Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leaving SD card reader attached to USB port - effect on battery when turned off

CraigJ123

Probs a stupid question but I'm using a micro sd card reader with sd card connected to usb lead and usb port. Is it ok to leave in the port when car is turned off? (as in it wouldn't drain the battery). My memory stick appears knackered and quicker than using bluetooth with phone so doing it this way.

Any info gratefully appreciated.

A card reader doesn't draw any power so you will be fine leaving it plugged in.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks. Is there anything that would draw power if plugged in but the car was fully turned off?

Thanks. Is there anything that would draw power if plugged in but the car was fully turned off?
It depends how long the 12v socket remains live for.
Things like dashcams, external satnav, MP3 players etc

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

My car is an Edge, not a Fiesta, but I have 2 dash cams connected this way with no power drain issues. Has been connected this way for about 2.5 years now. Power stays on for about 1 hour after all turned off keeping dash cams visibly active (nice unexpected deterrent) before going into knock etc activation mode when power goes off.
Don't know if same would apply to Fiesta

Happy motoring

Dave

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

If the power is staying on for an hour but the car is not running, would that not use up battery power? 

I very occasionaly have the power on after turning off the car if I'm waiting in the car but would turn the power button on manually otherwise would turn off automatically after a couple of mins (for lighting to help get out of the car).

It's a bit confusing as you think you've left the power on. I Prefered my 07 Focus which turned everything off straight away.

No worries about power drain. Like I said has been connected up this way for over 2.5 years with no battery drain issues.
I also think that the power supply I tapped into also powers the cigarette lighter sockets and the radio as well.

Happy motoring

Dave

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club