Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car battery MK8

tef89

Before you buy the battery, open the bonnet and with a tape measure, get the dimensions of the existing battery, make sure it is the same as the one you choose.  I'm glad I did when I ordered one for my Brother's Mk6 Fiesta, one of the recommended ones wouldn't have fitted!

• Like 1

Yeah I'll definitely measure mine just to be certain.

Still struggling to find one with the same 60 Ah.  Even online doesn't give me a straight answer on if it's OK to use a larger Ah scored one or not.

Nothing in the owner's manual either.

Anyone know for sure ?  I read somewhere saying try to keep it to within 10%+.

All of the batteries I've bought in the past have better Capacity and CCA than OEM. As long as the dimensions are the same and it's a EFB type (for Start/stop), it should be OK.

• Thanks 1

I usually read that it's no problem to use an higher-capacity battery than the stock one. My only concern is about the weight, but...I don't think that 2 or 3 kgs  change something. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tef89 said:

Yeah I'll definitely measure mine just to be certain.

Still struggling to find one with the same 60 Ah.  Even online doesn't give me a straight answer on if it's OK to use a larger Ah scored one or not.

Nothing in the owner's manual either.

Anyone know for sure ?  I read somewhere saying try to keep it to within 10%+.

Good morning the higher the Ah in theory means more energy storage capacity and all things being equal more running time.Also has pointed out in an earlier post a batteries dimensions should be the same as an OEM battery.I think that is common-sense to be honest but a common mistake to make 😊This is my understanding👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  Does anyone know if I went for an EFB battery like my OEM one (albeit with larger Ah and CCA values) does that need anything special in terms of config with the car, or is a straight swap ?

My local trusted garage is quoting me around 180 pounds for a replacement 'original' battery, but if it's a plug and play situation I'd rather pick one up online and save about 50-80 quid.

2 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Thanks.  Does anyone know if I went for an EFB battery like my OEM one (albeit with larger Ah and CCA values) does that need anything special in terms of config with the car, or is a straight swap ?

My local trusted garage is quoting me around 180 pounds for a replacement 'original' battery, but if it's a plug and play situation I'd rather pick one up online and save about 50-80 quid.

From what I read, nope, you have just to reset the BMS  after changing the battery, but you have to do it anyway, either if it's a new-oem battery or a higher one.

Bms usually read automatically voltages, capacity of the battery, and things like that. The important things is to wait 8 hours after you change it/reset bms/ recharge the battery in order to let BMS learn the new situation about the battery. In fact, when I replaced my battery with a new one (100% charged) the first day S&S just didn't work, but the day after...was all fine.

• Thanks 1

Cool, thanks Elio.  So get new EFB battery, do the in car control combo, wait 8 hours, S&S may take a day or so.

Probably gonna pick a 70Ah / 720 CCA one up from Tanya once I've manually confirmed my OEM battery dimensions.

50 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Cool, thanks Elio.  So get new EFB battery, do the in car control combo, wait 8 hours, S&S may take a day or so.

Probably gonna pick a 70Ah / 720 CCA one up from Tanya once I've manually confirmed my OEM battery dimensions.

Code 100 = 278l x 175w x 175h  Code 096 = 278l x 175w x 190h You probably know already but i can't help myself.Terminal pattern has to be looked at as well 👍

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Code 100= 278l x 175w x 175h  Code 096 = 278l x 175w x 190h You probably know already but i can't help myself.Terminal pattern has to be looked as well 👍

I'm thinking if I have got to do the BMS reset regardless I my as well re-consider an AGM as well:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/ek700/

It's a bit weird that there doesn't seem to be a single 60Ah & 190mm (h) anywhere to match the OEM.  I've looked on Halfrauds, ECP, and Tayna.

