Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best tyres for Fiesta Red Edition

Matt Alsop

Hi, I need to replace the original Continental tyres on my 2017 Red Edition and I'm inclined not to buy the same brand as I've had two tyres go "out of shape" (like a structural failure) for some reason where I've not known how or why it happened. I used to buy Michelin Pilot for previous cars and wondered if they could be the best option on the Fiesta Red Edition ? I do mostly motorway driving (14,000 miles a year) and of course it's often wet so I basically want the best tyres for wet British roads. Any suggestions from your own experience ?

Matt,

I've got the Black Edition. Out of interest, how long did your Continental SportContact 5 tyres last? I had mine on for 32k miles - despite my driving style - and only had to replace the two rears due to nails in the tyres/unable to repair. I suspect I'd have got about 40k miles out of the whole set before it got down to 2mm tread.

Replaced the two rears in August 2019 as soon as discovered due to needing to drive 200 miles that day - fitted with Pirelli P-Zeros. Not that impressed with them due to wearing roughly 1mm in 3 months, despite being rear tyres on a FWD hatch.

Replaced the original two front tyres in October 2019 for Michelin PS4. Cracking tyres in the dry and wet; grip levels subjectively went up; less wheelspin when pulling away/turning whilst applying full power. Supposedly has better wear than all competitors, so I'm hoping for 40k miles out of these. Spend the extra few quid per corner on PS4 tyres and you will notice the difference every time you drive. Camskill are usually the cheapest for me - may be for you too, if you can find a decent tyre fitter which will fit tyres bought elsewhere. Just my 2p worth.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your superb detailed message. It is the Michelin PS4 I was thinking of buying. They seem to be about £100 per corner fully fitted although I know Michelin have discount offers sometimes such as £25 off two or £50 off four.

The Continental tyres have lasted 25,000 miles at the moment but I'm having to change two due to the structural problems on the tread near the inside side walls. The two that are out of shape are making a drumming noise on the road at certain speeds. I still have about 4mm of tread left on all four of them. I'll probably buy two new tyres now to replace the "damaged" ones and keep the other two on the rear until they wear out. I suspect if they'd lasted until the tread had worn down to the limit then about 35,000 miles or more would have been possible. When I've bought Michelins on other cars they have always lasted 35,0000 miles minimum if I switch them around front to back half way through to get even wear on all four.

I have currently got a 2019 MK8 ST-Line 140 which comes with Michelin PS4's they are very good in my opinion.

Though having said that my previous car was a MK7.5 ST-Line 140 which is essentially the same as the Red edition and that was On Continental Sport contact 5's which were also an excellent tyre in my experience. I can't really say if the PS4 is better than the Conti as the differences I feel may be more down to the differences between the MK7.5 and MK8 Fiestas handling characteristics

I can't say I had any problem with the Contis though they were still on 4.5 mm of tread on the fronts after 30,000 miles and 5.5 on the rears.

Matt,

I think Camskill have that promotion on via Michelin at the moment - you can't really go wrong with Michelin, nor the PS4.

Do you have pictures of the damaged tyres? Would be interesting to see what has happened, and potential causes.

My advice would be to go for PS4's - and to put the newer tyres on the rear, or you'll notice the back end trying to swap round on you as new PS4's have a shed load of grip, compared to worn CSC5's.

Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, Blatto said:

I have currently got a 2019 MK8 ST-Line 140 which comes with Michelin PS4's they are very good in my opinion.

Though having said that my previous car was a MK7.5 ST-Line 140 which is essentially the same as the Red edition and that was On Continental Sport contact 5's which were also an excellent tyre in my experience. I can't really say if the PS4 is better than the Conti as the differences I feel may be more down to the differences between the MK7.5 and MK8 Fiestas handling characteristics

I can't say I had any problem with the Contis though they were still on 4.5 mm of tread on the fronts after 30,000 miles and 5.5 on the rears.

That's a very good wear rate for the mileage! What type of driving do you do?

I can say via direct comparison that the Michelin PS4's on the front of my car are even better than the very good CSC5's. I've found the wet grip is very markedly superior to the CSC5's too. Once the rear Pirelli's wear out, I'll be replacing them with PS4's.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I'll get the PS4's then. Thanks for the details of the promotion.

