Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Updating modules

Tommo17

Done a few small ones so far. Going to do apim and IPC tonight i think. 

anyone updated any and noticed any changes ?

I updated the IPC on mine a few weekends back, it's the one with the small display rather than the colour.

Not noticed any difference really except the sound of my indicators has changed. Took about an hour or so to do using focccus on mine.

I've done the BCM and PCM on mine. No noticeable differences. Did it with the Forscan Beta version. Think the BCM took about 1/2 hour and the PCM about an hour. 

23 minutes ago, Nathan Buffery said:

I've done the BCM and PCM on mine. No noticeable differences. Did it with the Forscan Beta version. Think the BCM took about 1/2 hour and the PCM about an hour. 

Your brave. Doing the BCM forscan advised me not to do it as its pulling the wrong files. Thought you would of noticed with the PCM as ive seen early on it helped fine tune the engine so to speak better pull and steady idle etc

23 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

Your brave. Doing the BCM forscan advised me not to do it as its pulling the wrong files.

More like stupid now I've read Forscan advised against it!!! I did it in my quest to try to get the facelift heater control module working......I've since give up the idea.

I did the PCM to try to resolve a slight judder on acceleration. The judder is still there!!! 

1 hour ago, Nathan Buffery said:

More like stupid now I've read Forscan advised against it!!! I did it in my quest to try to get the facelift heater control module working......I've since give up the idea.

I did the PCM to try to resolve a slight judder on acceleration. The judder is still there!!! 

i attempted a few more tonight. connected battery charger plugged laptop in also. but forscan kept saying connect to charger😡 11.6 expected reading 11.5 so didnt end up doing any. have you done the IPC

wouldnt you need the 3.5 BCM firmware forscan wouldnt let me custom chose 3.5 files i downloaded elsewhere

13 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

wouldnt you need the 3.5 BCM firmware forscan wouldnt let me custom chose 3.5 files i downloaded elsewhere

I upgraded to the latest firmware first through forscan, and then like you I got the 3.5 files, but the BCM wouldn't take them. Apparently, there are some later mk3's BCM that will update....but not mine. 

I found, that my little 4amp battery charger won't keep up with it if I have the radio playing at the same time. 

The firmware update functionality of the Forscan Beta testing software versions works perfectly. I used the functionality in combination with an original Ford VCM 2 diagnostic interface many times to update several modules.

The latest available software version that Forscan suggests however is in many cases not correct. This information is based on the hardware number of the module and does not take into account that there is compatibility between many hardware numbers and recalls and TSB's can also result in different software. In some cases the latest available software version that Forscan suggests is in fact an older software version that has been replaced Years ago by a new version with a completely different software version number.

In my opinion you should only update to a software version if you are 100% sure that it is the correct software and is actually newer than the existing software. Because of this I actually prefer to select the software manually.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JW1982 said:

The firmware update functionality of the Forscan Beta testing software versions works perfectly. I used the functionality in combination with an original Ford VCM 2 diagnostic interface many times to update several modules.

The latest available software version that Forscan suggests however is in many cases not correct. This information is based on the hardware number of the module and does not take into account that there is compatibility between many hardware numbers and recalls and TSB's can also result in different software. In some cases the latest available software version that Forscan suggests is in fact an older software version that has been replaced Years ago by a new version with a completely different software version number.

In my opinion you should only update to a software version if you are 100% sure that it is the correct software and is actually newer than the existing software. Because of this I actually prefer to select the software manually.

I did see that if i click manually there is multiple updates past the one it chose for me. 

4 hours ago, JW1982 said:

I must admit, I just used the software that Forscan suggested. I'm not even sure where the software is coming from and where I would go to get alternative software. I'm guessing that you have some way of searching for the software with the serial number of the module @JW1982

who hosts the updates?

keen to know if my old fossil has one for the engine map, or indeed the GEM,  engine is on H10D4SCB   for  7M51-12A650-AZA

not happy the later GEM I fitted only allows cruise to be set from a higher speed and if you wind back it switches off.  The original one enabled at 22mph and could be turned back to 20mph this later one must be at 27 and can disable itself if it feels like it drops below 25 before it reacts.  It does run a 6 month newer firmware version than the original GEM (that didn't support auto lights, wipers and interior mirror).

57 minutes ago, Tommo17 said:

I did see that if i click manually there is multiple updates past the one it chose for me. 

When selecting manually the Forscan program shows all available software versions that Forscan considers to be compatible.

40 minutes ago, Nathan Buffery said:

I must admit, I just used the software that Forscan suggested. I'm not even sure where the software is coming from and where I would go to get alternative software. I'm guessing that you have some way of searching for the software with the serial number of the module @JW1982

The Forscan program downloads the software directly from the Ford servers. The software is publicly available and can be downloaded manually from the following website:

https://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/wds/PCMReprogram/DSFM_PCMReprogram.asp?swproduct=IDS

It is very difficult to determine which are the latest available software versions. 

Just a small example that the Forscan Beta testing software does not always show the correct latest available software: 

My PCM has part number CV61-12A650-AMF and originally had software version CV61-14C204-AMF. Forscan shows software version CV61-14C204-AML to be the latest available software version. My car has the additional electric coolant pump installed according to the TSB Ford released Years ago. The latest correct software version in this situation is CV61-14C204-ARH which I already have for over a Year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Botus said:

who hosts the updates?

keen to know if my old fossil has one for the engine map, or indeed the GEM,  engine is on H10D4SCB   for  7M51-12A650-AZA

not happy the later GEM I fitted only allows cruise to be set from a higher speed and if you wind back it switches off.  The original one enabled at 22mph and could be turned back to 20mph this later one must be at 27 and can disable itself if it feels like it drops below 25 before it reacts.  It does run a 6 month newer firmware version than the original GEM (that didn't support auto lights, wipers and interior mirror).

