Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Courtesy car excess

Gary Lewis

Can anyone tell me what the excess amount is when ford give you a courtesy car wasn't giving any paperwork thanks

There should be no excess chargeable to you for a courtecy car if you have comprehensive cover, look at your insurance schedule, it should be included in your policy.

I once had a fault with a car which was covered by the dealers warrantee which included a courtecy car, a little different scenario but relevant, they sent me the courtecy car lifted on the back of a 'spectacle' recovery truck, it arrived covered in mud, couldn't look out of it, front tyre was flat, no fuel in the tank and the 'carpets' inside had an inch thick layer of dog hair on them, seats were dirty and the car stank. When I drove it the short distance back to the dealer they gave me an invoice for delivery and insurance, I refused to pay inciting the mess the car was in and told them that under my insurance that I was entitled to a courtecy car as I am covered to drive any car with the owners permission, the dealer having supplied the car to me in itself is permission and their insurance should cover lending out a car under these circumstances anyway. I neither paid or used their services ever again.

I suspect what Gary was meaning is the excess on the dealers insurance which normally would cover a courtesy car? 

If so, it's a matter of checking before you take the car away and if not happy making arrangements to cover it on your own insurance. Always worth checking the vehicle for damage before leaving the dealership as well.

Same thing applies with demo cars. I think the last time I had a demo car the excess was £500, but individual dealers will vary. Similarly they often have age restrictions. 

Anywhere around £500-700 is normal from what I’ve seen for courtesy cars supplied by garages. Each garage is different and they should inform you this when you pick it up. I had to sign to say I agreed to it. 

Your insurance courtesy cover is only when yours is being repaired by the insurer and the insurer has provided you a car. 

A car provided by a garage while yours is being serviced or fixed is supplied by the garage on their own insurance.

23 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I had to sign to say I agreed to it. 

Yes, can't recall ever being given a courtesy car (or a demonstrator) without being given the paperwork and asked to sign agreement with the terms.

I’ve never had to sign for a demonstrator. But courtesy cars definitely. 

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Your insurance courtesy cover is only when yours is being repaired by the insurer and the insurer has provided you a car. 

A car provided by a garage while yours is being serviced or fixed is supplied by the garage on their own insurance.

I've not found that always to be the case. Some dealers charge £10 or so for a courtesy car to cover insurance or waive it if you cover it on your own policy. I'm rarely in a position nowadays where I can't do without a car for a few hours so usually decline.

36 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I’ve never had to sign for a demonstrator. But courtesy cars definitely. 

Dealers do vary, as we've both said, but that does surprise me a bit tbh. Even my usual Ford dealer where I've been a customer for over 15 years asks you to sign to acknowledge the terms of the insurance, and they know me very well. Or perhaps it's because they know me very well!!😀

• 7 months later...

it arrived covered in mud, couldn't look out of it, front tyre was flat, no fuel in the tank and the 'carpets' inside had an inch thick layer of dog hair on them, seats were dirty and the car stank. When I drove it the short distance back to the dealer they gave me an invoice for delivery and insurance, I refused to pay inciting the mess the car was in and told them that under my insurance that I was entitled to a courtecy car as I am covered to drive any car with the owners permission,

8 hours ago, lillianna3 said:

it arrived covered in mud, couldn't look out of it, front tyre was flat, no fuel in the tank and the 'carpets' inside had an inch thick layer of dog hair on them, seats were dirty and the car stank. When I drove it the short distance back to the dealer they gave me an invoice for delivery and insurance, I refused to pay inciting the mess the car was in and told them that under my insurance that I was entitled to a courtecy car as I am covered to drive any car with the owners permission,

I am covered to drive any car with the owners permission,  Speed Test

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club