Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I do like

laumk7

HDD's and SSDs slow down the fuller they get. 
This is due to the way the data is stored in several different areas. 
The thing with RAM is that a lot of it gets used by background programs, even when you're not running anything. 
If you look at your task manager you'll see lots of items in there all running and most are Windows processes.
I have found that Google Chrome will continue to run even when you've shut the browser down and if you have multiple tabs open, they each get their own process in task manager. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

HDD's and SSDs slow down the fuller they get. 

An SSD will slow down to the point of where you notice when they get to about 85% full. On my new 1 Tb one, that'll be 850Gb. Now it's taken me over 10 years to get to about 170Gb, so, I think I'm safe for a while LOL

Oh, and to close Chrome down properly, hit the 3 lines top right, and select, 'exit' this'll close down the browser AND the application.

12 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

An SSD will slow down to the point of where you notice when they get to about 85% full. On my new 1 Tb one, that'll be 850Gb. Now it's taken me over 10 years to get to about 170Gb, so, I think I'm safe for a while LOL

You'll also want to set aside some of the space on the SSD for Over Provisioning.

1 minute ago, Zico said:

You'll also want to set aside some of the space on the SSD for Over Provisioning.

Aahhh yes, that 'over provisioning', I lie awake at night worrying about that 🤣

• Haha 2

Do people still defrag hard drives or are they automatically tidier nowadays?  Can't remember the last time I did one but seemed to be doing it regularly in the 00s.

The interesting thing with storage space is how much modern pictures take, let alone video!  Surely we can't cram any more pixels into phone cameras! :laugh:

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Do people still defrag hard drives or are they automatically tidier nowadays?  Can't remember the last time I did one but seemed to be doing it regularly in the 00s.

The interesting thing with storage space is how much modern pictures take, let alone video!  Surely we can't cram any more pixels into phone cameras! :laugh:

Last time I de-fragged a disc was about 5 years ago LOL

As for photos, I have no idea why people lust after 50Mp cameras, mine has 10Mp, and I dial the storage down to 4Mb/photo, I've never been in a position where I have regretted not enough pixels! Though, I was brought up to know how to develop my own B&W 35mm films in a dark room (with chemicals that wouldn't be let near a child these days!) and print my own photos, so guess I have picked up a thing or 2 over the years...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ive no need to tbh as the laptop had 88% space left last time I looked and it's taken somewhere between 5 and 7 hrs to get at that point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wino said:

... and it's taken somewhere between 5 and 7 hrs to get at that point. 

You mean years, right? LOL

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

You mean years, right? LOL

Yes I did lol.

On 7/10/2021 at 7:39 PM, TomsFocus said:

SSD's don't need to be defragged. Windows 10 does what it needs to keep SSD's 'tidy' as it were.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Zico said:

SSD's don't need to be defragged. Windows 10 does what it needs to keep SSD's 'tidy' as it were.

Ah that's good to know, thanks!

That’s Liam Brady wearing a 70s looking strip.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarksST said:

That’s Liam Brady wearing a 70s looking strip.

Is he a chef? Sure I've seen him on a YouTube video making a fishfinger sandwich.

• Like 1

Yeah that’s the one, got a Michelin star for that dish, £100 for it in his London restaurant 

• Like 1

Things I like,

My Zgemma satellite free view box, which gives me same functionality as a Sky box, particularly like it at moment as I now watch all programmes recorded, so I can fast forward all the damn news which repeats and repeats and repeats and repeats all day long, particularly at the moment!

8 hours ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

Things I like,

My Zgemma satellite free view box, which gives me same functionality as a Sky box, particularly like it at moment as I now watch all programmes recorded, so I can fast forward all the damn news which repeats and repeats and repeats and repeats all day long, particularly at the moment!

I assume it takes two sattelite feeds?

