Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tools carried in the boot?

Nick Charles
聽Share

I've always carried some tools with me and on the last two cars I've had I've cut the number down so I just have the bare minimum (and maybe a few extra聽馃檮).

So couple of questions do others carry tools with them and if so what do you carry?

This is only focus specific in that I'm trying to tailor what I'm carrying to fit a 2010 focus hatchback which has much less room in the back than my old Saloon car. I've already jettisoned a 1/2 inch socket set but am keeping a much lighter smaller 3/8 inch Bahco set that covers most needs. Theres an assortment of spanners (I'll sort through and take out sizes I don't really need)聽a small screwdriver set (also covers聽hex head and smaller sockets) the ubiquitous mole grips, a lump hammer and聽one of those extending wheel brace tools that I've had for years and actually works. All that lot and more stuff (HiViz, first aid kit, radweld, tyreweld, pump etc) is fitted under the carpet in the boot and that area is just about filled up.聽

The trouble is I'm already thinking about putting the 1/2 inch socket set back in the boot but I know from experience I only really need the ratchet an extension and 3聽maybe 4 of the larger sockets, but which ones? I must have at least聽 2 dozen 1/2 inch sockets that have traveled over a hundred thousand miles and never been used.

Something to change a wheel, a can of WD40, and a roll of gaffer tape, & some cable ties - all you need LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pointless carrying around anything other than a wheel brace and jack imo. Unless you're also carrying around a Euro Car Parts store, you're still pretty stranded.聽

Sure you can remove that seized alternator, knackered aux belt聽or leaky water pump, but you've no spare parts聽to replace it with so what's the point? Same with jubilee clips for rubber hoses that may pop off. Unless you're also hauling a few litres of coolant around with you too, it's a waste of time.

The only other tool you could argue you *might* need is a screwdriver to remove the headlights in case a bulb goes and you have to get one from Halfords to聽fit it in a dark聽car park.

• Like 2

Disposable gloves (it's always raining when I get a puncture). Extending wheel brace. Fuses. Tyre pressure gauge. Rapstraps (reusable cable ties)

• Like 1

My Clarke jump-starter 4000 聽rescued me a couple of times Always take聽a 19mm socket and extended bar, jack and tyre inflator.A torch聽is always a聽good idea but having said that there's one on the jump-starter ha ha.Hi-vis vest or coat is essential.Other than that it's a call to the break-down services for me馃憤

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Other than that it's a call to the break-down services for me馃憤

Being an old ***** as I am, that's sound advice LOL My days of carrying a boot full of crap, 'just in case' are long behind me.

• Like 1

Jumper cables.

Electric tyre inflator.

That's pretty much it!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Being an old ***** as I am, that's sound advice LOL My days of carrying a boot full of crap, 'just in case' are long behind me.

if i carried the 'just in case' crap i wouldn't聽have room for聽all the other useless crap.Yeah i know i'm not making sense馃憤

• Like 2

As well as some of the above and a shovel and wellies until the last chance of snow, I also carry one of the puncture repair kits that work from the outside because I was once in a car that had a second puncture during the same journey.

Those kits do work very well but I don't think they are legal for public highway use.

4 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Unless you're also hauling a few litres of coolant around with you too, it's a waste of time.

I carry ten litres with me lol

6 minutes ago, m50e30 said:

I carry ten litres with me lol

Actually,I forgot about that LOL Since my heater matrix dramatically went last year on me, I carry a 2 liter bottle in the boot - just in case! 馃槀

• Like 1