Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mounting/Cable Routing for a roof mounted light bar

drgreenway

Hi

I've just changed my car, and bought a 2017 Ford Edge 210 Titanium.  It is lovely, I'm really pleased with it.  I am also a prehospital doctor, and want to mount a mini LED lightbar with siren for ambulance response purposes; I volunteer for a charity called North Staffordshire BASICS.  I'm trying to work out the best way to kit out the vehicle, either with just a roof mounted bar, or go for a full blue light fit (obviously more expensive with potentially some damage to the vehicle).

Can I tap in to your collective wisdom please?  How would you go about mounting a lightbar (for example the eXpert SLE: https://www.ledlightbars.co.uk/minilightbars/haztec-xpert-sle-siren-minibar-r65-class-2-blue-magnetic-mount.html)?  The panoramic glass roof makes me think mounting on a roof rack bar is the only way to go.  How would you route a cable so that it is controllable whilst driving and can be plugged into one of the 12V cigarette lighters?  It all seems a bit tricky.  I think the linked lightbar can be fitted with longer cable if required.

Thanks for your anticipated help, I could do with it!

Best wishes

Mike

Can't help with the mounting issue and initial cabling from the roof but if you want an idea of hidden cable routing from inside the sunroof to under the dash passenger side my dashcam install guide will possibly help...

4 minutes ago, Trent Edge said:

Can't help with the mounting issue and initial cabling from the roof but if you want an idea of hidden cable routing from inside the sunroof to under the dash passenger side my dashcam install guide will possibly help...

Thanks, that's funny, yours is the post which came up on my search for my answer and led me to this forum!  I have the Thinkware F800 which also needs fitting, so I will be back to follow your instructions in the near future! 😀

• Like 1

Cool job description.

H

Think there's only one set of bars that can be fitted with pano roof. Some info here I think...

6 hours ago, Trent Edge said:

Think there's only one set of bars that can be fitted with pano roof. Some info here I think...

That's great thanks. I was going to go for thule, they say theirs is compatible, but the Whispbar data suggests a much quieter, lower drag solution.

Would you suggest running the cable along the roof bar, down next to the foot and then in through the top of the door into the trim inside and then running round the front like with the dash cam post? I'd need a few metres of cable to make that work.

If so, how would you minimise water ingress next to the cabling?

Mike

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club