Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 Fiesta Dashboard Screen Problem

Bongo2296

My 2015 Fiesta's screen has stopped working properly and I am unable to see mileage, MPG etc. It did work and faded over a couple of days, could this be just a loose connection and how would I check this? Is it a common problem?

IMG_20200216_105153875.thumb.jpg.7bfc3d6df29b62da9329f27f5e08c575.jpg

If you press in on the turn signal stick, does it change from outside temp to the next selection or just disappear? Because on mine the top row only displays a single bit of information. 

It changes but because the middle of the screen is pretty much dead you can't see what it's trying to tell you. See on my picture above how most of it is just not there and here you can't read the mileage properly:

IMG_20200214_181309160.thumb.jpg.58e89d0f7d0437eadd4e9cf071de662c.jpg

Ah my layout is different because mine is an automatic.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a minute or two and then checking it? I am guessing it's probably the screen that's going bad. 😕

I've not disconnected the battery but I've pulled the instrument cluster fuse for a bit which didn't help.

Hold the trip reset button in while pressing the iginition on button. The led display should show test page. Press the trip button again and all the led display should light up. If anything is missing you will see it. Might be a bad connection on the back of the led display, or a bad led display. I don't know how easy it is to get to the back of the  display and push in the connectors. Press the trip again to enter different tests.

Just done that, definitely missing an entire digit plus most of another. If someone knows how to check the connections that would be great. 

You will need to remove the instrument display cluster module. There is a YouTube video on it. It looks fairly easy to do.

Disconnect battery negative, then positive.

Pull the steering wheel back and down. Pull off the plastic covering above the steering column that goes under the display cluster - there are no screws. Undo the 2 torque 20 screws under the dials of the display cluster. Remove the round cover hiding screw in the top and the cluster assembly will pull out. There are 2 connectors at the back to disconnect. The harness is attached by 2 plastic clips and these can be pulled out of their holes to free the harness. You can now get to the led in the cluster. Might be worth replacing it. You might be able to reset the connectors on the edge of the led display module. The cables should be long enough to plug the battery back in and test it before putting it back together. Put a towel under it to protect it if leaving it out to test it.

You will have to take the back off the led display module. Inside there will be rubber conductive strips that touch the edges of the led display. You can clean these will a damp cloth and clean the edges of the display and clip it back together. There is a 50/50 chance of fixing it. Check on eBay for a cheap used spare part.

I might take it out and check the connections but I'm not going to take the display apart. Car is still under warranty from when I bought it not long ago but the dealer is being a right expletive. I shouldn't have to do this at all.

If you take the back cover off the display cluster you will see the led module. It has one connector on the back. I would take a picture of it and look on eBay for a replacement part for around £30. I dont think you can fix it without unclipping the back and cleaning it and pressing it carefully back together.

Ok, thanks for your advice. I'm going to keep fighting to get the dealer to fix it, but if not at least I know what to do.

• 7 months later...
On 2/29/2020 at 9:20 PM, Bongo2296 said:

Ok, thanks for your advice. I'm going to keep fighting to get the dealer to fix it, but if not at least I know what to do.

Hi there. I have the same issue with my 2014 plate ecoboost fiesta. Did you manage to get this fixed by the dealer? Many thanks

The dealer agreed to fix it but then the UK went into lock down.... 

It has been fixed though! 

They replaced the whole instrument cluster, took it to Ford Doncaster to set it up and reset the mileage, they also had to recode all my keys at the same time.

If your car isn't under warranty still I'd try the steps given further up this thread, doesn't seem too difficult. 

6 hours ago, Bongo2296 said:

The dealer agreed to fix it but then the UK went into lock down.... 

It has been fixed though! 

They replaced the whole instrument cluster, took it to Ford Doncaster to set it up and reset the mileage, they also had to recode all my keys at the same time.

If your car isn't under warranty still I'd try the steps given further up this thread, doesn't seem too difficult. 

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me!

Glad it's fixed for you :)

My car isn't under warranty but ford should really fix it as its a manufacturing defect/issue? I have emailed ford customer service to see what to say. I might just leave it as it doesn't affect the driving anyway but just annoying. I'm a rubbish with stuff like this so I don't know whether I should attempt the above as I don't want to end up making it worse! 

• 1 year later...

Can anyone help? My 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.0L 3 cyl ecoboost completely died yesterday after I drove it three blocks. The entire dash is dark, and the car won't attempt to turn over when I turn the key. I think the RPM and speedometer gauges are still sitting where they were when the car died (so they didn't go back to 0). I have power to other parts of the car, such as interior and exterior lights, windshield wipers, air blows in the car, radio works.

Does anyone have an idea about what's going on? I called a Ford dealer this morning and they said it might be an instrument cluster, but they can't say for sure without looking at it. They gave me an informal quote of $800-1000 to fix it 😞

It sounds more like a total electrical failure, not an instrument cluster problem.

Get a multimeter and measure what the battery voltage is, and post back here what it is.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I completely forgot to come back on here and follow up. Thanks unofix for your reply. If you can offer any additional guidance based on my details below, I'd be very grateful. Here's the situation as of now:

The August issue was resolved by replacing 2 blown fuses. I was careful about driving the car for awhile for fear it would happen again, but it seemed fine and I started driving it again normally.

Fast forward to January 7th. I was driving to visit family in another state and the car completely died again- i.e. instrument cluster went black and I coasted to a stop and the ignition switch wouldn't do anything- this time in 0 degree weather along a rural stretch of interstate road. I got the car towed to a town 20 miles away and told the mechanic to look at fuses. The mechanic identified the problem as a blown fuse, but this time only 1 blown fuse. He didn't record which instrument cluster fuse he changed, so all I know is that it was a 7.5 amp fuse. The only difference that I noticed between when the car died in August and this time is that the August incident included losing power steering and power breaks.

I paid another mechanic to try to identify what might be causing the blown fuses, and after he checked lots of wiring and did some testing, he couldn't figure out what the problem is. He stopped short of opening up the dash to check the instrument cluster wiring, which I wish he had done right away.

I'm very stressed now and I don't drive the Fiesta for fear that it will blow fuses again at a dangerous moment while I'm driving (or fuses won't fix the problem next time and I'll have to get it towed again). The Fiesta sits in my garage and I'm currently trying to find a different vehicle. I wish I could solve the electrical problem before trading the Fiesta, though, because I'm concerned a car dealership will just sell the car, and the new owner will eventually be surprised by randomly blown fuses that kill the car (which could be dangerous, especially since there are no turn signals or hazard lights to let other drivers know what's going on).

Please offer any guidance, advice, or suggestions. Thank you very much 😞 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club