Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus ST250 - tracker

Monks600

Afternoon,

Well... a few days ago I finished work to find some scumbag had smashed my drivers side window in and went straight for the OBD port in an attempt to steal my car. When they realised they had no chance they just nicked my iPhone charging cable and that was it but left my debit card on the seat.

They had a good rummage removing panels and trims in an attempt to find a kill switch for the OBD port, it was an absolute mess.

Luckily I disabled to OBD port and can simply enable this when needed. This little mod was the difference between just a smashed window and then having no car.

Now, with me having a tough time clearing all the glass and replacing the window myself I’ve slapped some stickers on the windows saying ‘OBD port disabled’ in an attempt to prevent another window mess.

Now, I want a tracker for peace of mind and have come across this, apparently I can wire this to the ignition so I can kill it remotely if needed... where would the best place to tap in to the wiring be?

Here’s what I’m considering: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F231136139882

Everyone, please please please just re locate or disabled your OBD port. The amount of people losing there cars due to these scum bags is not unbelievable... even pull out the fuse, that works too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i know this is going off topic a bit but why on earth was your debit card in the car?

I don't know if sticker saying obd port disabled helps much.

It's a bit like vans saying 'no tools left in vehicle overnight' which in many cases means 'there are tools in here but I want you to think there is not' 

personally I think the visual deterrent of a big lock over the steering wheel is the best (obviously a decent quality one that is hard to remove). 

Was my old one that I completely forgot about, actually thought I lost it. Requested a new card but was surprised they didn’t take it!

And this is true, completely get where you’re coming from...

Yeah, I’ll have a look. Cheers!

I have no knowledge of this. Please can you elaborate if I have this on a Mk4 Focus titanium and how it would help somebody steal the car. 
I thought it was just the key thing I had to worry about!! 
thank you. 

I have no knowledge of this. Please can you elaborate if I have this on a Mk4 Focus titanium and how it would help somebody steal the car. 
I thought it was just the key thing I had to worry about!! 
thank you. 

Literally they smash the drivers side window, plug in a device and drive off with your car within 30 seconds. It’s ridiculous.

I have this one...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07PGJRJPT?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Works well. Hidden well behind the dash.

Matt

Cheers I’ve got that one in my basket on amazon as well, what’s the app like?

2 minutes ago, Monks600 said:

Cheers I’ve got that one in my basket on amazon as well, what’s the app like?

It's good. Pretty accurate. you can set up alerts if the car moves etc.

Saved me a few quid when the car was in the garage last months when the app alerted me to it being moved at 8PM and it was in tesco carpark. Lol

Matt

• Like 1

It's good. Pretty accurate. you can set up alerts if the car moves etc.
Saved me a few quid when the car was in the garage last months when the app alerted me to it being moved at 8PM and it was in tesco carpark. Lol
Matt

Good stuff, may give it a go. Cheers mate!

So they don't need the key? Even for a MK2 without push start or anything?

So they don't need the key? Even for a MK2 without push start or anything?

That’s correct, it’s rather scary. There’s loads of videos on YouTube showing you how they do it and from security companies.

Wow never knew that, what is the best method to disable the OBD? Might look at a tracker as well.

Wow never knew that, what is the best method to disable the OBD? Might look at a tracker as well.

Pull the fuse or literally pop it out of its holder and place it and cable tie it right back in to the dashboard. The fuse should be in your manual. Think it’s called the data link fuse or something daft?

Will do that tomorrow, I take it removing the fuse doesn't affect anything else?

Here’s a video for reference regarding how they do it:

I am literally just watching that 🙂 Pretty crazy thinking how quick it can be done, so much for security!

I am literally just watching that [emoji846] Pretty crazy thinking how quick it can be done, so much for security!

Yeah, you’d never think it would happen to you but it does. I’ve had the ST for 2 years now and parked in some rough places... I never thought it would happen right outside my work place though! I’m just so glad I disabled the OBD port or else this would have been a different post

Absolutely, going to sort the fuse tomorrow and get a tracking unit. Best I can do for now.

There is a company doing a fake OBD port which connects just the power to the original port so looks like the obd is working but in reality is not transmitting any data, that might be an option to look at

• Like 1

Will do that tomorrow, I take it removing the fuse doesn't affect anything else?

Nope, literally kills power to the OBD port. Pop the fuse back in when ever you need to tinker or take it in for a service

There is a company doing a fake OBD port which connects just the power to the original port so looks like the obd is working but in reality is not transmitting any data, that might be an option to look at

Yeah just seen one on eBay as well quite interesting might give it a go!

• Like 1

But moving obd port does not prevent the damage done getting into car. A big visual lock thing on the steering wheel might.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Monks600 said:

Now, I want a tracker for peace of mind and have come across this, apparently I can wire this to the ignition so I can kill it remotely if needed... where would the best place to tap in to the wiring be?

Here’s what I’m considering: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F231136139882

Are you sure it has a "kill switch"?

Are you sure it has a "kill switch"?

It doesn’t have one built in, but you can send a remote command which will then send a signal to anything you attach to that specific wire. My idea is that when a command is sent it could either turn off the fuel pump via a relay or send a signal to the ignition to turn the engine off.

16 hours ago, isetta said:

But moving obd port does not prevent the damage done getting into car. A big visual lock thing on the steering wheel might.

Agreed, was looking at this, looks like it would double as a bat lol

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-security/milenco-high-security-steering-wheel-lock----silver-686411.html

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club