came back without it saying "To be honest, it's got a full service history, so that's good." I was a bit disappointed that he wouldn't bring me any paperwork. (This is Arnold Clark BTW, so I expected better).

I photographed the VIN number and checked against Etis - it is a 180 bhp, so that's at least accurate.

When I looked around the car I noticed several pieces of evidence of a frontal impact, but again the seller was quite dismissive. I thought I'd mention those points here to see if I'm paranoid, or if you guys also think this is worrying:

• Where the bumper meets the front wheel arches, on both sides, the edges are not even, with the bumper looking quite mismatched at the outer edge.
  • Front left wheel arch, where it meets the bumper, looks like it's been resprayed because there's a paint lump.
  • Front left fog light cluster is not seated correctly in the bumper
  • Left wing mirror is scratched, and the body-coloured plastic cover is slightly detached from the black plaster trim around the mirror.
  • The bumper seemed to be a slightly different colour to the wheel arches - although I wasn't sure if this was just my eyes.
  • The bonnett front edge didn't sit flush with the bumper, it seemed raised. Seller told me all Focuses have that, so I checked other Focuses on the lot and indeed there was a raised front but not quite so noticeably. I think maybe in this case the front bumper plastics are all pushed down and in a bit, which indicatesto me that there's been a bit of an impact.
  • I looked inside the bonnet space, but it's so packed tight in there I couldn't see the structural components to check for any damage. I'd need to get underneath really to be sure.
  • Also, the car hasn't been road taxes for 4 months, which was brushed aside as a "You don't never know what the previous owner was doing, might have driven it around untaxed", but that tells me the car's been in the hands of this dealership for the whole of winter unsold. Raises my suspicions slightly for what is a fairly high-spec Focus. He told me though that the car had just come in.

The price of the car is competitively low, but you can't admit that to the seller without effectively throwing away any bartering power you might have.

Would appreciate any advice chaps, if you have anything to add.

Walk away.

There will be others.

To be frank, that salesman is full of *****.

• Like 4

Agreed, sounds like lots of waffle and no truth.
Arnold Clark are crap anyway.

• Like 2

Ok, that's decided then, walking away.

I'm now thinking, having read this forum a lot, that I can get a 1.5l 150 bhp and apply a demontweeks blue chip to get the same performance as the 182 bhp models, given the hardware is the same.

That could save me a grand at the till, roundabout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thoric said:

So I took it for a test drive. Personally, I was a little underwhelmed when I hoofed it on a straight, was expecting to be pressed back into my seat a little.

You thought 182bhp would pin you in your seat?? 

I've had 300bhp cars that don't do that

16 minutes ago, m50e30 said:

Not pinned, no, that's ferrari territory, just "pressed back...a little" which is what I said. But to be fair, you're right to point this out, I think I need to recalibrate my expectations. I currently drive a grotequely underpowered 68bhp Yars and the acceleration is unnoticeable. For three times the power output I expected a bit of thrill with this Focus, but I guess you need even more to be discovering any real fun factor?

A bit of history: My previous car was a roadster, not especially quick by any means, but really great fun, always put a smile on my face when driving it. This Focus is technically quicker off the mark, but it didn't feel like it. Perhaps that's down to the Focus being a more controlled delivery of power, a more refined experience? Shouldn't have expected raw thrill despite the superior stats.

11 minutes ago, m50e30 said:

It’s not a hot hatch by today’s standards but compared to what we had in the 90s it’s pretty quick.

1 hour ago, Thoric said:

This is Arnold Clark BTW, so I expected better).

First mistake right there. 

I don’t know about England but in Scotland they have a terrible reputation. But are the biggest so people tend to think they are trustworthy until they get burnt. 

A nearly new car off the road for 4 months. It’s been sat in an Arnold Sharks garage getting patched up for some poor b*****d to buy. 

When I got mine last year there weren’t many on the road , now there’s loads..keep looking.  mines an automatic 182 , I really liked it from first minute I drove it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Thoric said:

always put a smile on my face when driving it

That’s the best words i could use to describe my Focus, even now 5 months later. 

Last car was an Astra 1.6  SRi  , it was hard work. The focus is a pleasure to drive. 

• Like 1

Bear in mind that an aftermarket remap would void any manufacturers warranty remaining.

Performance of my 182 auto isn't blistering but you do feel it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Thoric said:

Thanks everyone for the advice - this is a great forum with some really helpful folk.

I asked the seller for the V5 to check some details, he refused to show me, said something about Data Protection and that the previous owner's details are on it, so he can't. I suggested that, were I to buy it, the new V5 would always show the previous owner's details anyway and he told me that they've changed and they don't anymore - is this true or seller BS?

I also asked to see the documentation, to review service history etc. He vanished for a few minutes, and came back without it saying "To be honest, it's got a full service history, so that's good." I was a bit disappointed that he wouldn't bring me any paperwork. (This is Arnold Clark BTW, so I expected better).

I photographed the VIN number and checked against Etis - it is a 180 bhp, so that's at least accurate.

When I looked around the car I noticed several pieces of evidence of a frontal impact, but again the seller was quite dismissive. I thought I'd mention those points here to see if I'm paranoid, or if you guys also think this is worrying:

• Where the bumper meets the front wheel arches, on both sides, the edges are not even, with the bumper looking quite mismatched at the outer edge.
  • Front left wheel arch, where it meets the bumper, looks like it's been resprayed because there's a paint lump.
  • Front left fog light cluster is not seated correctly in the bumper
  • Left wing mirror is scratched, and the body-coloured plastic cover is slightly detached from the black plaster trim around the mirror.
  • The bumper seemed to be a slightly different colour to the wheel arches - although I wasn't sure if this was just my eyes.
  • The bonnett front edge didn't sit flush with the bumper, it seemed raised. Seller told me all Focuses have that, so I checked other Focuses on the lot and indeed there was a raised front but not quite so noticeably. I think maybe in this case the front bumper plastics are all pushed down and in a bit, which indicatesto me that there's been a bit of an impact.
  • I looked inside the bonnet space, but it's so packed tight in there I couldn't see the structural components to check for any damage. I'd need to get underneath really to be sure.
  • Also, the car hasn't been road taxes for 4 months, which was brushed aside as a "You don't never know what the previous owner was doing, might have driven it around untaxed", but that tells me the car's been in the hands of this dealership for the whole of winter unsold. Raises my suspicions slightly for what is a fairly high-spec Focus. He told me though that the car had just come in.

The price of the car is competitively low, but you can't admit that to the seller without effectively throwing away any bartering power you might have.

Would appreciate any advice chaps, if you have anything to add.

Yes, walk away.

Only the ST-Line X and Vignale are 182PS all other models are 150PS

• Like 3

Arnold Shark doing their usual bullsh**. 

When I bought my Focus there (through necessity) I asked the boy how long they had had it in, specifically asking to see if he would try and lie. He said he reckoned it had only come in the weekend before - I called him out because I could see that the brake discs were rusting up and said no chance, it’s been here at least a few weeks. Cue back-pedalling and from then on he didn’t try any further bullsh**. 

Not producing V5 when requested, not producing service history when requested, that’s a huge red flag and you’ve made the right choice. 

FWIW, I have the 1.5 120 and I’m extremely impressed with the power. Compared with my other two Focus which were the 1.6 115 it feels miles faster to me. I presume once I pick up my ST I will feel like it’s slow but it definitely has a bit of poke, especially when the turbo shows up. They’ve got a good turbo on there to eek extra performance out of a smaller engine and I love it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club