The software update functionality of the Forscan Beta testing software only support the more recent Ford models. The Focus MK2/MK2.5 are not supported.

• Like 2

Thanks @JW1982 ill take a look at that site as forscan is having difficulty downloading files for my IPC 3 of them are red saying corrupt or missing 

2 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The software update functionality of the Forscan Beta testing software only support the more recent Ford models. The Focus MK2/MK2.5 are not supported.

thanks for the info very helpful....

26 minutes ago, Tommo17 said:

Thanks @JW1982 ill take a look at that site as forscan is having difficulty downloading files for my IPC 3 of them are red saying corrupt or missing 

The latest available software for the Level 3 IPC are:

Focus MK3:

BM5T-14C026-BBG
BM5T-14C026-ACE
BM5T-14C026-AFH
CM5T-14C318-AE

Focus MK3.5

F1ET-14C026-BBJ
F1ET-14C026-BCD
F1ET-14C026-BFF (normal) or F1ET-14C026-BSE (ST)
F1ET-14C318-BD

Whatever you do do not try to reprogram an MK3 instrument cluster with the latest MK2 Kuga software (to obtain the digital speedometer and still have the blue color scheme). This will brick the instrument cluster and without the correct tools and knowledge it is very hard to recover the instrument cluster afterwards.

• Like 1

Thanks @JW1982 for this great info. I'll be updating more of my modules when I get back from work.

55 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

The latest available software for the Level 3 IPC are:

Focus MK3:

BM5T-14C026-BBG
BM5T-14C026-ACE
BM5T-14C026-AFH
CM5T-14C318-AE

Focus MK3.5

F1ET-14C026-BBJ
F1ET-14C026-BCD
F1ET-14C026-BFF (normal) or F1ET-14C026-BSE (ST)
F1ET-14C318-BD

Whatever you do do not try to reprogram an MK3 instrument cluster with the latest MK2 Kuga software (to obtain the digital speedometer and still have the blue color scheme). This will brick the instrument cluster and without the correct tools and knowledge it is very hard to recover the instrument cluster afterwards.

You are a wizard i know it 🙂 this is what forscan is saying for me. Do you know what changes those files make ?

D4A80A60-4B1F-48F7-8414-ACCE8A959122.jpeg

The software files that Forscan suggest for your IPC are older than the ones you currently have.

To have the latest available software:

BM5T-14C026-ACA needs to be replaced by BM5T-14C026-ACE
BM5T-14C026-AFC needs to be replaced by BM5T-14C026-AFH
BM5T-14C026-BBB needs to be replaced by BM5T-14C026-BBG

CM5T-14C318-AD needs to be replaced by CM5T-14C318-AE

Be aware that depending on the diagnostic interface updating the IPC software can take a really long time. I use an original Ford VCM 2 diagnostic interface and in this case the update process takes approximately 45 minutes. However when using an ELM327 interface at a Baudrate of 500.000 Kbps the update process can easily take 12 to 16 Hours.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

However when using an ELM327 interface at a Baudrate of 500.000 Kbps the update process can easily take 12 to 16 Hours.

Crickey!!

• Haha 1

@JW1982 got a VCM2 clone. Worked well so far. Cant get IDS to connect yet though. Thanks ill try those you suggested on the weekend. 

I'm really interested in this and have "some" experience with using Forscan etc

I would like to keep the modules updated, especially in the wife's 2017 as it's now moved out of warranty and will not be visiting Ford dealers anymore and I would like to keep it updated.

Any advice on what lead I need to get etc etc would be very helpful

I only have the ELM327 modified at the moment

To update software using the Forscan Beta testing software I recommend to use either an original Ford (Rotunda) VCM 2 diagnostic interface (or a high quality 100% clone) or any diagnostic interface that has J2534 Pass Through capabilities.

• Like 2

how does it work at Ford dealerships?

on any 2006 or later BMW (though they hate to do it), you can insist they undertake a full software i-level update.  This flashes every module on the car with a current release of latest compatible software.  Its an hour's chargeable labour, and 3 hours plugged in at the dealership.  It checks the vehicle order, compares with current status Germany thinks it should have and writes it all in one hit.  There will be an issue if you turned on toys and it will crash and die.  They do not check before what the car has, if they did, they should ask you to pay for the software license for features you have now (always been an option) then they update the order and it will happily load.  Or you disconnect it before hand (things like bluetooth and USB stuff).  I had it done on 3 of my BMs. the car had 37 modules all done in 3 hours, one bike its 25 to flash and 20 on post setup calibration, the other one its all done inside 12 minutes with only 4 things to update (engine, chassis, TPMS and Alarm) oddly they never write to the ABS unit on the bikes.

On a Mercedes its all one hit wonder, with each module taking a separate session to update.  All done via SCN (online check and authorisation to Germany).  This is more labour so very costly and they are interlinked and some times thing play up, but they pretend its all stand alone units.

On Ford's with they do it without a big fight? if so how and what short of price?  Do they do the whole car in one hit (the best way) or bits and bobs ?... and if its had say its had cruise control enabled I guess no way to let them retain the features ?

• Like 1

@Botus i used ford etis. Checked my build then let it connect to my car to check its current configuration. Now when i log on it has my modules i installed listed as fitted. Will let me update modules officially through etis for £17.99 a module i think it was showing.   

• Like 3