Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I do like

laumk7

4 minutes ago, billyboy said:

I remember the first and only record player that I fitted to a customers car they never caught on as 8 track tapes soon followed.

Crikey, that was a long long time ago!! My dad had one fitted to his car (he owned a record shop) and the darn thing jumped all the time. From memory, you fed a '45' single into a slot just like the modern CD players... 8 tracks too were domed to failure as they often cut songs off in the middle as they were limited to editing so it would fit the length of looped tape available, heady times LOL

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Crikey, that was a long long time ago!! My dad had one fitted to his car (he owned a record shop) and the darn thing jumped all the time. From memory, you fed a '45' single into a slot just like the modern CD players... 8 trackc were domed to failure as they often cut songs off in the middle as they were limited to editing so it would fit the length of looped tape available, heady times LOL

Very true but we thought they were great as they were state of the art and all we had back then

2 minutes ago, billyboy said:

When I started driving in the early '60's heaters were optional extras, most people had them but there were quite a few cars that didn't,...

You forgot to mention the introduction of the 'heated rear screen' which was nothing more than an oval of plastic with built in heating elements that soon turned brown because they were often coupled with a simple on/off switch, so they simply burned out as drivers never remembered to turn them off LOL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iantt said:

No heating in my first car unless I popped the bonnet open And turned the tap on. That's called fully in control!! 

Ian, there's folk on this forum that find it a chore to turn their lights on from a dash switch when it gets dark, rather than have a sensor to do it for them LOL

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

You forgot to mention the introduction of the 'heated rear screen' which was nothing more than an oval of plastic with built in heating elements that soon turned brown because they were often coupled with a simple on/off switch, so they simply burned out as drivers never remembered to turn them off LOL

And no front demisters in some cars . People used to buy useless electric single element heaters that were held onto the windscreen with suckers and needless to say there were no sun visors it makes you wonder why cars were so expensive when you got so little.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, billyboy said:

I remember valve radios, if you had them on low they were hard to hear over the top of the humming noise that came from the power pack under the bonnet. I remember the first and only record player that I fitted to a customers car they never caught on as 8 track tapes soon followed.

I never had a eight track , father-in-law had one in his car for all his country and western music , I seem to remember because they fed off the centre of the spoil to the head then back onto the outer spoil the tape eventually stuck up and slurred the music, so you had to give the cassette a good shake now and then 😀

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, billyboy said:

When I started driving in the early '60's heaters were optional extras, most people had them but there were quite a few cars that didn't, also not many had screen washers people used to keep a squeezy bottle in the car and squirt it on the windscreen whilst they were driving.

How about the vacuum controlled wipers on the first Ford 110 E’s

2 minutes ago, Robhonda said:

I never had a eight track , father-in-law had one in his car for all his country and western music , I seem to remember because they fed off the centre of the spoil to the head then back onto the outer spoil the tape eventually stuck up and slurred the music, so you had to give the cassette a good shake now and then 😀

Pretty sure that in his case, the tape would just get jammed up with all that wet sugary sentimentality of C&W music 🤣

It should read Ford 100 E’s

• Like 1

It should read Ford 100 E’s

Next time buddy, click on the horizontal 3 dots on your post, and you get an 'edit' function LOL

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, billyboy said:

Very true but we thought they were great as they were state of the art and all we had back then

To think the eight tracks where the first in car stereo systems 

31 minutes ago, Robhonda said:

They were notorious, the faster you went the slower they went if you suddenly took your foot off the accelerator they would sometimes go that fast the blade would fly off.

• Haha 1

washers were a pump you pressed with your foot or a knob you squezzed in and a little water sometimes actually made it on the screen. 

also a switch on the floor that put high beam on. 

my brother in law got an old jeep with wipers that have to be operated manually. sister is in charge of that while he drives

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, iantt said:

also a switch on the floor that put high beam on. 

God I remember that, I could swear my dad's Mk1 Cortina had those!

• Like 1

We used to get a lot of cars overheating  when people forgot to roll down their external radiator muffs when the weather warmed up a bit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, billyboy said:

We used to get a lot of cars overheating  when people forgot to roll down their external radiator muffs when the weather warmed up a bit.

My nanny did this on an old car, just a simple blanket thrown over the engine to keep frost at at bay, but she forgot to remove it when driving off next morning! A real mess. I firmly learnt that lesson LOL

1497647893_onchargeLoRes.thumb.jpg.0efc0481ecf17432c4c21ddb3c12414f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i was expecting two oral B go pro electric tooth brushes to arrive today from amazon today; 

However it was a nice surprise to find that the delivery was actually a hydraulic desk monitor mount which I had purchased for our daughters desk last week and wasn't expecting it to arrive until next Monday, which would have meant paying import tax, thankfully it arrived in 2020 so it was tax free, 

these hydraulic mounts are not something i had ever considered purchasing until recently, as our eldest has really gotten interested in sewing and dress making now, the additional desk space would be useful for the sewing machine and laying out of material, 

i logged on to amazon and purchased one of these hydraulic monitor mounts which will take up minimal space on the desk as well as easily lift the monitor up out of the way when the desk space is required for other tasks, 

