Do Not Sell My Personal Information

power loss and limp mode

mickahayes1980

hi I have a 56 plate 2.0L tdci focus, a few times now ive been driving all at different speeds and randomly the power has gone, the engine is still running but the accelerator does nothing so i roll for a bit with my clutch in and it just ticks over then usually after about 5 seconds it just goes back to normal and runs fine. There is no warning to this happening and I have no idea. I had another problem last night when i gave it a bit of welly and it went into limp mode so managed to get home like it and then when i turned the engine off and on again it was fine. Can anyone help me with this as im not mechanically minded and have no idea?

it might be a blocked fuel filter but it is not definitely that.

3 hours ago, mickahayes1980 said:

hi I have a 56 plate 2.0L tdci focus, a few times now ive been driving all at different speeds and randomly the power has gone, the engine is still running but the accelerator does nothing so i roll for a bit with my clutch in and it just ticks over then usually after about 5 seconds it just goes back to normal and runs fine. There is no warning to this happening and I have no idea. I had another problem last night when i gave it a bit of welly and it went into limp mode so managed to get home like it and then when i turned the engine off and on again it was fine. Can anyone help me with this as im not mechanically minded and have no idea?

If i was in this situation the fuel filter would be my first thought.Being a 56 plate and relatively old are you running your fuel tank low before filling?Could of picked up some unwanted debris in the fuel line👍

Camshaft sensor? That often shows those sort of symptoms. But also with trouble starting the car too. Best bet is to get the car read for any codes.

Could be the fuel pump beginning to fail. If the car starts ok and drives ok but randomly cuts out the brushes on the pump might be worn out. Also check the pump relay is pressed in and not loose. 

I've had this recently on a trip to and from Sheffield, same thing but on the last restart near home it kept the low power and turbo was basically off or all over the shop - Turned out to be a clogged MAF sensor. Quick n cheap to check, but that threw mine in to the same sort of limp mode with no more go.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club