Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I do like

laumk7

• 2 weeks later...

Had the AA out to my pride and joy, power steering pump kaput, he said the fluid was a god awful colour,turned up within the hour even on a bank holiday weekend. Rather than tow or low loader he brimmed the top up bottle and followed me the sub 10 miles to my mech. Was all Mr Roberts and Sir, loved it. Spoke to my guy gonna get stuck in 1st thing tomorrow. Well worth the £15 premium i'd paid valid till July 1st.

• Like 2

My new [18 months] laptop has been seriously struggling even with my removing ALL the bloatware both Dell and Microshaft. Fans near constant running and sluggish scrolling on websites no end of fiddling reinstallig cured it. Went the NUCLEAR option completely wiped and installed Ubuntu a Linux derivative, Bit of a learning process and some googling to sort minor glitches, but it has its youth back. From pressing the power button 10 seconds and its up and ready and flys. I've posted in the things i like section as i DO like it. ALL my regular programs work, just now to get FORscan going on it, or just leave that on my underpowered Sony Vaio.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

My new [18 months] laptop has been seriously struggling ....

You gotta wonder why it slowed down. I'm assuming such a new laptop has an SSD instead of an older HDD? My own laptop is a 2010 vintage with Windows 7. I upgraded to 2 years ago to a SSD so it now boots up from cold in 45 seconds, (just waking up takes 5 seconds) which I'm thrilled at! I just hate the way MS insists that we have to upgrade all the time. There is nothing wrong with what I have, does everything I want, and I have no intentions of 'upgrading'.

• Like 1

Yes its dual SSD i5 intel, 256 boot drive 1TB storage, both gaming drives so speed in their favour, upgraded to 32GB ram. From how it performs now i'm blaming Dell and Microshaft. Both windows 10 and 11 were the same, constantly updating, patching.

Hmmmmmm. having a troll around allegedly there is a Tiny10 and Tiny11 available, allegedly a seriously slimmed down windows 10/11. Gonna dig out my old XP Sony Vaio and have a bash, what could possibly go wrong haha

14 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

Gonna dig out my old XP Sony Vaio and have a bash, what could possibly go wrong haha

I wish you luck 👍

Let me know how you get on. I have a Sony Vaio with XP that I much prefer to the Dell that I'm using now but sadly virtually nothing works on XP anymore so have had to retire the Sony. The big problem I expect you will find is the lack of drivers for the Sony to allow it to run windows 10 or 11.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, unofix said:

I wish you luck 👍

Let me know how you get on. I have a Sony Vaio with XP that I much prefer to the Dell that I'm using now but sadly virtually nothing works on XP anymore so have had to retire the Sony. The big problem I expect you will find is the lack of drivers for the Sony to allow it to run windows 10 or 11.

Gotta find my charger, its dead as a dodo

On 4/30/2023 at 8:26 PM, TimST2 said:

First time logging on this year!

The ST has just ticked-over 35k miles, so I took the opportunity this long weekend to empty the oil catch can and spend some time giving it a wash. Probably spent about 4 hours in total - snow foam, fallout remover, shampoo, wax, wheel sealant then a full interior clean finished off with re-scotchgarding the mats and applying Gtechniq L1 to the leather.

Nothing really to report, other than some tyre rubber on the rim from where I hit a pothole. Thankfully the built-in Michelin PS4 rim protector did its job so both tyre and wheel survived unscathed.

I can't quite believe how these cars have held their value. A quick search on Pistonheads reveals that 2016 ST-2s with under 40k miles sell for about £12k. That's only £2k  less than I paid for mine nearly 5 years and 20k miles ago!

I have a service and MOT next week, which at 7 years is listed as the 87.5k mile service 😲

With the oil catch can as well, this is one pampered engine!

On 5/27/2023 at 5:04 PM, StephenFord said:

! I just hate the way MS insists that we have to upgrade all the time.

11 hours ago, unofix said:

sadly virtually nothing works on XP anymore so have had to retire the Sony.

Microsoft stinks! Absolutely foul stench of greed and stupidity. Their intentional obsolescence policy is utterly indefensible, based on pure greed. What incompetence it is to keep writing operating systems that can not be upgraded, and force perfectly decent computers to be thrown away because they can not be down graded.

