Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lost lock nut key

Ianmcd

Hi all. Im a newbie here and im just gonna throw  my question out there.

I have misplaced my locking nut key for my alloy wheels on my 2010 ford focus. Has anyone had any luck in removing lock nuts without the key??

Thanks in advance 

Go to your local garage theyll sort you out, theres a tool to do it properly instead of bodging it with sockets

• Like 1

Try your main dealer, normally in the box the locking nuts come with either the letter or number of the key needed-ebay it its much cheaper. If they are the mcguard type if not a small sharp chisel and a socket. We have done plenty on mondeos, fiesta, focus without damaging the rim in about 1/2hours labour. Dont be overcharged or ripped of

• Like 2

I did this myself years ago it was the security bolts with the spinning collar. I hit a socket over it and it worked. Although it did ruin the socket but was worth it.

Either way A garage shouldn't charge more than 20 quid really.

• Like 1

I was thinking a socket but the outside rim of the lock nut is round so not sure if it would work. I haven't got the code/number of the lock nut key. Tried looking on eBay but couldn't find any similar. Might just have to go the garage route

• Like 1

Any 'KwikFit' type operation will remove this for you - they have proper removal tools! If you have a good working relationship with your local, they may not even charge you if you get your tyres there...

• Thanks 1

Having recently lost the locking wheel nut myself I contacted McGuard directly and had to send a picture of the locking wheel nut, for 26 euros I think got a brand new locking wheel nut sent to me

Hi guys cheers for all the responses.

Tried a 12point socket on the lock nut this morning and it just kept spinning out. After about 20 mins and alot of #@$%€¥%$ i calmed down and had a brainwave. Ended up tack welding a size 17 bolt onto the head of the locknut and with my wheelbrace removed it. Im down 4 locknuts now but at least i know now if i get a puncture over the coming days at least i can get the wheel off 😅

• Like 2

Dont bother replacing your locking wheel nuts, just stick some regular ones one. Unless you have some expensive aftermarket wheels, nobody will bother taking them. They'll just take the whole car instead since it's much easier.

Whenever I have to sort out stuck on locking wheel nuts I nearly always and up air chiseling them off. Welding will just burn the paint off. The ones on my focus were so stuck on the first lock nut broke 2 brand new Ford keys with a long breaker bar and a few more impressioning tools. They eventually came off with the trusty air chisel after lots of fighting.

If your wheel brace got them off then they wouldn't have been that stuck on there haha.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Dont bother replacing your locking wheel nuts, just stick some regular ones one. ..... They'll just take the whole car instead since it's much easier.

I agree, as you can see, I have not got any wheel lock nuts at all, indeed, all the nuts I have are painted on with silver LOL Hey, they were very expensive, those wheel trims cost me £10 for a full set of 4!

47972361_wheeltrims.thumb.jpg.fcbce42227e514e5177c9dd48b22fd74.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club