Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Start button no start!

rg1642

Hi, I've got a 2009 2.0 TDCI with keyless ignition. When I push the start button it rarely starts. I have been through all the stuff I can find online. The button seems ok as it will bring up the initial screen with a quick push but does not follow through to start when held down. To cut a long story short, if the key is in the car I can take out the starter relay. R1. from the engine bay fuse box and jump start the starter motor and the engine will start. The relay is fine, so I assume it is just not getting a signal to switch. 

What I want to know is, has anyone found a fix for this or have a wiring schematic that shows where the wires go from the start button to the starter relay so I can have a chance of tracing where the fault is?

Thanks in advance

Russ

Do you have to keep the clutch down on this one? Possibly the clutch switch?

The wires from the start button go to the BCM. It's the BCM that sends the signal to the starter. Try the following:

1) Get in the car, press the start button, then immediately try and start the car. Does that work? 

2) Get in the car, press the start button but then wait for a couple of minutes. Now try and start the car. Does that fail? 

3) Get in the car. Press start button, then wait. Try to start the car and confirm it doesn't work. Now open and close driver's door and then try to start car. Does that work? 

If you answered yes to all the above then it is definitely the BCM. The only cure when I had that issue on my previous Mondeo was a new BCM, but they're not cheap. 

21 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Do you have to keep the clutch down on this one? Possibly the clutch switch?

It starts with out my foot on the clutch when I start it from the relay as it bypasses the security features if the immobiliser is ok. As I understand it.

22 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

The wires from the start button go to the BCM. It's the BCM that sends the signal to the starter. Try the following:

1) Get in the car, press the start button, then immediately try and start the car. Does that work? 

2) Get in the car, press the start button but then wait for a couple of minutes. Now try and start the car. Does that fail? 

3) Get in the car. Press start button, then wait. Try to start the car and confirm it doesn't work. Now open and close driver's door and then try to start car. Does that work? 

If you answered yes to all the above then it is definitely the BCM. The only cure when I had that issue on my previous Mondeo was a new BCM, but they're not cheap. 

Not tried the drivers door one yet but none of the others start it. If it wants to it starts, if not I just have to jump it. As for the module, I just had to have the air bag module replaced as it went haywire. Hate to think the price of the BCM.

£700, fitted and programmed from a main dealer 🤑. On the plus side, it fixed a couple of other electrical gremlins when I had it done, so the BCM was definitely knackered. 

I'll test for a current to the relay when the buttons pressed and take it from there. Just spent £900 getting a clutch n flywheel because I didn't want to grovel in the cold so another £700 is out the window for a bit. If I have to I'll rig another button just for the starter for now. Really need the schematic though to trace it without ripping everything apart looking. Not going to let it beat me if I can help it. 😂😂

• Like 1

Haynes manual has the wiring schematic. However, in my case it was as much use as a chocolate teapot. Not because the diagram in the manual is bad, but because there's just a signal wire going from the start button to the BCM, then inside that magic happens, then it sends a signal to the starter motor. However, it also reads data from other sensors, such as clutch position, etc, which all go into the BCM black box. I take it that the "press clutch to start" message does go away when you try and start it? If not you might be lucky and it could be the clutch sensor, as alexp says. 

As soon as you put your foot on the clutch the message goes so I assume the sensor is ok. My Haynes says it's the wiring for the starting system 'except' keyless ignition. Really helpful! I was hoping someone might have a ford diagram that was a bit more helpful but if not  I'll have to lump it I suppose. Never mind 😂

Well I have now exhausted all avenues an know that there is no power coming to the starter relay from whatever ECU controls it. Can anyone confirm that starting is controlled from the GEM in the passenger footwell? If not which one?

Ta 😁

It definitely goes through the BCM in the passenger footwell. Not sure if there's also another ECU involved in the process too, though. 

• 1 year later...

hi the got automatic the car won't work I locked it now wont start

• 2 years later...

Hallo, so how u solved this problem?(: Share your wisdom pls(:

1 hour ago, Terrnerr said:

Hallo, so how u solved this problem?

Russ rg1642, sold his car to someone called Anton. 🤣

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Russ rg1642, sold his car to someone called Anton. 🤣

Poor guy(((:

Wait a minute... Oh.. )):

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club