Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Extras you wouldn't choose again?

Blatto

Had my ST-Line X 140 for just over 5 months now and in in general I'm very happy with it.

Some of the extras that I wouldn't bother with again though are :-

Reversing camera, maybe mines faulty but it's useless in the dark, way over exposed can't see a thing. Also, during the recent very wet weather it gets dirty so quickly you can't see anything either, day or night. with hindsight I should have chosen the rear/front parking sensors only.

Lane keeping assist (or whatever they call it), not strictly a chosen extra, it was part of the ST-Line X, but I find it pretty annoying so leave it turned off.

Engine Stop/Start, again not a chosen option but also fairly useless. In my tests it doesn't save any fuel and unless you are stopping for more than 20 seconds or so it's also very annoying, also annoying that you can't choose the default to off, you have to turn it off everytime you start the engine.

Door edge protectors, would be ok if they worked, mine have just got stuck so they don't operate, took it back to the garage and they fixed them but they only lasted a week. Can't be bothered to keep taking it back, they look cheap and nasty so I doubt they'll ever work reliably.

Which ones (if any) do you regret paying for and which ones would you rather have?

• Like 1

I'm not sure I'd choose it again, but I could live without it, would be the Sun/moon roof. It lets more light in, but I don't think when open it makes much of a difference, compared to opening a window. My parents car has a full Panoramic roof, (which doesn't open), which lets far more light in and doesn't really restrict headroom.

I like the rear camera, but have to agree, this winter it does get mucky very quickly. I wish Ford would fit a washer to it to clean it.

I have wondered about getting door protectors retro-fitted, but after your, and other peoples negative comments (in other threads) about them, I'm now quite sceptical about them.

I think people miss the point about start / stop, it's not so much about fuel economy but more about reducing polution from cars sat idling in stationary traffic.

Ford are required to produce cars to strict anti-pollution specifications.

Reverse camera- I love mine, admittedly it does attract dirt and water but a quick rub with your thumb before setting off works wonders (admittedly I wish it had some sort of hood to reduce dirt and water getting blown down over it while driving).

Door protectors - a shot of lubricating spray / silicone spray keeps them working smoothly.

Lane keeping - it's all about safety, can anyone here put their hand on their heart and honestly say they have never turned to look at something beside their car and not inadvertedly steered towards it or being fatigued on a long trip and wandered between lanes ?

Ford are required to meet certain NCAP regulations.

I've seen people complain that adaptive cruise is dangerous but having recently got a car with that fitted I have found it excellent, far safer than "dumb" cruise control and good fun to boot (pulling out from behind a slow moving vehicle on a motorway and the car basically overtaking under it's own control is cool).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

A wife, kids, a fixed rate mortgage,, multiroom tv subscription, 😂 PCP Finance 

If keeping the car for more than four years I wouldn't choose heated windscreen, bluetooth, or Satnav 

I later changed to aftermarket headunit which is way far better than any stock system, also insurance company dont cover heated windscreen when replacing they cost extra, 

• Like 1

Currently undecided about heated seats. I’ve always disliked them because it makes me feel like I’ve wet myself, but in the ST seats and in this weather, it’s essential...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blatto said:

Had my ST-Line X 140 for just over 5 months now and in in general I'm very happy with it.

Some of the extras that I wouldn't bother with again though are :-

Reversing camera, maybe mines faulty but it's useless in the dark, way over exposed can't see a thing. Also, during the recent very wet weather it gets dirty so quickly you can't see anything either, day or night. with hindsight I should have chosen the rear/front parking sensors only.

Lane keeping assist (or whatever they call it), not strictly a chosen extra, it was part of the ST-Line X, but I find it pretty annoying so leave it turned off.

Engine Stop/Start, again not a chosen option but also fairly useless. In my tests it doesn't save any fuel and unless you are stopping for more than 20 seconds or so it's also very annoying, also annoying that you can't choose the default to off, you have to turn it off everytime you start the engine.

Door edge protectors, would be ok if they worked, mine have just got stuck so they don't operate, took it back to the garage and they fixed them but they only lasted a week. Can't be bothered to keep taking it back, they look cheap and nasty so I doubt they'll ever work reliably.

Which ones (if any) do you regret paying for and which ones would you rather have?

I think its good that it defaults back personally, not sure if you are aware but it can also be turned off at anytime on your journey, I often forget to turn it off before i start my journey, never tried to see if it would turn back on while driving though.

Watch these:

Real world Tests

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

also insurance company dont cover heated windscreen when replacing they cost extra, 

They do over here...  Have to fit original spec parts so if it came with a heated screen, light sensor and IR reflective heat-shielding then that's what they have to fit...

I know as they brought the wrong screen out for my Mk2.5...had no IR coating, I said I honestly didn't care but they wouldn't fit it and returned with the correct one a few days later. :rolleyes:  Cost £750 for the screen back in 2015, insurance covered the full cost, I just paid the £75 excess.  They also broke the rain/light sensor so I eventually got a brand new one of those for free as well!

I've never bought a brand new car so not had the choice of any optional extras.  There aren't really any I would specifically avoid though, the more tech, the better as far as I'm concerned! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

Door protectors are too filmsy, aye.

Park assist I'll never use.

Stop start that never activates.

6 hours ago, Jim H said:

Watch these:

I had already seen those, but in my testing I got no improvement in mpg.

11 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

I think people miss the point about start / stop, it's not so much about fuel economy but more about reducing polution from cars sat idling in stationary traffic.

I doubt it would make much difference in my journeys.

If they were really concerned about pollution they would remove catalytic converters which result in us all burning 10% more fossil fuel and just convert the pollutants into something that isn't monitored so it looks like it's disappeared. Also the use of precious metals and the devestation caused in the countries in which they are mined.

9 hours ago, Lenny said:

I wouldn't choose heated windscreen

That's the one thing I would really miss now. The only downside being the replacement cost.

3 minutes ago, Blatto said:

That's the one thing I would really miss now. The only downside being the replacement cost.

That;s the one thing I'd miss If/when I get another car without one. Go out to frosted screen, turn on engine, press button for max defrost, within a minute or two, it's clear. 😄  No messing with de-icer, or warm water.

• Like 1

18 inch wheels; they may look great, but the roads are so bad, I am considering swapping them for 16 inch with regular tyres.

• Like 1

18 inch wheels are fine with 235/50 tyres. Try that size, you'll love it. 

235/50/18 wouldn't even fit in a fiesta wheel arch! :laugh:

I'd forgotten wheels can be optional though...so yeah massive wheels and low profile tyres are definitely something I wouldn't chose!

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club