Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 99bhp cam belt change?

Miowmixed1976

When should i change my cambelt?

I have a 2013 ecoboost on 50,000 mile.

10 years or 150k miles. Massive job to do it (most likely engine out) etc.

• Like 1

Cambelt can be done with engine in but as Luke already said, its a big job . Just under 8 hrs to do. 

Luckily it's not required until 150k 

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Cambelt can be done with engine in but as Luke already said, its a big job . Just under 8 hrs to do. 

Noticed on the Ford website it quotes a price of £540 to change the belt and water pump which seems a low price for what I've seen about the job. Is that price still correct? 

Repairs
Ka, Fiesta,
Fusion, B-MAX, EcoSport (Recommended Retail Price)
Focus,
C-MAX
(Recommended Retail Price)
Mondeo, 
Kuga
S-MAX,
Galaxy

Transit / Tourneo Connect (Recommended Retail Price)
Transit
Replace timing belt £475 £459 £349 £399 £519 N/A
Replace timing belt and water pump £540 £555 £449 £499 N/A N/A

That surprises me Roger.   I had a look at what had to be done to replace the belt and pump and I think £540 is quite reasonable.   Are Ford dealers bound by that price?

1 hour ago, Bobr said:

That surprises me Roger.

Yes, it's about what VW for example quote for the same job on a Golf. From what I'd heard I expected it to be more.

would seem strange for it to be same price on fiesta 1.5tdci and ecoboost as a lot less work on the 1.5tdci compared to ecoboost I reckon.

exclusions:

Replace Timing Belt

• Focus (2011-2015) 1.0 ECOBOOST

• C-MAX (2010-2015) 1.0 ECOBOOST

• B-MAX (2012 onwards) 1.0 ECOBOOST

• Mondeo (2014 onwards) 1.0 ECOBOOST

• Fiesta (2012 onwards) 1.0 DURATEC

• ALL 1.8L Duratorq- TDCI – Lynx engines Replace

Timing Belt and Water Pump

• ALL 1.8L Duratorq- TDCI – Lynx engines

7 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Ah, so what is the price for a 1.0?

Probably double, but at least the water pump won't need doing as that's no where near the cambelt .lol 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, iantt said:

Probably double, but at least the water pump won't need doing as that's no where near the cambelt .lol 

Thanks Ian. That sounds a bit more like it for what's involved! Very hard to find the info on official Ford sites - that's probably why!😀 

Yeah, I should have suspected the figures I mentioned earlier from the mention of the pump! 😀

So would a ford 10 year service with everything else needed be beyond economic value for a 10 year old fiesta?

I wouldn't let the car go 10 years or 150 000 miles before changing the timing belt. Maybe 8 years or 100 000 miles more like. I've heard about timing belt fibers blocking oil pump mesh way before the belt change was due. Also Haynes manual for Fiesta 2013-2017 suggest to change earlier than 10 years/150000 miles. Don't remember when though 🙂 maybe 8 years or 100 000 miles.

The belt change costs about 1000-1200 € in Finland so I'd assume it's close to 800-1200 pounds in UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjay1 said:

So would a ford 10 year service with everything else needed be beyond economic value for a 10 year old fiesta?

It's an interesting question. I suppose in the grand scheme of things your total cambelt replacement costs over a 10 year period would be similar to a "normal" engine which might have had a change at 4 or 5 years and be ready for a second at 10. But £1,000+ is a big hit in one go on a 10 year old car. The first ecoboosts are coming up to 8 years old, so the canny buyer would be looking for evidence of a cambelt replacement or the price reflecting that it shortly needs doing. Not everyone will be aware of course.

44 minutes ago, Jeipii said:

Also Haynes manual for Fiesta 2013-2017 suggest to change earlier than 10 years/150000 miles. Don't remember when though 🙂 maybe 8 years or 100 000 miles.

Yes, I remember seeing that recommendation too. If you do decide to stick with Ford's recommendation and assuming you have a full dealer service history, I wonder what Ford's attitude would be if it fails at 9 years?

If cam belt change affects the car value by a lot then people will be faking the evidence. Very easy to do. 

the dealer here in Egypt recommends changing the timing belt for the 1.0 ecoboost at 140k km , that's about 87k miles , they told that those are FORD instructions for my country !!

On 2/26/2020 at 3:55 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

It's an interesting question. I suppose in the grand scheme of things your total cambelt replacement costs over a 10 year period would be similar to a "normal" engine which might have had a change at 4 or 5 years and be ready for a second at 10. But £1,000+ is a big hit in one go on a 10 year old car. The first ecoboosts are coming up to 8 years old, so the canny buyer would be looking for evidence of a cambelt replacement or the price reflecting that it shortly needs doing. Not everyone will be aware of course.

Yes, I remember seeing that recommendation too. If you do decide to stick with Ford's recommendation and assuming you have a full dealer service history, I wonder what Ford's attitude would be if it fails at 9 years?

In Finland if the engine would go boom before 10 years/150 000 miles the car dealer that sold the car would need to replace the engine, but the owner would probably need to pay some part of the bill because the car gets into better shape than it normally would be if it got a new engine.

• 3 months later...

so my belt just snapped on mine. 2014 1.0L ecoboost with 130,000km. just a heads up for you guys.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

My 1.0 ecoboost cam belt snapped on 57000 miles  i contacted fords and they said take no notice to manual

Ford recommends checking, measuring and replacing the valve tappets at 125,000 miles so why the cambelt isn't done at the same time is stupid. That means in another 25,000 miles your engine has to be stripped apart all over again for the belt! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club