Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cant get the oil plug out

G500

Got an old Focus Mk1. Looks like someones rounded the oil plug slightly in the past. Its not too bad *I think. But I cant get it out with the tools ive got. Im reluctant to make it worse attempting either, in case a garage can get it out fairly simply still. Not sure what theyd charge, havent got in touch yet. Ive got the oil and filter, but this plug is a pain. 

I just need another year or two out of this car, get me from A to B, so want to spend as little money on it as possible. If I can avoid taking it to a garage, I will. Id rather do things myself anyway if I can. 

How much oil will drain if i unscrew the filter ? Is it feasible to get away with replacing the filter and filling with new oil ? Or will hardly any oil drain ?

I don't think much oil will drain out. The easy fix is to buy a cheap electric oil drain pump and pump it out via the dipstick tube or buy a new drain plug and a Stillson wrench.

The Stillson Wrench should remove it even if it is rounded.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, G500 said:

Got an old Focus Mk1. Looks like someones rounded the oil plug slightly in the past. Its not too bad *I think. But I cant get it out with the tools ive got. Im reluctant to make it worse attempting either, in case a garage can get it out fairly simply still. Not sure what theyd charge, havent got in touch yet. Ive got the oil and filter, but this plug is a pain. 

I just need another year or two out of this car, get me from A to B, so want to spend as little money on it as possible. If I can avoid taking it to a garage, I will. Id rather do things myself anyway if I can. 

How much oil will drain if i unscrew the filter ? Is it feasible to get away with replacing the filter and filling with new oil ? Or will hardly any oil drain ?

any good independant garage should be able to drill the oil sump plug out for you, just make sure you got a new one ready to replace it with after. only a drop off oil would come out if you removed the filter, have you tried useing the next size socket down on the sump plug to get a better grip on it

Barely any willl come out the filter. If you're close to Suffolk I can most likely get it out for you. I often deal with ***** sump plugs. Mechanic by trade. Buy us a beer and a replacement sump plug. Euros do em for about £3. If not look at Screwfix. Irwin round off sockets are perfect for this. About £15 from memory and should also do the job easily. Hope it helps. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bashbarnard said:

Barely any willl come out the filter. If you're close to Suffolk I can most likely get it out for you. I often deal with ***** sump plugs. Mechanic by trade. Buy us a beer and a replacement sump plug. Euros do em for about £3. If not look at Screwfix. Irwin round off sockets are perfect for this. About £15 from memory and should also do the job easily. Hope it helps. 

Yep that's why I bought them they work perfect for the sump plug too.

30 minutes ago, bashbarnard said:

Might as well forget the filter idea then. I'm in Cheshire unfortunately. Round off sockets look a good call. I'll get in contact with my local garage to see what sort of price they reckon, and compare it to the electric pumps / round off sockets / stillson wrench, stillson wrench might be difficult due to access. 

Andypsp 

I think I tried a 12mm and couldnt get it on, I can see and feel correct sizes twisting off (Ive been careful not to mess it up further). Its slightly difficult to get get at from any angle besides below, and that half of the nut has rounded slightly, just enough I cant seem to get a grip. 

This car has been such a pain in the *****, but but good experience, I've learnt a lot from it, will definitely be at the back of my mind when im buying cars in future. 

it's always handy to have a selection of metric and AF sockets and possibly whitworth also. this way you can usually find a socket that you can hammer on to a rounded nut/bolt. another way if access isn't too bad is to use a file to file new flats onto the bolt head and then use smaller socket, 1mm or 2mm down. 

As above, the Irwin sockets or a set of stilsons should grip enough. 
the Irwin spiral sockets are superb! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, stef123 said:

the Irwin spiral sockets are superb! 

This.

If you really struggle, making a notch in it with a file or a dremel will usually allow to get it shifting with a meaty flathead although, if you're going down that route and are careful enough you could probably re-shape the hex anyway enough to get a smaller socket on comfortably.

Those sumps are made of really thin metal so tread carefully if you're thinking of using brute force and a lump hammer! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, WireyWhenWet said:

This.

If you really struggle, making a notch in it with a file or a dremel will usually allow to get it shifting with a meaty flathead although, if you're going down that route and are careful enough you could probably re-shape the hex anyway enough to get a smaller socket on comfortably.

I actually used my Dremel stone to melt off a swaybar link nut that wouldn't screw off very affective.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club