Link: Thingy Club Gas Spring Single LCD Arm Desk VESA Bracket: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics 

1.thumb.jpg.65390ee66a4317fc5d23791911b6b416.jpg

here was the desk setup as standard 

2.thumb.jpg.e52ffc2e28aabedc6acde2ad592d86d4.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.eafdb9e06c7f54f977b37bdc6a4e2032.jpg

and now with the new hydraulic arm fitted, easily lifts up out of the way, it stays wherever you position it moves quite effortlessly but very sturdy, 

4.thumb.jpg.74640ee48c1bcd23098c43896b3fe633.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.6ca5ad24c403ed389570548782009fb5.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.fe2dd154c9a2f67e52779d8a907c8678.jpg

ive gotta get the unit in the corner of the kitchen built now; which will take th Epson printer&scanner unit away from the desk as well, relocating it to the kitchen connected to the LAN network. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

My nanny did this on an old car, just a simple blanket thrown over the engine to keep frost at at bay, but she forgot to remove it when driving off next morning! A real mess. I firmly learnt that lesson LOL

i think the writers of the tv show "Tom & Jerry" owe your nanny some money for copying such antics in to script 😄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BigLen said:

However it was a nice surprise to find that the delivery was actually a hydraulic desk monitor mount

My goodness man, how did you know something like that even existed?? Looks fab!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

My goodness man, how did you know something like that even existed?? Looks fab!

thanks very much, 

I've saw them in the local motor factors they had one with a keyboard mount under it, 

this one is mounted inside the existing desk grommet; came with the option of a desk clamp for the edge of the desk or sandwich plate for fitting in to a grommet, so I've used the sandwich plate, my only problem is that i have too many cables to pass through the grommet along down the allocated space at the rear of the mount; so I've had to route the cables down the rear of the desk but its working well, nice affordable price too, gives the comfort of a desktop but the utilization of space which a laptop would have provided. 

• Like 1

Lol I only past my test 5 years 9 months ago 😂. Learnt in a Corsa D 1.2 petrol which was decent and I think only thing I could think of it had was ABS. 

The two cars I had o fitted parking sensors on the last car and a reversing camera on the fiesta. The bright LED number plate lights make it hard to see the image so find it a little tricky reversing in the dark. Shows how much I'm used to using it 🤣. ABS I like testing out sometimes on my car 😂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Lol I only past my test 5 years 9 months ago 😂. Learnt in a Corsa D 1.2 petrol which was decent and I think only thing I could think of it had was ABS. 

The two cars I had o fitted parking sensors on the last car and a reversing camera on the fiesta. The bright LED number plate lights make it hard to see the image so find it a little tricky reversing in the dark. Shows how much I'm used to using it 🤣. ABS I like testing out sometimes on my car 😂

do you still have an issue with the reg plate lights being too bright?

if yes; 

I recommend fitting an auto dimming DRL relay to the reg plate loom, simple install just cut the loom inside the boot panel; fit female crimps to the power side and male crimps to the reg bulb side

fit corresponding crimps to the auto dim unit and pass it through the relay, then run a cable from your reverse light positive to the yellow sensor cable of the relay, 

then your registration light bulbs will automatically dim when you put the vehicle in to reverse. 

Link: Daytime Running Lights Lamps DRL Auto Switch Relay Dim Dimming follow me home 5060590386743 | eBay 

if you use male and female crimps you can easily remove it at a later date without much effort as the factory loom with plug back in to itself; i prefer to fit female crimps on the power side as there insulated, then males on to the end taking power. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Brilliant. Yes that was another common mistake, I'd forgotten all about that one.

• Like 2

IMG-20201229-WA0004.thumb.jpg.264245271922d7ac38b651733ef6c049.jpg

I really like this perticular white wine however; I can't find it to buy anywhere local and the only place online is from the Lebanon where I don't believe there is anyone left in the country to ship it.

Highly recommend a bottle if you can get it anywhere.

The way I obtained this bottle is that it was in a hamper from work.

• Like 1

Back at the daughters desk again today with another item purchased from "A" to the "Z" to the "N" 

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JHWB6ST?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image#CustomerImages 

Nice little shelf combination unit; works really well in the corner of the desk to house contactless chargers and a few books etc. 

IMG-20201230-WA0006.thumb.jpg.c6cbeadd3172d5eab6ba129875a4d041.jpg

The assembly instructions were a bit funny; when fully assembled; it shows a person standing on the shelves to illustrate strength but advises not to try it for yourself 😂

IMG_20201230_164930.thumb.jpg.7025df61dd187e2b1c3caccb455030a7.jpg

Overall in my opinion; it's the best item purchased from amazon to date; number two would be the 3-in-1 contactless charger saw on the shelf below the lamp, charges Samsung watch 3, Samsung phone and Anker Liberty Air2 headphones simultaneously via each contactless point. There's an Apple version available for iSheep too.

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0859FKF3Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_image

IMG-20201230-WA0007.thumb.jpg.db41bfb334cf5c98d841e0810eacb234.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club