Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Updating modules

Tommo17

30 minutes ago, Botus said:

how does it work at Ford dealerships?

on any 2006 or later BMW (though they hate to do it), you can insist they undertake a full software i-level update.  This flashes every module on the car with a current release of latest compatible software.  Its an hour's chargeable labour, and 3 hours plugged in at the dealership.  It checks the vehicle order, compares with current status Germany thinks it should have and writes it all in one hit.  There will be an issue if you turned on toys and it will crash and die.  They do not check before what the car has, if they did, they should ask you to pay for the software license for features you have now (always been an option) then they update the order and it will happily load.  Or you disconnect it before hand (things like Bluetooth and USB stuff).  I had it done on 3 of my BMs. the car had 37 modules all done in 3 hours, one bike its 25 to flash and 20 on post setup calibration, the other one its all done inside 12 minutes with only 4 things to update (engine, chassis, TPMS and Alarm) oddly they never write to the ABS unit on the bikes.

On a Mercedes its all one hit wonder, with each module taking a separate session to update.  All done via SCN (online check and authorisation to Germany).  This is more labour so very costly and they are interlinked and some times thing play up, but they pretend its all stand alone units.

On Ford's with they do it without a big fight? if so how and what short of price?  Do they do the whole car in one hit (the best way) or bits and bobs ?... and if its had say its had cruise control enabled I guess no way to let them retain the features ?

It is Ford policy to only perform software updates if there is a reason for it. For example if there are problems that a software update might solve or if a recall or TSB prescribes to update software. In all other cases the software is not updated.

If a customer really insists a Ford dealer will update the software and charge for diagnostic labour. If for example the updates take 2 Hours the customer has to pay for 2 Hours diagnostic labour.

On the web based Ford FDRS diagnostic system and the older PC based Ford IDS software each module has to be updated seperately. Depending on the module the time to update a module varies between approximately 5 and 45 minutes. On a vehicle that has never been updated updating all modules that are installed into the car will take approximately 2 to 2.5 Hours.

5 minutes ago, Tommo17 said:

@Botus i used ford etis. Checked my build then let it connect to my car to check its current configuration. Now when i log on it has my modules i installed listed as fitted. Will let me update modules officially through etis for £17.99 a module i think it was showing.   

The prices shown on Etis (actually FDRS) are only for registered users (independent businesses) without a paid subscription. The prices are only shown after the vehicle software has been synchronised with Etis using a suitible J2534 diagnostic interface. The price to update a module varies depending on the type of module. PCM and BCM updates for example are usually more expensive than software updates for less important modules

For users with a paid subscription like for example Ford dealers all service functions (including software updates) are available without showing the prices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tommo17 said:

@Botus i used ford etis. Checked my build then let it connect to my car to check its current configuration. Now when i log on it has my modules i installed listed as fitted. Will let me update modules officially through etis for £17.99 a module i think it was showing.   

That's interesting, I'll give it a look.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JW1982 said:

To update software using the Forscan Beta testing software I recommend to use either an original Ford (Rotunda) VCM 2 diagnostic interface (or a high quality 100% clone) or any diagnostic interface that has J2534 Pass Through capabilities.

something like this maybe?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000377920921.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.50756503nhqSoL&algo_pvid=cb6c1d28-0de3-44c7-9d8a-043408278697&algo_expid=cb6c1d28-0de3-44c7-9d8a-043408278697-3&btsid=0b0a0ae215833060172201766e1f65&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

This is just one of the many available VCM 2 clones. The biggest problem with these that it is very difficult to determine the quality of the clone. Some are excellent quality and are in fact 100% copies of the original while others have different components (sometimes even completely different PCB design) and can be really bad. Some bad clones do not even support module programming or result in a bricked module.

Sellers of the better quality clones do usually show pictures of the circuit boards (the original design has a dual circuit board). This makes it a bit easier to determine the quality of the clone.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Sellers of the better quality clones do usually show pictures of the circuit boards (the original design has a dual circuit board). This makes it a bit easier to determine the quality of the clone.

Thanks

• 9 months later...

happy New Year you have not tried use firmware from restyling on before restyling? everything goes well

you will have digital speed on before restyling

The Focus MK3 instrument cluster can only be updated to MK3.5 instrument cluster software using a non-official diagnostic system that has the ability to select the software files manually. For example the ForScan 2.4.X Beta Test versions (which are no longer available for download) or the UCDS diagnostic system.

When updating the instrument cluster in a Focus MK3 to MK3.5 software you will loose the sound of the reverse sensors and in case of Active Park Assist you will loose both the sound and the visual image on the FCDIM.

The only way to solve this is by installing a MK3.5 PAM (Parking Assistance Module). In case of Active Park Assist you also need to install 2 additional parking sensors at the side of the rear bumper.

• Like 2

who do not have parking sensors will go for them. I asked for the program FoCCCus_0.8.6 and cable els27 

you want to go with a proper cable... ForScan and SanTool have spent the last year building the perfect cable

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-ex/

most ELS27 cables are fake and the current iterations of ForScan will by default refuse to programme.  You need reliable auto switching between CAN speeds.  the cable above is faster and better than any of them other than the ford stuff

there's actually a section on their forums stating to clear your cache if you ever used ForScan with a cheap cable.... as it will remember and thus forevermore never show all the modules that run on the other CAN speeds it didn't find with a nasty cable first round

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is the ODBLink Ex still slow like the ELM327 though, or it is quicker like the UCDS? And has anyone found it cheaper that amazon in the UK?:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/OBDLINK-EX-FORScan-OBD-Adapter/dp/B081VQVD3F/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 

On 2/20/2021 at 4:40 PM, JPW said:

Is the ODBLink Ex still slow like the ELM327 though, or it is quicker like the UCDS? And has anyone found it cheaper that Amazon in the UK?:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/OBDLINK-EX-FORScan-OBD-Adapter/dp/B081VQVD3F/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 

I just realised I posted that link in a post where it MIGHT not be suitable.... to do updates using etis I would expect you need a "pass through adaptor" (as is one that passes the signal from the car down the internet to ford and vice versa), the ODBLink EX doesn't have that capability I believe... but is able to do much the same with a database that Forscan stores.... On old fossils Ford have either lost or just stopped access.  I believe Forscan are doing the opposite and slowly adding old stuff and have access to the new stuff.

As for speed with the latest firmware currently Oct 2020 Forscan are are claiming the ODBLink EX communicates with a ford FASTER than Ford dealer equipment

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2020 at 19:23, JW1982 said:

Gli ultimi software disponibili per IPC di livello 3 sono:

Focus MK3:

BM5T-14C026-BBG
BM5T-14C026-ACE
BM5T-14C026-AFH
CM5T-14C318-AE

Focus MK3.5

F1ET-14C026-BBJ
F1ET-14C026-BCD
F1ET-14C026-BFF (normale) o F1ET-14C026-BSE (ST)
F1ET-14C318-BD

Qualunque cosa tu faccia, non provare a riprogrammare un quadro strumenti MK3 con l'ultimo software MK2 Kuga (per ottenere il tachimetro digitale e avere ancora la combinazione di colori blu). Questo bloccherà il quadro strumenti e senza gli strumenti e le conoscenze corretti è molto difficile recuperare il quadro strumenti in seguito.

good evening I updated my IPC with the mk3.5 screen but I don't like it because the ford logo is not visible when the car is opened and the values reset by themselves within 48 hours.  vcb files are like the photo. if you can give me some info for these vcb files.  my focus is a diesel 1.6tdci 95hp 2012 with manual gearbox.  if i can ask the above vcb files which version are compatible 

Screenshot_20210418-133152_YouTube.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club