Do Not Sell My Personal Information

poor mpg?

DNGTRN

Hi guys, new to this forum as I only got my fiesta a few days ago, so far I've done around 120 miles. I put a full tank in it yesterday, and already used a quarter of a tank and I'm apparently only getting around 23mpg, and that's with some short motorway trips as well, wondering if theres a break in period while the engine settles or the knock sensors do their thing to adjust the fuelling. I'm also using the eco guide on the dash to make sure I'm shifting gears at the right time, I used regular e5 from the BP garage. Will my fuel economy get better once I've done a bit more mileage?

52 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

What engine and transmission type?

How are you working out mpg?

1L EcoBoost, manual, and using the onboard mpg count

Have you reset the counter since picking up the car?

The shunting to get it to you isn’t very economical. 

The onboard mpg count isn't reliable anyway.   The only way to get a true reading is to fill up to the brim and note the mileage.   Next time you fill up to the brim note the mileage again and you will then be able to work out exactly what mpg your getting.

• Like 3

the 1.0 ecoboost is the most sensitive engine i've ever driven as regards to mpg. as i've said elsewhere on this forum you can have eco or boost but not both at the same time. drive economically and mpg is very good go for a spirited drive and watch the mpg plummet. 

• Like 2

While the above points are valid. The onboard mpg counter isn’t THAT far out. It’s maybe 3-4 mpg out. 

I’d be expecting you to see another 10 mpg even in worst circumstances on the onboard. That’s why I asked if you’d reset it since picking it up. If it still has all the shunting on and off transporters on the trip, that will be affecting the average mpg readout. 

• Like 2

I zero Trip 1 every time I fill up, and do my own mpg calculation using the brim to brim method, as Bob mentions. Trip 2 I have left running from delivery to see how it compares with my own accurate figures. The Trip 2 long term average over just under 10k miles is around 47, my figure is around 45, so as Alex suggests, it's not too far out once it settles down.

• Like 1

I get 47mpg and that's motorway miles most days.

When im stuck in traffic most nights coming out of town,it drops to 45.

I get around 38-42mpg, i do relatively short journeys and have the odd long ish journey.

I did find that it took around 1000 miles for the engine to "break in", before that my MPG was around 35 or lower. 

2 hours ago, Bobr said:

The onboard mpg count isn't reliable anyway.   The only way to get a true reading is to fill up to the brim and note the mileage.   Next time you fill up to the brim note the mileage again and you will then be able to work out exactly what mpg your getting.

Do you have to reset the trip mileage as well at the time of filling up?

37 minutes ago, Bailey5776 said:

I get around 38-42mpg, i do relatively short journeys and have the odd long ish journey.

I did find that it took around 1000 miles for the engine to "break in", before that my MPG was around 35 or lower. 

I get similar,  around 39-41mpg on my work commute, its only 12 miles for me to get to work and that's using country lanes, also get a bit of traffic at times so I don't expect to get as high as some of you, my car has only done 1200 miles so it could improve a little, but as someone said the 1l engine is very sensitive to how you apply the pedal.

the best MPG I could manage is 3.8l/100 km on a highway trip of 125 km on a speed 50-60 mph ( 80-90 km/h ) , at the end of the trip my distance to empty was 841 km !! 

mine is 1.0 ecoboost 100ps automatic

Most of my driving is in and around Nottingham.   At times it can be really congested and a pain to drive in.   My car, Ecoboost 100, averages 40 mpg.   In the recent snow and ice I still got 39.1 mpg.

On 2/23/2020 at 3:04 PM, alexp999 said:

The onboard mpg counter isn’t THAT far out. It’s maybe 3-4 mpg out. 

I'd agree with that, In my testing using the brim to brim method it's fairly close. If the dash display says 50mpg I'm getting about 47 real value.

As suggested I'd make sure you have reset the trip meter (hold down the OK button for a few seconds, it will tell you it's resetting on the display.

