Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Sat nav on sync 3

Alex.S

I’ve searched sat nav, can’t find a thread on this. What’s your favourite sat nav? 

Since having the car 6 months now , I’ve had android auto with a Samsung s5 (which I never liked) had trouble with google maps which I now realise was a problem with the antiquated phone. Screen would freeze , voice recognition would stop working sometimes. No good. That got me using Ford Navigation, graphics aren’t great and directions can be quite vague . Live Traffic is far from perfect too, especially considering we’re having to pay for it after 2 years (?).  Now got an iPhone 7 ,big memory for music is great. Had to do 2 long journeys into areas I don’t know yesterday, used Ford Nav first then Apple Maps . My conclusion is Apple maps is much better. Only thing is no satellite view and it has to be plugged into usb (not a huge problem) but wireless should be coming soon . 

This is quite tricky. Using the Ford navigation means you get the route in front of you in the mini navigation  screen and reminders if you are using the digital Speedo or another screen as you approach a turn so you don’t need to look left. 
live traffic is completely useless. I dont have a clue what it does. Ive never had any helpful information yet. And it doesn't tell you about problems on your route ever.  Or give you an alternative. 
if you use Apple car play you can download WAZE. This is quite good fun and tells you about potholes, incidents, traffic cameras average speed areas etc. But it doesn’t link to your mini display or have the detailed turn visual instructions at motorway junctions etc. 
It will also beep once at you if you’ve entered a speed area and you are slightly over the limit. The Ford system can detect some cameras and says caution and puts an ! On the map. But the traffic sign recognition is not always accurate and it sometimes gives you false 60s in a 30 limit. Or vice versa. 
The other maps are all reasonable but Waze has a bit more. 
but not the link with your screen. I use all of them at different times depending on the journey. 
It is personal choice. They all have some great features and some failings. 
😃

• Like 2

I would probably use google maps, it is accessible on Apple CarPlay but as soon as I use Siri I then have voices of Siri and google assistant at same time!

Live traffic shows me congestion, SOMETIMES road works. Google and Apple are much more accurate. Better for alternative routes and timing too. 

Warnings about potholes in Glasgow would be a continuous running commentary! 

Is waze Apple or Android? 

• Like 1

Just got the Waze app. I’ll give it a try.

😊

• Like 1

Waze was independent but is now owned by Google, who have started to poach some of the important live updates such as mobile speed cameras and user reported accidents  from Waze, but I don't think they take all of the info that Waze has.

• Like 2

I'll be the odd one out and say I actually like fords nav, Live traffic can be a little hit and miss, don't forget when you have your route set the voice command "traffic" will list incidents on your route ..

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

I'll be the odd one out and say I actually like fords nav, Live traffic can be a little hit and miss, don't forget when you have your route set the voice command "traffic" will list incidents on your route ..

Just say “traffic” after setting destination? I didn’t know that, even without route set it shows congestion with red lines. 

That would explain it not picking up on roadworks.

Built in GPS was a big requirement for me as I don’t like being completely reliant on a phone.

If I’m on a 5 lane stretch of the motorway Ford nav will say “keep left” or ”keep right” where as Apple maps will show 5 arrows and exactly which lane to be in. I have Apple music too so ties in nicely. 

• Like 1

I prefer the look of the built in navigation as well probably because I have had Here Maps on my phone for years .because of its excellent offline capabilities. I don't have an Apple phone but the Apple App does sound good.

Slightly off topic for anyone without built in Sat Nav and goes to remote places with little 4g coverage and has a phone with either a lot of storage or a SD  Card then the Here App is class leading in offline mode. It is the same system that Ford uses.

The only drawback with it is that if used online it is very data and resource hungry so it needs to be force stopped after use.

• Like 2

Car play options are quite limited

Waze is good for potholes etc, but rapidly becomes annoying. google is great, but requires an internet connection. Using it with satellite view is cool though!

my preference is tomtom. It’s not ideal, and feature wise they are painfully slow, but the routing is excellent. I just wish theyd add the traffic bar to CarPlay. Downside: it costs.

I'd love tomtom app to be available with Android Auto, then I'd pay for it. Otherwise the Ford Sat Nav is fine for me.

I like some others think the Ford sat nav is best all round as works and looks  best with the Sync module. It's just a shame they seem unable/unwilling to release regular map updates. I'm one of those still stuck on F7  in an almost new car. I eventually tried Google via Android auto after 1 year and can see why I didnt bother before . At best its poor compared with the Ford sat nav. Come on Ford pull you finger out unofficial F9 maps are already circulating out there.

• Like 1

The annoying thing about map updates is that Here update their offline maps about every 6 months so the problem is not at their end. 

• Like 1

I thought Ford Nav was best for a while there but I’ve realised at complicated junctions Apple maps is better , plus Apple satellite view and wireless Carplay will soon be available. 

4 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

tried Google via Android auto after 1 year and can see why I didnt bother before

I had trouble with google maps on Android auto but I think it was more a problem with my old Samsung phone. 

on Ford nav I’ve had the message “recalculating route due to traffic” I’ve ignored that as I knew the road , got there ..no traffic. 

A lot of people swear by google, I can’t really comment. I do like Apple , will try Waze but if it’s google owned then on Carplay there’s bound to be issues. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 7:49 PM, Mark-UK said:

Thanks for that tip. There’s always something you miss when trying to read the handbook cover to cover. 👍😃

• Like 1

I prefer the look of the Ford inbuilt maps but lack of updates is a bummer. My 2nd choice is waze but unless you use it regularly it can be hard to remember where items are to report things and by time I've found it I'm another mile down the road.

Not sure if Google can interact with waze other than setting directions, as would be good to say *report pothole to waze*, and it would be done. I keep meaning to try.

Looks like Apple Carplay will only be wireless on sync4. Its available now in Audi’s and mercs 

It seems you can indeed use Google assistant to interact more with waze....
Navigation actions:

“Take me home”

“Drive to work”

“Navigate to [Name of business or address]”

“Find gas stations”

“Find restaurants”

“Find parking”

“Stop navigation”

“What’s my ETA?”

“Show alternative routes”

“Show route overview”

“Show turn by turn directions”

“Recenter the map”

Reporting actions:

“Report traffic”

“Report [moderate, heavy, standstill] traffic”

“Report a crash”

“Report a [major, minor] crash”

“Report police”

“Report hazard”

“Report flood”

“Report construction”

“Report object”

“Report broken traffic light”

“Report pothole”

“Report stopped vehicle”

"Report stopped vehicle on shoulder"

“Report roadkill”

“Report animal”

“Report missing sign”

“Report fog”

“Report hail”

“Report flood”

“Report ice”

Settings actions:

“Turn on / off voice directions”

“Allow tolls / Avoid tolls”

“Allow highways / Avoid highways

• Like 1

Yes, I’ve got Apple Carplay , If I have google or Waze set up for a journey, as soon as I press the voice recognition button it reverts back to Apple maps. No good when your doing 70 on the motorway. Tho today I unwittingly had Waze running in the background somehow and got a well timed pothole alert. 

Re commands,  lists like that are essential. Also google and Waze are same company ,I think Google’s made sure they aren’t properly compatible with Apple. And vice versa 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club