Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USB Problem

Jeter

I was listening to some music on a USB stick (using Sync 3 with 2019 Ford Focus Titanium). I went into a shop and when I got back into the car the display said “The device is not available”. A second USB stick was working ok. I tried a couple of times on the way home to get it to work i.e. removing and replacing it but by the time I got home it was still not available.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be please? Thanks

• Sad 1

OK thanks. I did do a search before I posted but I didn’t have the patience to go through 90 pages of topics. My bad and I apologise for wasting time. Thanks again.

• Like 1

I was going to prove how easy it was using google.... as search here is a few light years off the pace, but it let me down !!

so determined to prove google incompetent ??? 

WTF   its your own post !!!!

update to current software

try another device

stop wasting people's time,

if its really broken take it to a garage under warranty

23 minutes ago, Jeter said:

I was listening to some music on a USB stick (using Sync 3 with 2019 Ford Focus Titanium). I went into a shop and when I got back into the car the display said “The device is not available”. A second USB stick was working ok. I tried a couple of times on the way home to get it to work i.e. removing and replacing it but by the time I got home it was still not available.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be please? Thanks

Sometimes this can happen. Synch sometimes doesn’t see a device. I found that when it decided to do this with my iPod or usb stick it would help to let the whole car and Synch reset itself. Turn off ignition and leave it to reboot. Might take a little while. And then they would work again. It’s worth a try. Especially if your usb stick works in other devices. Hope you get it sorted 😃

I’m sorry I seem to have touched a nerve.

My original post was about using a USB stick (which I hadn't done before - I’m 65) and after I was reassured about the usage and the thread disappeared down a flac is better than mp3 hole I stopped checking the thread.

I do have a second USB stick connected which is working ok (as I mentioned).

I did apologise for wasting time but as it seems you won’t be happy until I don sack cloth and ashes I’ll wish you a good night.

not sure if you got to the end of your original post.... I had said USB sticks often struggle, then a load said they work well on Ford's... than more came back with, no they don't.  Around the same time on another forum same issue with a third car brand that can't cope with a USB stick either

USB sticks are meant for powerful computers usually talking Microsoft's way.  Whereas many car's sophisticated electronics operate using a more basic, candle and whim attitude.  The idea in the case of a USB stick is the car "hopes" to index what's on the device to quickly retrieve the info, so it can, list what's there, navigate around the tracks and play successfully.... but it doesn't seem to work.  With the car and the device frequently getting in a muddle arguing over the "index".  About this time the owner comes along and pulls the stick out or the journey ends.  Often trying a new stick means the car creates a new index and it works for a bit, till it misplaces where the index is / gets corrupted because its raining in Florida or something equally vital.

The file structure of exactly the same information on a phone or an ipod is set up very differently and the car usually copes reliably....

as I wrote before...

I had a BM with USB connection and it couldn't cope with a USB stick, but the ipod was perfect (same audio files on both the stick and an ipod) , after 5 seconds from turning the key the ipod always works with no menu navigation lag, no bugs, no silliness.  

the stick would randomly behave ….  (64 gig usb 2 with 55 gig on music data on it) on its best behaviour, if on the USB input, it always played straight away but you had no ability to change tracks for the first 20 seconds before the stick and the car got on with life

on its bad days there would be no interaction for up to 20 minutes.  Actually its record was 90 minutes. Other times it be OK in 20 seconds and work for reliably for hours, then stop for petrol and it was game over.   The bigger the stick and the bigger the files, the more it had these random episodes...

The Car was running latest software for everything on the car..... which is certainly something you should check you car has.  Gone are the day of something reliable and it worked for 20 years.  I've heard on the Mk4 focus many owners have had to update the radio software multiple times

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/ford-sync-3-help

38 minutes ago, Jeter said:

I do have a second USB stick connected which is working ok (as I mentioned).

I use bluetooth for my music, I’ve had the same message. Turn audio off and on, if no joy then soft reset..press and hold power button and fast forward at same time ..5 seconds 

45 minutes ago, Jeter said:

using a USB stick (which I hadn't done before - I’m 65)

I’m not far behind you! I’ve never had reason to use a usb stick ! My CD collections gathering dust. Get yourself a music subscription, they all do free trials. bluetooth thru a phone or iPod 

1 hour ago, Botus said:

No need for that. 

One other point: not all USB sticks are created equal. I tend to find cheaper ones are less reliable, whether it's in a car or a PC. Currently I'm using Sandisk Cruzer Fit - tiny, and has never given me any issues.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

One other point: not all USB sticks are created equal. I tend to find cheaper ones are less reliable, whether it's in a car or a PC. Currently I'm using Sandisk Cruzer Fit - tiny, and has never given me any issues.

Yes, I’m using a couple of SanDisk 32GB USB 2.0 Memory Stick USB Flash Pen Drive Cruzer Blade. I have wondered if 32GB might be too large for the audio unit.

Should be fine - 32GB is what I'm using. Sounds like it may be an audio reset, update or back to the dealer. Weird that one works and the other doesn't. Have you tried it with just the one?

40 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

Should be fine - 32GB is what I'm using. Sounds like it may be an audio reset, update or back to the dealer. Weird that one works and the other doesn't. Have you tried it with just the one?

I’ll check it out on Monday. Thanks

31 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

I'm using a 256 Gb SSD stick, boots up hyperfast and no lag when browsing files.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372905240170

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Looks like a nice piece of kit. Thanks

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Botus said:

Any post on this forum is worthy of a read, if you can't contribute, or don't want to be bothered answering - well don't! I'm sure in the past I have wasted quite alot of peoples time LOL

• Like 5

Just a heads-up. Got in the car this morning (Monday) and everything working ok. So thank you to everybody who answered my original post. Much appreciated 👍

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club