Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine cuts out.. then won't crank?

LogicOne

Hi all,

Have a Ford Ranger 2015 2.2tdi in at the moment.. before I go any further, the vehicle has been through water and I believe the fault has started since.

I'd usually run a mile but the customer is a friend. Only spent an hour on it so apologies for the limited info that follows.

Car starts fine, runs fine and no issues at all... after 5-10 mins (this time varies to be honest, sometimes seconds, yesterday it ran for 20 mins) it cuts out.. and then has a no crank condition. This lasts for hours! Next morning it works again.

If you pop the starter relay and cycle the key, the vehicle will start if you shoot 12v straight to the starter but will cut out again after 20 seconds or so.

Faults were all previously cleared by someone else and currently showing no codes apart from a DPF regen fault and a crash sensor signal high... Both them ring alarm bells as I've been told the EGT sensors can cause a no crank if it thinks the engine is super hot.

Not sure if there is anything on these which shuts it all off, including computer ground to starter relay.

No wiring diagrams available on AutoData and the ones on Bosch KTS aren't great.

I noticed that the yellow cog symbol comes up indicating a transmission fault (?) however, it has a manual gearbox.

No communication with various other modules.. airbags, instrument, abs .. etc..

I have 2 DPF EGT sensor readings, one is at 0.75v and the other is pegged at 5v... not sure if that one is indicating a max temp - no temperature, just voltages unfortunately.

A little black module above the glove box, fixed to the dash had a little bit of water in it that has obviously come through the firewall and run down the wires. There was a few white crusties inside! We pulled that off and tried running the vehicle, and it started every time and ran for even longer before the issues started again.

Any pointers here would be highly appreciated.

• 7 months later...

Hi LogicOne did you find a fix for this issue. I have a 2014 2.2 ranger with exact same issue. Where as mine will not crank at all so far. 

I had a problem with the dpf the exhaust gas temp sensor 3. I used forscan software and the code reader and could see the live stream data of the temp sensor voltages. Open circuit should read 5volts but with the sensors plugged in it would flicker from 4.99 to 5 volts 

On a working sensor it should flicker at 4.95 to 4.97 volts but soon as it goes to 5v it would trigger the engine management light this putting it in to limp mode. There are 3 sensors on this dpf and As I already replaced 2 sensors

I had no more funds to buy a 3rd. So I followed a guide to lover the voltage with a resistor. 

I did this and all 3 sensors was lowered at around 0.75v like you mentioned one of yours was reading. 

I then started the truck and it ran for around 20 seconds and then shut off on it's own. 

When I tried to start again it will not crank what's so ever. 

I did initially get a few other codes trigger about egr temp sensor to high and egt to high. I did clear them and tried again but no cranking at all. From what I have read I probably shouldn't have started it with the voltage that low as it has told the PCM that the egr was to hot. 

I just hope it will start in the morning. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club