Then see what values you get after a tankful or so.

Mine did improve after about 3,000 miles or so but only by about 2 mpg. I was getting about mid 40's mpg from day 1 and now averaging about 47 mpg on my daily 64 mile round trip commute.  I'm anticipating it will just nudge into the 50's mpg in the summer months (Fiesta ST-Line X 140, 2019 with just under 7,000 miles on the clock now)

Got up to 39 on mine, really don’t know how people get high 40’s!

38mpg town driving only on a 140 empirically measured. I have a heavy foot. Computer is always 10-12% overly optimistic which has to be deliberate by Ford as fuel injection ought to make measuring it a doddle. As said above it's VERY sensitive to driving style. You need to dive it like a Nun to get good figures.

Still getting over 50mpg on mine (over 18k miles), did a brim-to-brim check a month or so ago and calculated 56mpg (car computer showed 57.8mpg so not too far out). I usually assume a 5-10% over read on the car computer...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Popshot said:

You need to dive it like a Nun to get good figures.

You won't catch me wearing a wimple :).

As I said I'm getting about 47 mpg on my usual commute and I'm certainly not driving that slowly. Doing an indicated 75 mph (70 according to sat nav)  on the Motorway and 60 ish on the A roads where appropriate. Apart from continuous stop/start driving in towns in cold weather I'd find it hard to get under 40mpg even if I was driving like a boy racer.

If I drove it like a Nun pottering around at 40  and not going over 60 on the motorways I'm sure I could get 55mpg easily

In my tests the dash readout is about 5% optimistic. 

It might be worth signing up to http://www.fuelly.com/ to keep a tab on your mpg over your next few fill-ups at least.

At just over 40,600 miles from new my mpg is ~42 and my dash is reading 46.9 mpg - http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/fiesta/2015/zico/355158 (change settings to UK mpg otherwise it defaults to US figures) and this is from the Mk 7 ST 1.6L engine.

12 hours ago, martinf64 said:

Still getting over 50mpg on mine (over 18k miles), did a brim-to-brim check a month or so ago and calculated 56mpg (car computer showed 57.8mpg so not too far out). I usually assume a 5-10% over read on the car computer...

Thats really good, what kind of roads do you drive on to get such good mpg?

It's strange how some like myself get around 40mpg and others like yourself high 40s/50s.

I hope my mpg will improve some, only done 1500 miles, but my journeys are fairly short and I always have climate/AC on,  plus I have the panoramic sunroof which adds weight. I do think i would get high 40s if I did longer journeys though.

I'm averaging between 42-43 mpg. But managed 47.7 at the weekend in my journey back from Anglesey back to bolton. I was happy with this as i had a lot of weight in the car and was doing 77 on the motorway. I reckon if i had no load i would have got in the 50s.

1L 140.  95% short journeys in city traffic and I am getting 39.1 MPG. I have a very light touch on the gas pedal and know the traffic light sequences off-by-heart.

1.1 Tend.  43.3mpg average on Fuely mainly local running.  Best tank 48.9mpg on a return run to Nottinghamshire from Kent. Trip computer is within 1 mpg. Only got 1000 miles on clock so will hopefully improve as the car loosens up and the weather wams up. 

11 hours ago, mitch84 said:

Thats really good, what kind of roads do you drive on to get such good mpg?

It's strange how some like myself get around 40mpg and others like yourself high 40s/50s.

I hope my mpg will improve some, only done 1500 miles, but my journeys are fairly short and I always have climate/AC on,  plus I have the panoramic sunroof which adds weight. I do think i would get high 40s if I did longer journeys though.

22 mile commute each way with a mixture of country, dual carriageway & city traffic..although I go through the city early in the morning so no traffic. I'm not heavy footed but the ecoboost 140 engine got plenty of grunt available when I need it. I've filled up a few days ago & the car reading is settling around 53mpg...a lot of queues atm in/around Worcester because of the flooding...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club