Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cambelt or Chain?

Rundle123

Hi recently I wanted to check if my cars cam belt needed changing so I went online had a look at some info and there was a company who if you gibs your reg and all other details would say when to change it etc, they replied saying that I don’t have a cambelt I have a chain? My car is a 2013 Ford Fiesta Zetec I thought it seemed a bit odd does anyone have the same car know if it is a chain or belt?

Thanks

Would help if we knew what engine it was haha.

Pretty sure all Fiestas are belt driven though. The interval is usually 10 years or 100k miles. Not many cars that need doing after 7 so no need to worry yet.

17 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Not many cars that need doing after 7 so no need to worry yet.

Unless you own a VW...they seem to think a belt will only last 2 oil changes... :unsure:

26 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Unless you own a VW...they seem to think a belt will only last 2 oil changes... :unsure:

That's exactly who I was thinking of haha

2 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Would help if we knew what engine it was haha.

Pretty sure all Fiestas are belt driven though. The interval is usually 10 years or 100k miles. Not many cars that need doing after 7 so no need to worry yet.

It’s a 1.25 Petrol, I think it’s belt driven but was just a little confused when I was told it was chain by guy who emailed me, I’ve only had the car since mid last year and it hadn’t come with any service history so something I might do soon just for peace of mind

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

VW/VAG diesels are normally recommended every 60k miles or 4 years. I changed mine every 5 years/ 50k miles.

As far as I can see, the 1.25 is a 16v twin cam Ford Duratec engine which is belt driven.

1 hour ago, Rundle123 said:

it hadn’t come with any service history so something I might do soon just for peace of mind

The 1.2 is definitely belt driven.

I mean it's 3 years too early, and the lack of service history will make no difference in terms of shortening the lifespan of the belt. Each to their own I suppose.

8 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

The 1.2 is definitely belt driven.

I mean it's 3 years too early, and the lack of service history will make no difference in terms of shortening the lifespan of the belt. Each to their own I suppose.

Well that thread says 8 years seems to be more the new interval Ford are saying so I’m only a year off so I’m pretty close anyway. No point risking it.

12 hours ago, Jim H said:

VW/VAG diesels are normally recommended every 60k miles or 4 years. I changed mine every 5 years/ 50k miles.

Yep, 2 years for Longlife oil changes but only 4 years for a belt!! :laugh:  Tbf they did increase it to 5 years on the later TDI's but it still seems very early.  No-one can tell me why it should be so much shorter than a typical PSA diesel which is around 10 years either! :unsure:  

Also, just to keep on topic, the 1.25 is definitely a belt and the recommended interval on the Mk7.5 is 100k or 8 years.  The waterpump isn't driven by the cambelt so it's your choice whether you have that changed at the same time or not. :smile: 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Also, just to keep on topic, the 1.25 is definitely a belt and the recommended interval on the Mk7.5 is 100k or 8 years.  The waterpump isn't driven by the cambelt so it's your choice whether you have that changed at the same time or not. :smile: 

Oh that’s interesting to know, that would save a bit of cash then, thanks for your help. Hopefully get it done by the end of the year.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club