Also you may know already; but if ever switching to skyQ you will need to purchase a Hybrid LNB from an independent supplier and have it fitted to the dish which provides outputs for regular sattelite aswell as for SkyQ, 

Part of Q's design and premature release was to eliminate non subscription sattelite users, 

I'm in Ireland and have four sky DRX595C boxes with unsubscribed UK mainland cards, which provide me with loads of BBC, music channels, Dave etc. All for free and Brexit didn't affect there function where Irish sky paying subscribers have lost some BBC aswell as some music channels due to Brexit, 

1 hour ago, BigLen said:

All for free and Brexit didn't affect there function where Irish sky paying subscribers have lost some BBC aswell as some music channels due to Brexit, 

You do know that as part of the 'Good Friday Agreement', it was agreed that people both North & South of the border would have reciprocal arrangements to watch BBC/RTE for free on the digital platform, Freeview?

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

You do know that as part of the 'Good Friday Agreement', it was agreed that people both North & South of the border would have reciprocal arrangements to watch BBC/RTE for free on the digital platform, Freeview?

Yes that's called saoirview in the south; comes in via the aerial not sattelite and the BBC'S are only available via aerial around the border county's and maybe the north side of Dublin on a clear day, 

But once you go further south then you only get RTE and Virgin Media unless your costal and again on a good clear day;

Freeview sattelite isint actually licenced in Ireland although many shops sell Freeview sattelite equipment it's not actually licenced; supposed to be UK only; 

The only way were really authorized to get sattelite is through a subscription, can't get RTE or Virgin via sattelite without subscription but you can get it through a terrestrial aerial or even a wire coat hanger for free, 

I mostly watch TV in the car these days, on my lunch break in work; bought an Xtrons TV tuner few years ago, fitted to a 7" touch screen unit, 

Works well, I work contental shift pattern; get dr.phil at 4am on Nightshift, Euronews in the morning on days and a David Attenborough documentary or similar in the evening

Two lollipop stick sized aerials stuck to the sides of the windscreen inside the car, iR receiver fitted inside the garage door compartment where the remote also stays when not in use 👍🏻

4 hours ago, BigLen said:

I assume it takes two sattelite feeds?

Also you may know already; but if ever switching to skyQ you will need to purchase a Hybrid LNB from an independent supplier and have it fitted to the dish which provides outputs for regular sattelite aswell as for SkyQ, 

Part of Q's design and premature release was to eliminate non subscription sattelite users, 

I'm in Ireland and have four sky DRX595C boxes with unsubscribed UK mainland cards, which provide me with loads of BBC, music channels, Dave etc. All for free and Brexit didn't affect there function where Irish sky paying subscribers have lost some BBC aswell as some music channels due to Brexit, 

Wouldn't touch Sky with a 20 foot barge pole.

No I only use free view channels which I'm entitled to do for free, as is everyone else in UK.

The zgemma box uses an os called open atv, which gives a similar experience as sky, or more like Humax, only unlike Humax  this box works.

In answer to your other question yes it is dual so I can record one channel whilst recording another.

No sky in this household pleased to say.

This could go in either this thread or the 'I Don't Like' thread but I'll try and boost this one a wee bit 😃

I like trying to help our neighbour today. Lady in her 80s who we have a wee bit of coming and going with, came by the door this afternoon. She had been to Tesco for shopping and to pick her grandson up to take him home for tea and put him back in an hour to finish his shift. Her car wouldn't start so they walked home and asked if I could run them back and have a look at the car after they had had their tea.

Got jump leads, socket set etc put in car and gave them a lift back, managed to jump start her car and she said she would want a new battery in it, 8 year old car-still original battery-short runs etc etc. She went home and I went to the local motor factors, bought a battery for her and returned home. Proceeded to change the battery for her and found it was too small!!! Too late to get back to the factors to change the battery! 🙄

IMG_20210715_172909866_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turvey said:

This could go in either this thread or the 'I Don't Like' thread but I'll try and boost this one a wee bit 😃

Want to give this post a 'like' but also a 'giggle' emoji - think I'll settle on, 'like' LOL

On 7/13/2021 at 7:06 PM, BigLen said:

I do like the new vase which arrived today from OrianaB 

Makes me smile 😁

https://www.orianab.com/collections/home-accessories/products/white-boob-vase

IMG-20210713-WA0003.thumb.jpg.ea412dc1d938dbe89046d55ec532377b.jpg

IMG-20210713-WA0001.thumb.jpg.daef53c01f6b2e28b6d3db94a7ed9c96.jpg

no good on that shelf, needs to be on a chest of drawers.!!🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club