Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whining/whistling when driving

Juicetastic09

Yesterday on my way to work I noticed a noise. It sounds almost like wind whistling on the left hand side of the car. If I push the clutch down it stops. If I knock the car into neutral it stops. If I take my foot off the accelerator sometimes it will stop, or it will lessen but it always comes back again. You can just about hear it in the video link. This was on my way home with the windows closed and it is louder when you're actually in the car. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing it? The car had new front pads and discs before I bought it and the brakes do squeak slightly when I stop. It doesn't happen when stationary ticking over and it's more noticeable the faster I go, you can just about hear it at lower speeds although I'm obviously listening for it now. Sorry, forgot to add, it's the focus 1.6 zetec 2012 🤦‍♀️

It will be the clutch release bearing. Try not to drive resting on the clutch. Mines is the same.

5 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

It will be the clutch release bearing. Try not to drive resting on the clutch. Mines is the same.

Would it not make a noise right from where I start off? When stationary if I press the clutch I cant hear anything, it's only when moving and worse at speed, it's also really irritating.  I don't rest on the clutch when I'm driving so no worries there. 🙂

On that note the first description seemed like what I had. You said new brakes were installed and they squeak that's down to no lube on the backing plates. Although some pads are good enough to come with shims to stop that so the pads may be cheap. If the sound is on rotation then it's either a warped disk, stone stuck in the brakes or the wheel bearing is on its way out. Check for changes in sound when turning left and right especially going around circles which could indicate a wheel bearing. The first one that went out on mines was drivers side although it seemed like it was the passenger side. Also check all intake pipes for splits they are known to whistle and also make sure the windows are fully closed.

• 3 years later...
On 2/26/2020 at 6:55 AM, Juicetastic09 said:

Yesterday on my way to work I noticed a noise. It sounds almost like wind whistling on the left hand side of the car. If I push the clutch down it stops. If I knock the car into neutral it stops. If I take my foot off the accelerator sometimes it will stop, or it will lessen but it always comes back again. You can just about hear it in the video link. This was on my way home with the windows closed and it is louder when you're actually in the car. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing it? The car had new front pads and discs before I bought it and the brakes do squeak slightly when I stop. It doesn't happen when stationary ticking over and it's more noticeable the faster I go, you can just about hear it at lower speeds although I'm obviously listening for it now. Sorry, forgot to add, it's the focus 1.6 zetec 2012 🤦‍♀️

was this ever fixed

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club