Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buzzing from dash under push start button

F Gillan

Hi 

Can anyone tell me what would make a fan vibration noise on a Ford Focus titanium 2018 plate. Bought the car 6 months ago and it intermittently does this noise. I thought it was maybe an engine fan after a long journey as that’s the first time it happened but it now does it on small local ones. When you put the fan system off it still makes the noise, even when the engine is switched off. It will disappear though.

if looking at the steering wheel, the  engine push button is to the left. If you put your hand flat against dash on the moulded bit UNDER this piece ie you will feel the join then moving hand down in direct to floor you can feel a wee air vent. This area here the buzzing/vibration noise and feeling is coming from.

anyone experienced this or know what’s behind that panel please 

That's a temperature sensor for the drivers side of the dual zone climate control.  Sometimes they get dusty and need cleaning out, depends how loud the noise is though.

• Thanks 1

Just to add, it has a little fan in it, to draw air across the humidity/temperature sensors, which is why it makes a noise.

In early Mk3s (my 2012 did it), it could move a bit and rest against the inside of the plastic trim and vibrate, but I think they fixed that in later cars.

• Like 1

I’m sensitive to sound so to some it may not be loud but it’s slightly noisier than a desk fan. Thanks for your help though I’ll look into getting it cleaned.

have a good day 

• 3 years later...

I bought my 2017 focus 2 days ago and am also having this infuriating issue. I read on another forum that somebody said they reached in and there was a small fan dangling loose touching the plastic, they moved it and it stopped. I can't for the life of me work out exactly where this fan is or how to reach it. I can see the same vent you describe but when I reach my fingers in it doesn't feel at all like a fan and it didn't stop the noise.

Did you manage to resolve yours? Considering going back to the dealer as i have a 3 month warranty but it's a 2hr round trip for a small thing so I was hoping there would be an easy DIY fix

You wont be able to feel the fan as its inside the "module".

https://shop.ford.co.uk/products/c-max-focus-connect-kuga-heater-temperature-control-sensor?variant=40406263562309&gclid=CjwKCAjwv8qkBhAnEiwAkY-ahu28Qe4uwfqnfQEApzwg5pkMo3E_ewwF2JQqiwC7Uul4r9OPMEuQuBoCIEsQAvD_BwE

We had the same issue in our old S-Max.  I tried cleaning and lubricating it but within a few weeks it was buzzing again so I replaced it.

On 6/21/2023 at 8:20 AM, AlanC2 said:

You wont be able to feel the fan as its inside the "module".

https://shop.ford.co.uk/products/c-max-focus-connect-kuga-heater-temperature-control-sensor?variant=40406263562309&gclid=CjwKCAjwv8qkBhAnEiwAkY-ahu28Qe4uwfqnfQEApzwg5pkMo3E_ewwF2JQqiwC7Uul4r9OPMEuQuBoCIEsQAvD_BwE

We had the same issue in our old S-Max.  I tried cleaning and lubricating it but within a few weeks it was buzzing again so I replaced it.

Thanks, that's helpful. I will contact the dealer and ask them to look at it. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club