I have been forced to use Win10 instead of Win XP, and I hate, hate, hate it. So slow and inefficient, and always doing stuff I don't want it to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I have been forced to use Win10 instead of Win XP

I'm using a 6 year old Dell (replaced my Sony) which runs windows 7 with 'Classic Shell' installed which makes in almost identical to XP. I'll keep using it as long as it is possible. About 5 years ago I bought a brand new windows 10 tablet, after 6 months i hated it so much I gave it away for free.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, unofix said:

runs windows 7

Some "helpful" advice from your "friendly" Microsoft website:

Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020
The Windows 10 free upgrade offer ended on July 29, 2016.
To upgrade to Windows 10, you will need to have a compatible PC and purchase a full version of the software.
We recommend that you don't install Windows 10 on an older device,
as some Windows 7 devices are not compatible with Windows 10 or could experience reduced feature availability.

-------------------

What I said, in MS's own words. Didn't take me long to find it! Win10 is not scheduled to last much longer, either.

The trouble is, there is little alternative. Friendly Uncle Google, fined about 7 billion Euros (and probably rising) for various anti-competitive practices. They make so much money they probably don't really care. Apple is, in many ways, worse. I had a bad experience with Linux, but reading Jimpster's post, am more motivated to try again, when I get enough time to plod through it all.

8 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

What I said, in MS's own words. Didn't take me long to find it! Win10 is not scheduled to last much longer, either.

I've also stopped using Chrome as my browser as they permanently give out an apocalyptic warning that they no longer support windows 7! There is no simple way to turn the darn warning off. FireFox doesn't care what OS I am running LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

FireFox doesn't care what OS I am running LOL

I use Firefox, I like Mozilla, a bit less commercial than the big three.

I managed to use Firefox on XP up until last year, despite Firefox updates stopping at least a couple of years earlier. Then it became impossible - The tipping point was when HMRC required me to send VAT returns digitally - The software I needed did load & run on XP, but could not manage to upload the data to HMRC - XP had a fundamental limitation built in (deliberately?) so it could not use the latest secure internet protocols. That was when I was forced to downgrade to Win10, it is worse than I expected, absolutely full of ridiculous little delays - despite running on a 64 bit Quad core HP tower designed for it.

Boot up time and start up delays from idle are also totally ridiculous. Starting any programme usually takes ages. Firefox does pretty well on it though. Until you need to use any operating system facility or other programme.

Hence my move to Linux, Chrome runs fine, Evolution for a mail client,can still use my VPN and Ahem borrow music and films, and when i need teams i run it in my browser. Had to order a new charger for my vaio as sadly Linux wont run FORscan, that ive found yet.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I managed to use Firefox on XP up until last year..

The upgrade from XP to Windows 7 was like leaping from vinyl to CD! Much as I loved XP, the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) was a regular occurrence. In the 13 years I have been using Windows 7, I have had the BSOD only once!

It's like having a petrol car that works perfectly, and you're really happy with it, yet some higher power legislates that it's now obsolete and you need to get a battery one! Actually, I should start a thread on that one 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My family

Fun days out with my daughters and grandkids

Riding motorcycles

Following motorcycle racing

Speed

Real ales

Visiting the coast on a niceday

Repairing things

Most seafood especially crustaceans

Still being alive and able to experience it all

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

IMG_0496.thumb.jpeg.77189ac1494030600e147003479f75d8.jpeg

Wheels? Painted calipers? Tires? LOL

New tyres. Really like them so far. 

• Like 2

Congratulations @StephenFord for your 8000th like reaction 🎉🎉🎉🎉

I think I'm right in saying you are the only poster in the top 20 that have more 'likes' than posts 👍

8000 club.JPG

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, unofix said:

Congratulations @StephenFord for your 8000th like reaction 🎉🎉🎉🎉

I think I'm right in saying you are the only poster in the top 20 that have more 'likes' than posts 👍

8000 club.JPG

Not since gaining my 20m breast stroke swimming badge have I been so proud! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I do like getting my 'premium forum membership' renewal invoice, and paying it by return - I feel a right smug git now! LOL 😂

• Haha 1

Plane spotting yesterday evening from our hotel window. IMG-20230608-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.8ce200116dacfac3532cb0ca96956e57.jpeg

did you ask for a sea view ????? 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club