1 minute ago, tef89 said:

I'm thinking if I have got to do the BMS reset regardless I my as well re-consider an AGM as well:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/ek700/

It's a bit weird that there doesn't seem to be a single 60Ah & 190mm (h) anywhere to match the OEM.  I've looked on Halfrauds, ECP, Amazon anf Tayna.

so your OEM battery is code 096 ?

2 minutes ago, williamweb said:

so your OEM battery is code 096 ?

No idea lol, all I have is this...

(not checked dimensions yet)

Capture.JPG

i know i did look at that but it drew a blank😏

If you don't know then like you said the tape measure is going to have to come out👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, williamweb said:

If you don't know then like you said the tape measure is going to have to come out👍

Agreed. I was kind of going by Elio's sizing for his MK8 but until I drag myself outside and measure it I won't buy anything.

I did find one that matches the Ah but the length on it is slightly different - 242mm rather than 278mm

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/el600/

I'm gonna buy a moped instead 😄

6 minutes ago, tef89 said:

No idea lol, all I have is this...

(not checked dimensions yet)

Capture.JPG

until you know the code you can't source a higher spec battery👍

until you know the code you can't source a higher spec battery👍

I thought I just needed the correct dimensions and pick one in the region of (but not below) the spec of the OEM ?

Why is the 'code' important ?

3 minutes ago, tef89 said:

I thought I just needed the correct dimensions and pick one in the region of (but not below) the spec of the OEM ?

Why is the 'code' important ?

The code are the dimensions😁

• Haha 1

The code is the dimensions😁

Phew... Thank god.  I thought there was another variable I need to include.

Appreciate the help m8 - I'm 48 been driving for 27 years and the last battery I changed ws 20 years ago in my Rover 214SLi ... Things have moved on 😲🤣

27 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Phew... Thank god.  I thought there was another variable I need to include.

Appreciate the help m8 - I'm 48 been driving for 27 years and the last battery I changed ws 20 years ago in my Rover 214SLi ... Things have moved on 😲🤣

battery codes certainly haven't moved on😂 they are British standard👍      But you might be right ha ha 

Edited by williamweb

18 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Battery codes certainly haven't moved on😂 they are British standard👍

Maybe not but AGM, EFB, BMS etc etc are all new to me 😃

Last time I bought a battery I went into the local Motorpart  shop, told em my car and walked out with one.

4 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Last time I bought a battery I went into the local Motorpart  shop, told em my car and walked out with one.

i love simple👍

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tef89 said:

Off topic but i'm dredging buying another car.There is no way i'll be able to properly understand what i'm buying ha ha

• Haha 1

Heeem...you're right, an OEM battery with mk8 dimension and specification just doesn't exist ahaha. There are just 60ah/600 or 650 with 175cm, or 70/75ah with 190cm. It's..strange, but that's it. 

You have to buy a battery with the same dimension, because the battery box in the MK8 is a little bit strange, if it's shorter can be dangerous and also positive connectors just don't fit. 

"Unfortunately" I replaced my ford battery with the same ford battery, but I measured its height and definitely it's not 175cm, because I compared it with a 175cm battery and it's just highest, so I guess it's 190cm, because the difference is not so much (as you can see in the pic I attached yesterday).

By the way..I was looking to two batteries from Yuasa, theoretically one of best brand:

- EFB https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx7096/

- AGM https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx9096/

I would go with the agm, because last longer, it's more secure because it has no free acid inside. But I didn't heard of someone who did that, so I don't know if everything would be fine. Theoretically yes, but..in practice it could be different, and anyway, I think it is a bit oversized for a fiesta MK8 ahaha. Not in dimension, but as characteristics. AGM are usually installed on advanced start stop systems or car which recharge the battery with braking energy. But it's also true that with the cost of the original ford battery you can buy the non-ford-motorcraft AGM battery...so, why not?

• Like 1

Lol all this is making me think if/when I need a new battery I'm just gonna let the dealer do it!  But knowing what I'm like I'll probably get a whole new car to go with it as well!😀

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club