I'll try and take a photo of the problem I have sometime but it may be difficult. I can feel the flatter areas on the tread area but it's not that obvious to see. The side walls look ok. Almost looks like something has "punched" a dent into the tread. I can only imagine it's from pot holes. One of them is a rear tyre and of course there isn't much load / weight on it.

6 hours ago, Matt Alsop said:

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I'll get the PS4's then. Thanks for the details of the promotion.

I'll try and take a photo of the problem I have sometime but it may be difficult. I can feel the flatter areas on the tread area but it's not that obvious to see. The side walls look ok. Almost looks like something has "punched" a dent into the tread. I can only imagine it's from pot holes. One of them is a rear tyre and of course there isn't much load / weight on it.

That does sound odd. Do you have vibration through the steering wheel at/above certain speeds? I'd be very surprised if the pot holes have caused tyre damage as you say, without cracking or bending the wheels too.

I wouldn't like to damage these wheels - they're lovely but also expensive at c.£230ish per wheel!

No vibration through the steering. It sounds like a drumming noise which varies by wheel speed and road surface. I took one wheel off and it took me several minutes of feeling the tread surface by hand before I discovered the areas where the tread is dented / flat. I measured the wheels as best as possible and they seem fine.

21 hours ago, craigjoshuamuscat said:

That's a very good wear rate for the mileage! What type of driving do you do?

I'm mostly about 65-70% motorways on my daily 64 mile commute which will contribute quite a bit to my tyre wear rate.

But I'm also very light on the brakes which will also help with the tyre wear. I can sometimes do the whole journey with only using the brakes when the traffic is stopped at junctions/roundabouts, traffic lights etc..  and parking at the journeys end of course. If you drive leaving sufficient gaps for safety and drive with good anticipation you get the benefit of low tyre/brake wear and better fuel economy. When I took my previous 2016 MK7.5 ST-Line 140  for it's last service at 3 years they noted down that brake pad wear was  at 10% with about 30,000 miles on the clock.

Not sure how accurate that assesment was but based on that I'd be getting well over 250,000 miles from a set of pads.

Another vote for Michelin PS4's here on an ST. I've had mine on since the beginning of December 2018 but I'm not sure how many miles I've done on them yet.

I did have 3 Hankook Ventus tyres for about 8 months but had to replace one due to side wall damage and decided to go for the PS4's and store the 2 remaining Hankook's as spares. The grip in the PS4's in the last few weeks poor weather has been good. I'm due to have the car serviced & MOT'd next week so will report back on the tread wear.

8 hours ago, Matt Alsop said:

No vibration through the steering. It sounds like a drumming noise which varies by wheel speed and road surface. I took one wheel off and it took me several minutes of feeling the tread surface by hand before I discovered the areas where the tread is dented / flat. I measured the wheels as best as possible and they seem fine.

That sounds strange. I hope you find the PS4's a real step up.

3 hours ago, Blatto said:

I'm mostly about 65-70% motorways on my daily 64 mile commute which will contribute quite a bit to my tyre wear rate.

But I'm also very light on the brakes which will also help with the tyre wear. I can sometimes do the whole journey with only using the brakes when the traffic is stopped at junctions/roundabouts, traffic lights etc..  and parking at the journeys end of course. If you drive leaving sufficient gaps for safety and drive with good anticipation you get the benefit of low tyre/brake wear and better fuel economy. When I took my previous 2016 MK7.5 ST-Line 140  for it's last service at 3 years they noted down that brake pad wear was  at 10% with about 30,000 miles on the clock.

Not sure how accurate that assesment was but based on that I'd be getting well over 250,000 miles from a set of pads.

Christ, that's some going! I bet your average mpg is high 40-mid 50's? My typical commute involves 20-25 or so braking events, unless it's quiet (rarely) or light sequence falls my way (rarely).

I've just ticked over 42k miles and the brakes are squeaking a little - I'm wondering what to replace them with (need to check whether just pads of discs and pads), as I'm keen to move away from the stock pads; possibly onto Mintex M144 pads. Also the warranty/my local Ford dealer don't inspire confidence when it comes to knowing warranty stipulations.

Do any of you guys have experience with non-stock discs or pads?