Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unsure of what's causing power loss and oil in engine bay

WoodieWoodsta

Hey, so I recently bought a 1.6 tdci focus and it had a few cosmetic bits to fix but I ended up finding out the turbo was blown and seized,  I just put a new one in and for a very short time it seemed it was running better and I could feel the turbo kicking in. Now it feels only slightly better than before and there is oil over pipes that's are 100% sealed and I'm not sure where it's coming from. 

Also I dont know if it's normal but where the air box meets the turbo and cams, the cam connector pipe bit is loose and the clip looks broken,  can easily be pulled away/off and there is a large amount of oil there, is this normal or okay?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated,  I'm new here and quite new to doing my own work so go easy on me. Cheers all.

Ps will go get some pictures and attach

Oh and one more thing I forgot to mention is that since I installed the new turbo when I first start the car (maybe just because its cold) it wont go above 3000 rpm without pushing through it as it gets stuck and caught there then as I let my foot off the accelerator I see smoke shooting out the exhaust. This only happens for a short while then all seems fine. Never happens when I drive either.  Cheers again.

In your first post are you talking about oil from this part

Loads of these cars have turbo failure due to the oil supply pipe to turbo restricting oil supply due to it being clogged up with gunge and carbon. If that isn’t sorted out then replacement turbos don’t last long.

• Like 1

Yes so the image I've circled red that comes off easily and is filled with oil, and the blue circle is the other one now covered in oil towards the left side. 

Also is it the oil feed pipe you're saying I need to replace or the oil return pipe?

(At work so found a picture of an identical engine for reference)

Snapchat-1267332522.jpg

9 hours ago, WoodieWoodsta said:

Yes so the image I've circled red that comes off easily and is filled with oil, and the blue circle is the other one now covered in oil towards the left side. 

Also is it the oil feed pipe you're saying I need to replace or the oil return pipe?

(At work so found a picture of an identical engine for reference)

Snapchat-1267332522.jpg

I'm no expert on the turbo as I've not changed one myself but I can tell you that one of the fixes for the turbo failures was to fit a new wider oil feed pipe.  I've got a feeling the sump might have been replaced as part of it with a redesigned one, and then regular oil changes recommended (every 6000 miles) to reduce the carbon build up.  Just to be sure, are you running the 110bhp or 90bhp 1.6?  Some of the 90 versions don't have the issue because there's no dpf filter which was the root cause of the problem (the heat from it was cooking the oil hence carbon build up..)

I would hazard a guess the blue circled pipe has a fine crack in it either where you've circled or on its way down past the oil filter. They're prone to cracking and will spray oil everywhere.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club