Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Using tyre weld

bobfather

I know a lot of manufacturers now provide tyre weld kits in place of spare wheels and I'm considering it for my Edge but I'm worried that the goop may impede the operation of the pressure sender.  I'm very uncomfortable with the standard space saver, I'm happy with it being narrower but it doesn't seem right that it stands a full 2.5 inches shorter that the standard wheel.  So bad in fact that it makes it impossible to close the power tailgate due to body twisting.  Does anyone have knowledge or experience of tyre weld issues regarding the pressure sender?

87900292_1222606351464092_8505530225411489792_n.jpg

Some tyre centres will not repair a puncture when this stuff has been used and will only sell you a new tyre, remember that the space saver is only to be used to get you to the nearest tyre centre to get the punctured one repaired.

Your space saver tyre is only to get you to a repair shop. You can only do 40 miles at 50 mph.... that said I've done 70 in a 2001 vauxhall corsa on a space saver lol.

As mentioned above the tyre weld will usually mean a new tyre is advised to be fitted. My advice is of the internal area of the tyre isn't damaged just clean out the tyre weld and plug the screw hole. ( I've plugged screw holes on many vehicles, even at the side of a motorway when afor a close friends business, the customers tyre weld can was empty. 

Hope this helps 

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

You could carry something like this-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113790147040

Of course only for temporary use with caution and no use on splits or side wall damage.

These work very well, many countries accept it as a perminant repair. I think it's safe for a rear tyre, not sure I'd trust it more than emergency on the front. I've done one repair using this system, works well, completely sealed, so I can give it 100% success on a sample of one.

I should add, I've put one of these kits in the boot, I think I trust it more than the badly sized space saver.

• Like 1

I’ve used these tyre puncture kits for years and never had any issues or need to replace a tyre after I had repaired it. I always carry one in the car. 

• Like 1

Just pop a proper spare wheel in place of the space saver Bobfather

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club