Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sound system upgrade for focus mk3

Aln

Hi Everyone,

i am looking to upgrade the sound system of my Ford Focus 63 plate. Would like to replace all Speakers, maybe put an amp and change the head unit. Any recommendations on the set up please? Also, is there any head units that support Apple play? thanks in advance 

Fit sync 3 for apple car play. Looks much better than those android units 

Hi Alv

Seems ok for an Android unit on a budget. I don't know enough about the "Tunez" branded audio, I'm presuming it's either a China or Korean built. Just make sure you get all the leads with it, before you buy.

Why do you want to change your stock unit? Is it the poor sound, radio, or lack of music choice/options?

There are lots of head units out there that support Apple Play & Android Auto.

I'm currently sourcing an upgrade on my Mk2.5 Focus, something I've done before, so have all the Banjo tools and wiring extras.

This is the head unit of choice for me;

https://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/nav_mm/carplay/DNX5190DABS/?view=

Replacing this head unit;

https://kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/rec/bluetooth/DPX405BT/

Which I'm either going to donate or sell on.

• Thanks 1

It's pointless replacing all your Speakers for top of the range ones if you're just going to fit a crappy chinese head unit. You'll find the sound quality is no where near as good as the stock unit (even if you use an external amp).

My android unit sounded awful when I put it in (tbh the average Joe probably wouldn't care, but I'm a little bit of an audiophile). I managed to tune the software equalizer so it sounds about the same as the original Sony, but is definitely not as crisp.

Thanks for all suggestions. I have a bigger problem, my car is full of water after heavy rains. I saw that sticky post and checked spare tyre it was full of water. The whole inside of the car even the front is soaked. And I don’t know how to dry it it this weather or even remove the floor. 

8 hours ago, BarryT said:

Hi Alv

Seems ok for an Android unit on a budget. I don't know enough about the "Tunez" branded audio, I'm presuming it's either a China or Korean built. Just make sure you get all the leads with it, before you buy.

Why do you want to change your stock unit? Is it the poor sound, radio, or lack of music choice/options?

I'm currently sourcing an upgrade on my Mk2.5 Focus, something I've done before, so have all the Banjo tools and wiring extras.

I just want to have sat nav and better audio. I’m also replacing Speakers

12 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

Fit sync 3 for apple car play. Looks much better than those android units 

Where do I get one from? How easy are they to fit in?

Just now, Aln said:

Where do I get one from? How easy are they to fit in?

look at the guide on here. a scrap car or eBay. if you keep an eye out you will pick one up cheapish

11 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

It's pointless replacing all your speakers for top of the range ones if you're just going to fit a crappy chinese head unit. You'll find the sound quality is no where near as good as the stock unit (even if you use an external amp).

My android unit sounded awful when I put it in (tbh the average Joe probably wouldn't care, but I'm a little bit of an audiophile). I managed to tune the software equalizer so it sounds about the same as the original Sony, but is definitely not as crisp.

Thanks for the advise. Would you say it’s better to replace with sync 3 fit an amp and replace Speakers? Would amp like this work?

Alpine KTP-445 Head Unit In Line Power Amplifier https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DL0N7TC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UEcxEb0YYJM1X

1 minute ago, Aln said:

Thanks for the advise. Would you say it’s better to replace with sync 3 fit an amp and replace speakers? Would amp like this work?

Alpine KTP-445 Head Unit In Line Power Amplifier https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DL0N7TC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UEcxEb0YYJM1X

not sure on fitting an amp i had the sony system originally and think thats good enough. sync 3 is much better than a bad android unit.

5 minutes ago, Tommo17 said:

look at the guide on here. a scrap car or ebay. if you keep an eye out you will pick one up cheapish

Is it a case of plug and play? Does it have same plugs as my old (sync 1 I assume)?

1 minute ago, Aln said:

Is it a case of plug and play? Does it have same plugs as my old (sync 1 I assume)?

no not plug and play check the guide at the top of this section Focus forum

11 minutes ago, Tommo17 said:

no not plug and play check the guide at the top of this section Focus forum

Will try to find it thanks. What would you say is a reasonable price?

4 minutes ago, Aln said:

Will try to find it thanks. What would you say is a reasonable price?

its at the top of this section sync 2 8 inch upgrade. 
depends if you really want it and what your willing to spend.. where you from ?

8 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

its at the top of this section sync 2 8 inch upgrade. 
depends if you really want it and what your willing to spend.. where you from ?

Uk. Checked eBay and sync 3 is going for £300

On 3/1/2020 at 9:21 AM, BarryT said:

Hi Alv

Hi bud, 

do you have a speaker set you would recommend or planning on buying alongside with that unit? Is yours MK3 too?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alv(Aln)

I'm going to try it with the stock Speakers once I make up my mind which head unit I'm going to go with, as, since my post I spotted another head unit I quite liked the look of, again a Kenwood model, DNX7190DABS, providing the impedances/ohms and wattage handling are within tolerances of course.

PS, no NOT MK3 (MK2.5 - Facelift variant).

Click image to enlarge

YOU MAY ALSO CONSIDER

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club