Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I do like

laumk7

23 hours ago, iantt said:

has your dad done Glow plugs on a ranger before? Not a 5 min job on those. 

Car didn't fully fit in the garage with the front hanging out so had to take it to another garage. He didn't want anything bad happening which would of left the car undrivable and the garage shutters wouldn't be able to close

• Like 1

Taking part in another electric saving session. Got my consumption right down for the hour required. 33 watts. Result

IMG_20230123_180744023.jpg

• Like 2

I do like a bargain! Was in Lidl earlier and was in right place, right time for my favourite food. Got £84 of Smoked Salmon (200g packs not 100g) for just over £8! I love 'dated food'... LOL

1411011082_smokedsalmon70p.thumb.jpg.4a5082fa3e9f65bebaa7603bf8c897ea.jpg

• Like 6

I do like discovering that a workmate left his keys in his van along with a set of jumpleads when some numpty left a plugin heater on when he left his car this morning 😳 😃

IMG_20230128_135156103_HDR.jpg

I do like that the Toby now has scrambled eggs back, has managed to find some marmalade for the toast (I have had to resort to bringing my own lately) and is providing black pudding  with the AYCE breakfast,

I do like being pleasantly surprised by our car insurance renewals. From media reports I was expecting large hikes this year, but ours are less than last year - same cars, drivers, mileage etc. Mine is over 10% less, the Mrs's almost 20%. We've both been on full NCD for decades, so it's not that.

I normally do a thorough comparison of the Meerkat every year and our prices last year were the best I could find, but I'm inclined not to bother this time unless someone has had even bigger reductions?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I do like being pleasantly surprised by our car insurance renewals. From media reports I was expecting large hikes this year, but ours are less than last year - same cars, drivers, mileage etc. Mine is over 10% less, the Mrs's almost 20%. We've both been on full NCD for decades, so it's not that.

I normally do a thorough comparison of the Meerkat every year and our prices last year were the best I could find, but I'm inclined not to bother this time unless someone has had even bigger reductions?

Old age making a difference now then 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iantt said:

Old age making a difference now then 🤣

Lol, we're with Saga anyway.😃

I had heard though, that there's a bit of a "sweet spot" between early 5Os and late 60s where you're assumed to be a good bet for insurance as (hopefully) you have plenty of experience, don't take as many risks, but have not yet lost your marbles. After that, I've seen mention of it going up, but so far I've not experienced it personally. (Nor have my friends in their mid-70s who still seem to have no bother getting reasonable rates for their WRX, Nissan GTR, AMG 63 Merc, etc.)

• Like 1

My insurance has pretty much allways been between £160-£200 fully comp a year regardless what car I've had. 

I've been contemplating not renewing insurance this year.  Last year's was completely wasted.  Haven't driven on a public road since Sept 2021.  It's not particularly expensive (around £300 iirc) but seems daft to keep it going 'just in case'.  It's so quick & easy to setup new insurance I might as well do that when or if I'm in a position to get back OTR again.  

I've never had a break in insurance cover since I started driving.  As far as I understand, my NCB will remain valid from the end of cover this year, for another 2 years?

I also have a 'Do Like' for a change.  It's taken a month but I've finally completed the main bulk of the spring clean at home.  Lots recycled or donated.  Quite a bit of 'Tetris' to make the space work better.  Created a much more accessible storage system so I can get to the stuff I need to, when I need to.

Didn't seem to achieve anything last year but this feels like an achievement.  Hopefully the first of more this year...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I've been contemplating not renewing insurance this year. ..

Tom, I stopped insurance on my mums car just before Christmas, but due to mine being off road (cluster issues) I tried to start the insurance again, but came across all sorts of issues because the car wasn't on SORN! They don't like cars that are taxed & MOTd but with no insurance. I know, ***** ridiculous. Managed to get a 7 day temporary cover, but will sort out something more permanent soon...

To be fair, it could just be an NI thing!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Didn't seem to achieve anything last year but this feels like an achievement.  Hopefully the first of more this year...

There is something satisfying about having a clear out and hopefully this is the start of your recovery or at least a bit of remission from your health problems. 

On a more personal note I was doing something similar last weekend and found my fathers old Ford Anglia Haynes Manual. They had a lot more detail than the modern ones and in the facts and figures the quoted 0-60 time was 28 or 30 seconds. That car took six of us from Scotland to Italy complete with camping gear - I was too young to appreciate it at the time but IDSC_0800.thumb.JPG.daf9f4d65c918c23169f20058c1aae57.JPG now do feel sorry for my father. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, I stopped insurance on my mums car just before Christmas, but due to mine being off road (cluster issues) I tried to start the insurance again, but came across all sorts of issues because the car wasn't on SORN! They don't like cars that are taxed & MOTd but with no insurance. I know, ***** ridiculous. Managed to get a 7 day temporary cover, but will sort out something more permanent soon...

To be fair, it could just be an NI thing!

That is odd.  I know cars either have to be taxed or SORN here, can no longer just leave the tax 'expired'.  I also know that cars can only be taxed once they have insurance cover in place...but your problem seems to be the opposite to that, trying to insure with tax already in place.

Shouldn't really affect me as it hasn't been taxed for the last year anyway.  Tax is only £30 a year so I don't mind starting that in the middle of the month if necessary.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, iantt said:

I was quite amused by this...

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me! LOL

• Like 1

I see ford are now transitioning to zero emmisions vehicles. The new 2023 ranger raptor has a 3.0 l v6 petrol engine option. Sounds like a ranger should do at last. 

• Like 2

New colour in ford rangers for you budding warmongers out there. 🤣🤣

IMG_20230207_155139968~2.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, iantt said:

New colour in ford rangers

Not a colour I'd go for, but I can see that it would appeal to some.

2 hours ago, iantt said:

New colour in ford rangers for you budding warmongers out there. 🤣🤣

IMG_20230207_155139968~2.jpg

Tarmac grey, that can't be safe even with DRL's.

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Not a colour I'd go for, but I can see that it would appeal to some.

I saw a 'matt' finish black BMW 3 series recently at a shopping center car park. I really liked it, though I still think if it was mine, I'd have an urge to give it a good polish! LOL

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Camo green? 

I think I need to visit Specsavers, it looks grey to me.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tizer said:

I think I need to visit Specsavers, it looks grey to me.

It looks grey to me too, but.......I do have a green deficiency 😆

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club